GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jays: Rios traded - for nothing!

+2
senskid11
shabbs
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! Empty Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:09 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Holy moly...

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=287338

Was placed on waivers (which is common in MLB - not like the NHL), White Sox claimed him and the Jays let him walk for nothing.

This team is truly messed up. Rios' contract wasn't that bad and he was playing OK... he was not a candidate for being let go for nothing...

What are the Jays doing?

Last edited by shabbs on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:21 pm

senskid11

Prospect
Prospect

Jays Gm sucks big time

3Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:29 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Ricciardi's legacy will be so choice... letting Rios walk for nothing, the man that traded Doc...

4Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:18 pm

shabbs wrote:Ricciardi's legacy will be so choice... letting Rios walk for nothing, the man that traded Doc...

The same Rios that could have been traded for a Cy Young winner only a couple of seasons ago?

When is Riccardi going to be fired? I don't follow the Jays closely, and Riccardi is the biggest reason why.

5Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:22 pm

From Riccardi:

"It's not from a standpoint of a financial dump, that's not the message we're trying to send here."

You're right J.P., that's not the whole message you are trying to send. The whole message is that you wanted out of the contract and were willing to take nothing in return (which is the very definition of a salary dump isn't it?), and you are a clueless, terrible GM who has more lives than Don Waddell.

If I were a season ticket holder, I'd really be questioning why I continue to support this laughing stock. Did MLSE buy the Jays and I didn't hear about it?

6Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:33 pm

jawal

jawal
Rookie
Rookie

senskid11 wrote:Jays Gm sucks big time

I agree.

I was in Toronto this weekend to watch the three games vs the Orioles. Rios played the first two games and had a home run in each game. Thus he leaves a good impression.

While I liked Rios and thought he was a good player, his contract is ridiculous and JP is the GM who offered Rios the contract.

This is marginally better than the contract for BJ Ryan who is being paid about $10 million by the Jays not to pitch for the Jays.(this year and next)

7Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:44 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Holy moly...

Was placed on waivers (which is common in MLB - not like the NHL), White Sox claimed him and the Jays let him walk for nothing.

This team is truly messed up. Rios' contract wasn't that bad and he was playing OK... he was not a candidate for being let go for nothing...

What are the Jays doing?

The issue here is that Alex Rios had hit a horrendous snag in his career. He can't hit consistently, he's a .265 with an average number of homers and an average number of RBIs. His right field is average as well, the Sox think he's better suited to center field, we'll see.

Would you want to pay an average player 11 million per year for 5 more years? It's bad enough that we have Wells in center having a below average season - and we can't waive him because he's got a NMC.

What Riccardi should be fired for is giving a young guy with potential, the amount of money he did. That is just a crap contract and Rios couldn't live up to it, so the Jays walk away from his contract.

Beautiful. And don't blame Riccardi for the Giants trade not going down, it was San Fran that walked away from that trade.

Lind - Wells - Snider. Or Lind goes to first base and Overbay is traded (if there's any value as well), and we buy one Diddle of a DH, or we buy a solid fielder, or we buy a pitcher to back Halliday up and hope our young guys can come to play next year.

We have the best 2nd baseball IMO in the majors, we have an awesome LF in Lind, one of the best pitchers in the game - and Snider is going to be sick. We have the nucleaus, and now we have some $$.

Riccardi should be fired after the season (or now seeing as how he can't do anything else), but I will say that this was an excellent move. Salary dump? Sure, if you call dumping an average player being paid elite money a salary dump.

8Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:56 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:Holy moly...

What are the Jays doing?

The issue here is that Alex Rios had hit a horrendous snag in his career. He can't hit consistently, he's a .265 with an average number of homers and an average number of RBIs. His right field is average as well, the Sox think he's better suited to center field, we'll see.

Would you want to pay an average player 11 million per year for 5 more years? It's bad enough that we have Wells in center having a below average season - and we can't waive him because he's got a NMC.

What Riccardi should be fired for is giving a young guy with potential, the amount of money he did. That is just a crap contract and Rios couldn't live up to it, so the Jays walk away from his contract.

Beautiful. And don't blame Riccardi for the Giants trade not going down, it was San Fran that walked away from that trade.

Lind - Wells - Snider. Or Lind goes to first base and Overbay is traded (if there's any value as well), and we buy one Diddle of a DH, or we buy a solid fielder, or we buy a pitcher to back Halliday up and hope our young guys can come to play next year.

We have the best 2nd baseball IMO in the majors, we have an awesome LF in Lind, one of the best pitchers in the game - and Snider is going to be sick. We have the nucleaus, and now we have some $$.

Riccardi should be fired after the season (or now seeing as how he can't do anything else), but I will say that this was an excellent move. Salary dump? Sure, if you call dumping an average player being paid elite money a salary dump.

Why haven't they done the same with Wells.

9Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:02 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
Why haven't they done the same with Wells.

It's bad enough that we have Wells in center having a below
average season - and we can't waive him because he's got a NMC.

10Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:23 am

The starting pitching doesn't really need much tweaking, just health.
Select 5 of:
Halladay
Romero
Marcum
McGowan
Listch
Tallet
Cecil

The Bullpen will require a replacement for Jason Frasor but the kid we got from Cincy has nice numbers and heat.

As for position players and DH. Outside of Lind (LF/DH/1B) and Hill there aren't any core guys. Snider probably gets here full time next year and plays LF, but he is still unproven. There are 2 catching prospects that look to be the future behind the plate.

Overbay is fine at 1B, but is overpayed, Wells is an albatross in CF so he isn't going anywhere. Scuturo may have priced himself out of TO with his career year, he is 33, so I wouldn't expect a repeat.

Target areas should be 3B/RF/SS.

I would hope that the next GM would inquire about Jason Bay. He could hopefully be had for Rios money and would be a huge RF upgrade.

11Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:36 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well, looking at what Rios made so far in the contract vs his performance isn't as bad as some make it out to be... but he has a LOT of money coming to him in the next 5 years...

Rios gets $5.9 million in 2009, $9.7 million in 2010, $12 million each
in 2011 and 2012 and $12.5 million apiece in 2013 and 2014.

There is no way JP survives this year... he has to be let go.

12Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:01 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Wells has been put on waivers before. At that ticket, no one will claim him. The Jays could move Wells if they were willing to heat half of his contract.

13Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:50 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Keep in mind the MLB waiver process is very different than the NHL and teams usually put a few players on waivers just to see if there are any nibbles... when there's a nibble.. the team has a few options.

They can:
- arrange a trade with the claiming team for that player within two business days of the claim; or
- rescind the request and keep the player on its major league roster, effectively canceling the waiver; or
- do nothing and allow the claiming team to (1) assume the player's existing contract, (2) pay the waiving team a waiver fee, and (3) place the player on its active major league roster.

The Rios leak just added to the issues going on in Toronto.

14Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:07 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I didn't like the quote from the Chicago GM where he said they were about to negotiate a trade. I hope it was nothing good.

15Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:17 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:I didn't like the quote from the Chicago GM where he said they were about to negotiate a trade. I hope it was nothing good.
Makes you wonder what is going on in Blue Jay land.

House cleaning?

They're clearing the deck for something.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum