GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Toronto Blue Jays Talk

+28
Hoags
wprager
spader
Riprock
Flo The Action
tim1_2
TheAvatar
stempniaksen
Hobiesens
Ev
MsConduct10
dennycrane
SDH89
SensHulk
jawal
Tuk Tuk
The Silfer Server
Bramlet07
caissie_1
Hayden
ferret
PKC
Hockeyhero22000
SensFan71
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
32 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 36 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 67]

76Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:57 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:I heard an interview today with Ricciardi and he said that Roy has told the Jays he WILL test Free Agency.

This was news to me.

I was under the impression that Halladay was open to staying a Blue Jay.

Did I miss something?

I heard the same. If he's going, I'd like to get something. That changes my tune a little.

77Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:58 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:I heard an interview today with Ricciardi and he said that Roy has told the Jays he WILL test Free Agency.

This was news to me.

I was under the impression that Halladay was open to staying a Blue Jay.

Did I miss something?

I heard the same. If he's going, I'd like to get something. That changes my tune a little.
I was quite surprised... but I agree, if he's told Jays management he's walking... well, trade him and get something.

Very puzzling though...

The interviewer just glossed over it and didn't question him...

78Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:12 pm

The Silfer Server

Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
Zoolander wrote:Heh. He's not had much better success. I don't follow the Raptors much, but it seems he is retooling the team every damn offseason.

He did it right this time apparently. I don't follow B-ball, but people are excited.

The trading away of O'Neill and Marion were both salary dumps. The signing of Turkoglu was solid though, he fits the raptors' style of play, which is more international. It's more difficult to defend as no other team in the NBA really plays it, so team's, in order to stop them need to adapt. They play a game where everyone can shoot, and they just distribute the ball really well. And with the emergence of Bargnani, the Raptors have two options down low who can also shoot the ball.

I barely watch basketball, but i just thoroughly impressed myself there. Although there is a chance that was all Dung.

79Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:59 pm

Eklund, that's right Eklund from HB, has Halladay going to the Phillies as an E4.

It gets more laughable by the minute over there?

80Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:07 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Bass Destruction wrote:The trading away of O'Neill and Marion were both salary dumps. The signing of Turkoglu was solid though, he fits the raptors' style of play, which is more international. It's more difficult to defend as no other team in the NBA really plays it, so team's, in order to stop them need to adapt. They play a game where everyone can shoot, and they just distribute the ball really well. And with the emergence of Bargnani, the Raptors have two options down low who can also shoot the ball.

I barely watch basketball, but i just thoroughly impressed myself there. Although there is a chance that was all Dung.

I never watch B-ball, but I figure it's got a cap, so it's gotta be pretty similar to the NHL. :^^^^: O'Neill didn't fit the mold properly, I have no idea why. Marion was good, but they sent out an offer sheet to some dude from the Pacers, so they had to clear that in case it went through (it did) because they had a deal with that Turkey guy on July 1st (it went through late).

They got better for sure. Not sure how much though, but some people seem excited. Shrug

81Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:08 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Zoolander wrote:Eklund, that's right Eklund from HB, has Halladay going to the Phillies as an E4.

You're kidding. Facepalm

82Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:09 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Zoolander wrote:Eklund, that's right Eklund from HB, has Halladay going to the Phillies as an E4.

You're kidding. Facepalm

He attributes this knowledge to "sources" too. Gold. Laughing3

83Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:13 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

He's caught in his web of lies. Facepalm

84Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:14 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Ek should just stop... now.

As for Halladay... if he's really gonna test the market... Jays better get a deal done, and it better be a whopper.

85Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:00 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

JP's comments are getting some press now...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2009/07/23/ricciardi_halladay_talks/

86Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:28 pm

jawal

jawal
Rookie
Rookie

shabbs wrote:JP's comments are getting some press now...

[url=http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2009/07/23/ricciardi_halladay_talks/
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2009/07/23/ricciardi_halladay_talks/[/quote[/url]]

JP, in different interviews, says that teams will have to pay more now in a trade than in off season and that Halladay will test free agency(which means bye bye Blue Jays). Thus you have to conclude that JP needs to trade Halladay before the trade deadline to maximize his value.

Only a team that had a chance this year would trade for Halladay. Philadelphia is one of the teams that is headed to post season play.

Hey maybe Ek will get one right(albeit in baseball rather than his supposed area of expertise).

87Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:33 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jawal wrote:
JP, in different interviews, says that teams will have to pay more now in a trade than in off season and that Halladay will test free agency(which means bye bye Blue Jays). Thus you have to conclude that JP needs to trade Halladay before the trade deadline to maximize his value.

Only a team that had a chance this year would trade for Halladay. Philadelphia is one of the teams that is headed to post season play.

Hey maybe Ek will get one right(albeit in baseball rather than his supposed area of expertise).

Let this deadline come and go if you have to. Next winter, teams will be lining up to kill themselves to get Doc for a full season. I think either way - if it's true Doc wants to test the market - we'll get a substantial return for him.

88Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:51 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:

You're kidding. Facepalm

As long as it happens after tomorrow's game.

I'll put more stock in this rumour than his hockey rumours, just because i don't think he could get any worse.

89Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:49 am

shabbs wrote:JP's comments are getting some press now...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2009/07/23/ricciardi_halladay_talks/

Two things stuck out from this article...

1) Halladay wants to move on but did it in a quiet classy manner. Telling Retardy he wants to test free agency well in advance. Something Ricciardi should have kept to himself

2) Ricciardi wants out too. He said '... even if the team offers him an extension, he’s unsure whether he would take it because a rebuild phase would be too similar to what he encountered when he first was hired as Jays GM in 2001.' UMMM are you just saying you took over a team that required a rebuild 8 years ago and you never accomplished that?

Wow, get rid of this guy NOW. You don't want him to be the guy making this decision. Holy crap!

90Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:21 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well, I guess it was only a matter of time that it all came out. Ricciardi may have been shopping around silently for quite some time but for some reason, when media ask him questions, he gives them the full answer. He never shies away from giving the details for some reason.

My recommendation:

Step 1) Sack Ricciardi NOW
Step 2) Bring in a new SVP/GM
Step 3) Sign Halladay long term
Step 4) Spend, spend, spend!

91Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:31 am

shabbs wrote:Well, I guess it was only a matter of time that it all came out. Ricciardi may have been shopping around silently for quite some time but for some reason, when media ask him questions, he gives them the full answer. He never shies away from giving the details for some reason.

My recommendation:

As long as it doesn't increase my Rogers bill...

92Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:38 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

MurderOnIce wrote:
shabbs wrote:Well, I guess it was only a matter of time that it all came out. Ricciardi may have been shopping around silently for quite some time but for some reason, when media ask him questions, he gives them the full answer. He never shies away from giving the details for some reason.

My recommendation:

As long as it doesn't increase my Rogers bill...
An increasing Rogers bill is inevitable...

93Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 6 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:36 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So, I was listening to The Deacon (Doug Farraway) on the Fan 590 today and naturally the main topic was Ricciardi and Halladay. Lots of angry Jays fans out there, let me tell ya. Anyway, Doug indicated that Roy had quietly approached Jays management and said that if they were going to stray from the original plan and decide to not become contenders (ie: a commence a rebuild) then he would like to test Free Agency so he can go to a contender.

This is very different from what Ricciardi made it sound like yesterday.

It sounds to me that Halladay is on board with the original plan with the expectations that the Jays are going to try and become contenders and not do a whole rebuild. In that scenario, he wants to stay a Jay.

However, if they change their tune and do a rebuild, then he'll move on. Another 8 years of rebuilding is not his cup of tea.

Totally understandable.

Ricciardi basically threw Halladay under the bus yesterday making it sound like he had told the Jays he's going to Free Agency no matter what.

In light of this, my recommendations above must now become mandatory moves if the Jays want to retain any fans...

The Jays absolutely have to:
1) Sack Ricciardi NOW
2) Bring in a new SVP/GM
3) Sign Halladay long term to build around him
4) Spend, spend, spend and become contenders

Ricciardi must go. NOW.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 36 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum