GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

THN's top-5 worst UFA signings of 2009

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1THN's top-5 worst UFA signings of 2009 Empty THN's top-5 worst UFA signings of 2009 Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:57 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/27453-Screen-Shots-Worst-UFA-signings-of-2009.html

Nothing Earth-shattering there. Sather makes the list twice, so just another year like all the others.

Edit: It was actually a top-5, sorry.

Last edited by wprager on Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

I agree with this list a lot more than the last one I read, I'm drawing a blank where that was though.

It was a Top 5 worst and Neil was at #5. Crying

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I kinda agree, but saying that Spacek's salary is awful because Brent Burns and Seabrook get 3.55 and 3.5 is kinda stupid I would say.
Wait til those 2 hit the market...

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Really? Khabibulin? I didn't and still don't think his signing was bad at all, and I know a lot of the "experts" on TSN and SportsCenter agree with me. He was Chicago's best goalie last year to boot. Surely I'm not alone in thinking this?

If Gaborik plays 82 games and scores 50 goals, his signing will look really good. But I agree that on the prinicple of signing an injury prone player to that much dough and that long a term is a recipe for disaster, which surprises nobody.

And paying an average player $3M when you've got capable prospects that can take his spot, or even better, a younger player who was your top scorer that you let walk away in lieu of?

Neil's $2M is also bad, though not making this list, but while we all know why he is getting it (for his on and off ice character), it certainly isn't for his scoring touch. But you have to think it is an overpayment when these types of players get typically 3/4 what he got or less.

I dont even get Antropov's signing as being that bad. Atlanta picked up a pretty good player to help Kovulchuk... how is that a bad signing at all? A little much, obviously, but still.

The worst signing of the summer was Gaborik for sure, amazing how they dont put Komisarek in there eh... lets see how good he is without Markov. They now have a new Bryan McCabe except he wont score.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I still think Redden should have made the list. I know he was 2008, but still.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Kotalik wasn't great. If you were going to spend that money, then use it on Zherdev - or better yet, get someone with more grit.

Gaborik was insane. I realize how good he is when he's healthy, but really, this guy has chronic groin issues, he won't be healthy. And to rid yourself of one of the worst contracts in the league and then sink that money right back into another player is sheer lunacy. Someone should put a leash on Sather.

Spacek was an okay signing, makes the Habs D so deep.

Bulin was too long, but it was a good signing. Obviously he's got more to give.

I dunno. There weren't many horrible signings that I can think of thus far.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum