GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Toronto Blue Jays Talk

+28
Hoags
wprager
spader
Riprock
Flo The Action
tim1_2
TheAvatar
stempniaksen
Hobiesens
Ev
MsConduct10
dennycrane
SDH89
SensHulk
jawal
Tuk Tuk
The Silfer Server
Bramlet07
caissie_1
Hayden
ferret
PKC
Hockeyhero22000
SensFan71
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
32 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 37 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 67]

91Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:31 am

shabbs wrote:Well, I guess it was only a matter of time that it all came out. Ricciardi may have been shopping around silently for quite some time but for some reason, when media ask him questions, he gives them the full answer. He never shies away from giving the details for some reason.

My recommendation:

Step 1) Sack Ricciardi NOW
Step 2) Bring in a new SVP/GM
Step 3) Sign Halladay long term
Step 4) Spend, spend, spend!

As long as it doesn't increase my Rogers bill...

92Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:38 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

MurderOnIce wrote:
shabbs wrote:Well, I guess it was only a matter of time that it all came out. Ricciardi may have been shopping around silently for quite some time but for some reason, when media ask him questions, he gives them the full answer. He never shies away from giving the details for some reason.

My recommendation:

Step 1) Sack Ricciardi NOW
Step 2) Bring in a new SVP/GM
Step 3) Sign Halladay long term
Step 4) Spend, spend, spend!

As long as it doesn't increase my Rogers bill...
An increasing Rogers bill is inevitable...

93Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:36 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So, I was listening to The Deacon (Doug Farraway) on the Fan 590 today and naturally the main topic was Ricciardi and Halladay. Lots of angry Jays fans out there, let me tell ya. Anyway, Doug indicated that Roy had quietly approached Jays management and said that if they were going to stray from the original plan and decide to not become contenders (ie: a commence a rebuild) then he would like to test Free Agency so he can go to a contender.

This is very different from what Ricciardi made it sound like yesterday.

It sounds to me that Halladay is on board with the original plan with the expectations that the Jays are going to try and become contenders and not do a whole rebuild. In that scenario, he wants to stay a Jay.

However, if they change their tune and do a rebuild, then he'll move on. Another 8 years of rebuilding is not his cup of tea.

Totally understandable.

Ricciardi basically threw Halladay under the bus yesterday making it sound like he had told the Jays he's going to Free Agency no matter what.

In light of this, my recommendations above must now become mandatory moves if the Jays want to retain any fans...

The Jays absolutely have to:
1) Sack Ricciardi NOW
2) Bring in a new SVP/GM
3) Sign Halladay long term to build around him
4) Spend, spend, spend and become contenders

Ricciardi must go. NOW.

94Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:42 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

MurderOnIce wrote:
shabbs wrote:JP's comments are getting some press now...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2009/07/23/ricciardi_halladay_talks/

Two things stuck out from this article...

1) Halladay wants to move on but did it in a quiet classy manner. Telling Retardy he wants to test free agency well in advance. Something Ricciardi should have kept to himself

2) Ricciardi wants out too. He said '... even if the team offers him an extension, he’s unsure whether he would take it because a rebuild phase would be too similar to what he encountered when he first was hired as Jays GM in 2001.' UMMM are you just saying you took over a team that required a rebuild 8 years ago and you never accomplished that?

Wow, get rid of this guy NOW. You don't want him to be the guy making this decision. Holy crap!

They offered Retardy an extension? No Diddle way. No way.

95Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:48 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I've already detailed in this thread the position the Jays are in with regards to next season. The plan was to be in contention for the 2010 season, which believe it or not, they are one or two big batters away from being.

They just have a Dung for a GM unfortunately. Above average scout for drafting talent, but an absolute imbecile for managing the team's payroll and forking out money.

Some of his bad signings:

Vernon Wells
BJ Ryan
AJ Burnett
Frank Thomas

Just those four guys alone were making in the neighorhood of $20 million a piece. For what? Sure Wells shouldn't have backfired, and BJ Ryan was a premier closer in the league, but he had an injury history, as did Burnett, Thomas was older than the dirt that he sleeps in.

He just doesn't know how to spend the big money properly on impact players.

96Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:51 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

PKC wrote:I've already detailed in this thread the position the Jays are in with regards to next season. The plan was to be in contention for the 2010 season, which believe it or not, they are one or two big batters away from being.

They just have a Dung for a GM unfortunately. Above average scout for drafting talent, but an absolute imbecile for managing the team's payroll and forking out money.

Vernon Wells
BJ Ryan
AJ Burnett
Frank Thomas

Just those four guys alone were making in the neighorhood of $20 million a piece. For what? Sure Wells shouldn't have backfired, and BJ Ryan was a premier closer in the league, but he had an injury history, as did Burnett, Thomas was older than the dirt that he sleeps in.

Clearly Halladay has come to the realization that JP is an idiot. I think it's his subtle way of saying get a real GM in here and start spending to contend, or see ya later.

97Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:52 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispenser wrote:They offered Retardy an extension? No Diddle way. No way.
No, he was saying IF they did...

If they do offer him an extension, I think there will be a massive mutiny by the fans.

98Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:54 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

I'm going to the game tonight. I'm pretty excited. Garza vs. Halladay. Big game, I think.

99Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:54 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
PKC wrote:I've already detailed in this thread the position the Jays are in with regards to next season. The plan was to be in contention for the 2010 season, which believe it or not, they are one or two big batters away from being.

Vernon Wells
BJ Ryan
AJ Burnett
Frank Thomas

Clearly Halladay has come to the realization that JP is an idiot. I think it's his subtle way of saying get a real GM in here and start spending to contend, or see ya later.

The worst part is: how do the Jays not see it the same way?
I'm sorry, but if Halladay leaves, it'll be another 16 years before they even start flirting with making the playoffs.

100Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:55 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Bass Destruction wrote:I'm going to the game tonight. I'm pretty excited. Garza vs. Halladay. Big game, I think.

Can you bring a 'FIRE RICCIARDI' sign to the game?

101Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:56 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:

If they do offer him an extension, I think there will be a massive mutiny by the fans.

Oh for diddle sake. I got scared there. Ahhhhh!

102Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:05 pm

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

PKC wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:I'm going to the game tonight. I'm pretty excited. Garza vs. Halladay. Big game, I think.

Can you bring a 'FIRE RICCIARDI' sign to the game?

I would, but i'm not even sure I could spell Richard D correctly... People will wonder why i hate this richard guy so much.

103Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:46 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

Enjoy the game... Lucky you migth get to see the Doc's last game in person.

104Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:08 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Looks like the Phils are passing on Halladay... asking price is too high...

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/baseball/2009/07/26/10264521-sun.html

105Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:30 am

I think the problem is much like the Ottawa Heatley situtaion the bar was set by the Pronger trade. In Ricardi's (spelling??) eyes the Holliday trade was pretty good in terms of return and pretty much what he expects for Halladay. If it were me, I'd want more too. One more year on a reasonable deal for possibly the best pitcher in the AL.

106Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:56 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

caissie_1 wrote:Enjoy the game... Lucky you migth get to see the Doc's last game in person.

Thanks... Unfortunately though, Scott Downs blew it, after a very solid outing by Doc.

What's cool is if the Jays get 7 or more strikeouts in a game, you get a free slice of pizza at pizza pizza... Much like the old Sens games... i say old, because scoring 6 goals is a thing of the past.

107Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:16 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Dawg's Wife wrote:I think the problem is much like the Ottawa Heatley situtaion the bar was set by the Pronger trade. In Ricardi's (spelling??) eyes the Holliday trade was pretty good in terms of return and pretty much what he expects for Halladay. If it were me, I'd want more too. One more year on a reasonable deal for possibly the best pitcher in the AL.
Well, with Halladay, the high price is certainly justified. He is the best pitcher in the MLB. If they do move him, they need to be setup nicely.

108Toronto Blue Jays Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: Toronto Blue Jays Talk Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:15 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Phillies have dealt for Cliff Lee...

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=286103

Halladay ain't going nowhere... for now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 37 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum