GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Toronto Blue Jays Talk

+28
Hoags
wprager
spader
Riprock
Flo The Action
tim1_2
TheAvatar
stempniaksen
Hobiesens
Ev
MsConduct10
dennycrane
SDH89
SensHulk
jawal
Tuk Tuk
The Silfer Server
Bramlet07
caissie_1
Hayden
ferret
PKC
Hockeyhero22000
SensFan71
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
32 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 67]

61Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 5 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:55 am

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

That's what I've been saying all along.

You take Halladay, you take Lind and Hill and you put the best Diddle talent you can find around them and you let those guys take your team to the promised land.

We should have a rotation next year of Halladay, McGowan, Romero, Marcum, Litsch/Cecil which if you ask me is a premier pitching staff in the majors.

Then you have Hill and Lind with potential keep-overs in Rolen and Scutaro. You need two power-hitters injected into your lineup, a utility first baseman with speed (stealing bases is a major weakness for this team) and potentially another right fielder if you trade Rios. Although to be honest, with regards to Rios, I just feel like he's being misused. I think this guy should be batting second or third in the order to maximize his contact hitting ability and the fact that he does have decent wheels.

As far as Wells is concerned, I think it's time the Jays tried to move him. Even though he is a phenomenal fielder (many times over gold glove winner), the money we pay him belongs to someone with major pop in their bat, something that Wells has just lost at random.

This guy should be a perennial 30 HR/100+ RBI hitter with elite defensive ability. Instead we get the defence from him and the occassional hit.

If the Jays can keep that rotation I mentioned above, have a batting lineup built around Hill, Lind, Rolen, Scutaro, Rios, Snider and Thigpen and inject two power hitters into the lineup, you are looking at a potential championship calibre team.

But they need to fire Ricciardi and find someone who can get those two power-hitters into the lineup.

62Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 5 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:56 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

would Bryan colangelo be interested in cloning himself and letting the clone run the Jays?

63Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 5 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:00 pm

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

MurderOnIce wrote:
Sure Ryan had a poor year but he only came out for 4 save opportunities this year. Last year he was 32 of 36 with almost a K per inning. It is hard for a guy that is used to being the closer to move to a different role especially when the organization is in disarray. It is like going from being a gun slinger in the wild west to pointing a water gun in the clowns mouth hoping you beat the fat kid next to you... I am not saying he has been good or defending him as the best option but I am saying 'if you are paying him anyway, might as well use him'...

BJ Ryan had to be let go. He just didn't have major league "stuff" anymore. After his elbow surgery from last year, he lost close to 7 mph velocity off his fast ball. Which seems like it would be manageable until you realize his pre-surgery fast ball only touched close to the 90 mph mark.

When you have a closer tossing 82-83 mph fastballs, mixed in with an average complement of sinkers and curveballs, you're asking for trouble. Not to mention, given his throwing mechanics (the significant inverted L), he is extremely prone to shoulder and elbow injury now.

BJ had to be let go, he just wasn't useful anymore.

64Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 5 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:10 pm

SensFan71 wrote:would Bryan colangelo be interested in cloning himself and letting the clone run the Jays?

Heh. He's not had much better success. I don't follow the Raptors much, but it seems he is retooling the team every damn offseason.

65Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 5 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:12 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Zoolander wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:would Bryan colangelo be interested in cloning himself and letting the clone run the Jays?

Heh. He's not had much better success. I don't follow the Raptors much, but it seems he is retooling the team every damn offseason.

well the pundits are figuring he is going for it this year, I think he is basically trying to start the winning or he will be losing CB4, I am not a huge B-Ball fan either, but do pay attention while watching sports centre.

66Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 5 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:14 pm

SensFan71 wrote:
Zoolander wrote:

well the pundits are figuring he is going for it this year, I think he is basically trying to start the winning or he will be losing CB4, I am not a huge B-Ball fan either, but do pay attention while watching sports centre.

Hasn't that been his plan for a couple of seasons now? They've brought in guys like Marion, O'Neal etc, and they don't seem to last. Too much turnover can't be good.

67Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 5 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:17 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Zoolander wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
Zoolander wrote:

Hasn't that been his plan for a couple of seasons now? They've brought in guys like Marion, O'Neal etc, and they don't seem to last. Too much turnover can't be good.

apparently they figure this round of signings is going to work, which I am skeptical, another superstar will leave the team for greener pastures (Bosh) and the team will stink it up again.

68Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 5 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:19 pm

SensFan71 wrote:
Zoolander wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:
Zoolander wrote:

apparently they figure this round of signings is going to work, which I am skeptical, another superstar will leave the team for greener pastures (Bosh) and the team will stink it up again.

Well, let's hope they trade him before he walks for nothing. We can also hope the return is better than the steaming pile of excrement the Raptors got for VC.

69Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 5 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:21 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Zoolander wrote:Heh. He's not had much better success. I don't follow the Raptors much, but it seems he is retooling the team every damn offseason.

He did it right this time apparently. I don't follow B-ball, but people are excited.

70Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 5 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:11 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I see Ricciardi has set a "loose" deadline of July 28th for a Halladay trade...

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=285282

Madness.

Unless the trade is totally unbelievable and sets the Jays up for years to come (ie: the perfect trade) don't trade him, sign him LONG term, open up the wallet and build around him.

This "perfect trade" would have to be something along the lines of the Expos/Indians trade way back in 2002.

71Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 5 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:47 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:I see Ricciardi has set a "loose" deadline of July 28th for a Halladay trade...

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=285282

Madness.

Unless the trade is totally unbelievable and sets the Jays up for years to come (ie: the perfect trade) don't trade him, sign him LONG term, open up the wallet and build around him.

This "perfect trade" would have to be something along the lines of the Expos/Indians trade way back in 2002.

Please build around him. The Jays are a young, talented team who ran into tremendous injuries (all to pitchers...not acceptable). Also, don't trade Rolen, he's my favourite Jay besides Halliday. Trade Rios for a bag of Dung, or Wells (ha ha).

72Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 5 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:56 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Heh. Moving Wells and his monster contract ain't gonna be easy even without a cap... he's gotta start earning that moulah.

73Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 5 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:58 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Heh. Moving Wells and his monster contract ain't gonna be easy even without a cap... he's gotta start earning that moulah.

I saw someone on TSN speculating the Jays would be moving just about everyone BUT Wells! Ahhhhh!

74Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 5 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:13 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:Heh. Moving Wells and his monster contract ain't gonna be easy even without a cap... he's gotta start earning that moulah.

I saw someone on TSN speculating the Jays would be moving just about everyone BUT Wells! Ahhhhh!

Yeah, Wells is untradeable unfortunately. Too much money still owed, too long, too mediocre.

75Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 5 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:56 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I heard an interview today with Ricciardi and he said that Roy has told the Jays he WILL test Free Agency.

This was news to me.

I was under the impression that Halladay was open to staying a Blue Jay.

Did I miss something?

76Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 5 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:I heard an interview today with Ricciardi and he said that Roy has told the Jays he WILL test Free Agency.

This was news to me.

Did I miss something?

I heard the same. If he's going, I'd like to get something. That changes my tune a little.

77Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 5 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:58 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:I heard an interview today with Ricciardi and he said that Roy has told the Jays he WILL test Free Agency.

This was news to me.

Did I miss something?

I heard the same. If he's going, I'd like to get something. That changes my tune a little.
I was quite surprised... but I agree, if he's told Jays management he's walking... well, trade him and get something.

Very puzzling though...

The interviewer just glossed over it and didn't question him...

78Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 5 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:12 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
Zoolander wrote:Heh. He's not had much better success. I don't follow the Raptors much, but it seems he is retooling the team every damn offseason.

He did it right this time apparently. I don't follow B-ball, but people are excited.

The trading away of O'Neill and Marion were both salary dumps. The signing of Turkoglu was solid though, he fits the raptors' style of play, which is more international. It's more difficult to defend as no other team in the NBA really plays it, so team's, in order to stop them need to adapt. They play a game where everyone can shoot, and they just distribute the ball really well. And with the emergence of Bargnani, the Raptors have two options down low who can also shoot the ball.

I barely watch basketball, but i just thoroughly impressed myself there. Although there is a chance that was all Dung.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum