GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jays: Rios traded - for nothing!

+2
senskid11
shabbs
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:50 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Keep in mind the MLB waiver process is very different than the NHL and teams usually put a few players on waivers just to see if there are any nibbles... when there's a nibble.. the team has a few options.

They can:
- arrange a trade with the claiming team for that player within two business days of the claim; or
- rescind the request and keep the player on its major league roster, effectively canceling the waiver; or
- do nothing and allow the claiming team to (1) assume the player's existing contract, (2) pay the waiving team a waiver fee, and (3) place the player on its active major league roster.

The Rios leak just added to the issues going on in Toronto.

17Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:07 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I didn't like the quote from the Chicago GM where he said they were about to negotiate a trade. I hope it was nothing good.

18Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:17 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:I didn't like the quote from the Chicago GM where he said they were about to negotiate a trade. I hope it was nothing good.
Makes you wonder what is going on in Blue Jay land.

House cleaning?

They're clearing the deck for something.

19Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:25 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
Makes you wonder what is going on in Blue Jay land.

House cleaning?

They're clearing the deck for something.

Makes me think that the Jays - including Gaston - didn't think Rios would ever live up to 11 million a year and made the decision to let him go.

There's a few key positions we need to fill this winter, so this money will help the Jays a lot.

I just hope JP is gone by then.

20Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:02 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I wonder of Beeston is behind all this... clearing the deck for the next GM... using JP as the fall guy to do the "dirty" work.

21Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:21 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:I wonder of Beeston is behind all this... clearing the deck for the next GM... using JP as the fall guy to do the "dirty" work.

Actually, that's a good point. It's possible.

22Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:24 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:I wonder of Beeston is behind all this... clearing the deck for the next GM... using JP as the fall guy to do the "dirty" work.

We'll see I guess... they're stuck with the Wells contract at any rate. Heh heh. Doh.

23Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:38 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

We'll see I guess... they're stuck with the Wells contract at any rate. Heh heh. Doh.

Dennycrane thinks they can trade him if they eat half his contract. It's all about saving money to get better talent. If they make a move, they free up more money...who knows, maybe we can land a couple of elite players to go with the youngsters.

Mind you, I don't loathe Wells, he's a Gold Glover, decent hitter, but he needs to learn how to hit the long ball. What the hall happened?

24Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:00 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

All the big JP contracts took a nose dive in performance after they signed...

25Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:01 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Execpt for Hill.. Probably the only good contract given out by JP... And of course Doc.

26Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:06 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

caissie_1 wrote:Execpt for Hill.. Probably the only good contract given out by JP... And of course Doc.
Very true.

It's hard to lay all the blame on JP for those huge signings... they were all done following huge seasons by those players - even BJ Ryan... he just gave too much for too long and maybe didn't evaluate them fully.

27Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:08 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Agreed.... At the time I was thrilled now not so much....

28Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:48 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Dennycrane thinks they can trade him if they eat half his contract. It's all about saving money to get better talent. If they make a move, they free up more money...who knows, maybe we can land a couple of elite players to go with the youngsters.

Mind you, I don't loathe Wells, he's a Gold Glover, decent hitter, but he needs to learn how to hit the long ball. What the hall happened?
Even eating half the contract won't make him a viable trade candidate. Way too much back end money.

29Jays:  Rios traded - for nothing! - Page 2 Empty Re: Jays: Rios traded - for nothing! Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:26 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

caissie_1 wrote:Agreed.... At the time I was thrilled now not so much....
It's funny... if you go back to when all the signings happened... at the time there wasn't a lot of backlash... but they've sucked Donkey since so it's warranted... and JP is on the hook.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum