GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Free Agency possiblities? (read this on Sens Chirp)

+10
LeCaptain
asq2
Riprock
Acrobat
dennycrane
davetherave
PTFlea
Phoenix30
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 7]

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
marakh wrote:
EDIT: 2nd possible scenario:
Cowen, Kullikov (esp if they win the Memorial Cup) and OEL are drafted before us, so one of the Big 3 forwards is available. So
- Draft Kane/Schenn/MPS
- Take the best D out there at 39th (something like Rundblad or Erixon)
- Draft Rajala/Tatar at 45th.

I don't see a team taking Kulikov or OEL ahead of Kane, Schenn or MSP personally.

Unless Phoenix does. But then again, if they take a defenceman, it's probably Cowen.

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
asq2 wrote:
marakh wrote:I think Tatar will go before the 39th. In all likeliness, we draft a D, Kullikov, Cowen or OEL with that 9th, so I'd rather take the best powerd forward out there with the 39th, and with the 45th (?) take Rajala. Would be a long term project, but he could grow til 6.0" 190 lbs-ish in 2 years.

That way, we draft:
- Potential N1 defneseman
- Potential Kesler-type
- Potential Alfie

Cowen, Kullikov (esp if they win the Memorial Cup) and OEL are drafted before us, so one of the Big 3 forwards is available. So
- Draft Kane/Schenn/MPS

I suspect that if we get a forward, it'll be Nazem Kadri. I wouldn't hold out hope for one of those guys.

Also, in regards to a power-forward, Kesler-type, we've got a pretty decent one in the system in Jim O'Brien. He's probably our third-line centre of the future at this point. He and Bass have third and fourth line slots down, and then you've got guys like Winchester, Smith and Foligno at wing that fit the big forward type.

I'd rather look for skill at this point. Or, assuming we don't get Cowen, I'd look for a defensive defenceman in the second round, or a Brayden McNabb-type.

That way you have:
Karlsson - OEL/Kulikov - offensive pairing, secondary shut-down pairing
Wiercioch - defensive defenceman - shut-down pairing with some offensive upside.

We'll need at least one goalie out of this draft, too, possibly even 2 if we plan on keeping Elliott in the NHL this year and moving Auld. Bingo only has Glass at the moment.

Which begs the questions... what's the skinny on goalie prospects this year? Who might we be looking at, and what round selection(s) are we talking about?

The better-known ones in the draft are Pasquale, Lehner, Lee, Roy, and Janus. I'd like Lee, but I don't think we'll have a problem finding a goalie in the later rounds. Drafting netminders seems to be a crap-shoot anyway.

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Much like last years draft, likely won't see a goalie drafted till late 20s.

You'd hate to pass up on the next Mason.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
asq2 wrote:
marakh wrote:I think Tatar will go before the 39th. In all likeliness, we draft a D, Kullikov, Cowen or OEL with that 9th, so I'd rather take the best powerd forward out there with the 39th, and with the 45th (?) take Rajala. Would be a long term project, but he could grow til 6.0" 190 lbs-ish in 2 years.

That way, we draft:
- Potential N1 defneseman
- Potential Kesler-type
- Potential Alfie

- Draft Kane/Schenn/MPS

I suspect that if we get a forward, it'll be Nazem Kadri. I wouldn't hold out hope for one of those guys.

Also, in regards to a power-forward, Kesler-type, we've got a pretty decent one in the system in Jim O'Brien. He's probably our third-line centre of the future at this point. He and Bass have third and fourth line slots down, and then you've got guys like Winchester, Smith and Foligno at wing that fit the big forward type.

I'd rather look for skill at this point. Or, assuming we don't get Cowen, I'd look for a defensive defenceman in the second round, or a Brayden McNabb-type.

That way you have:
Karlsson - OEL/Kulikov - offensive pairing, secondary shut-down pairing
Wiercioch - defensive defenceman - shut-down pairing with some offensive upside.

We'll need at least one goalie out of this draft, too, possibly even 2 if we plan on keeping Elliott in the NHL this year and moving Auld. Bingo only has Glass at the moment.

Which begs the questions... what's the skinny on goalie prospects this year? Who might we be looking at, and what round selection(s) are we talking about?

The better-known ones in the draft are Pasquale, Lehner, Lee, Roy, and Janus. I'd like Lee, but I don't think we'll have a problem finding a goalie in the later rounds. Drafting netminders seems to be a crap-shoot anyway.

I've seen Oliver Roy play this season, he's pretty good.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

I'm not sure Janus is right for the B-Sens. You want someone who looks like they have potential to make it, and he is, for the most part, a "one-hit wonder", at least so far.

The others, definitely crap-shoots. But we did alright with Emery (skill-wise, anyhow) and Elliott, so someone in scouting must know what they are doing.

I would suspect that even if there are one or more goalies drafted by Murray, there will end up being a minor league deal before or after the draft, perhaps to move someone like Henessey.

If the Sens are drafting a goalie, go safe, draft a kid who has size and good fundimentals who is a pretty solid athlete.

Roy is extremely tiny and I have serious doubts whether or not he can actually play at the next level. Pasquale is one kid I would look at, along with Lehner from Sweden (my goalie in this draft) and Koskinen from Finland (6'7). You're always rolling the dice with a goaltender, but make a educated guess and go with a guy that can help down in Bingo for now who might turn out until the Sens are more sure about a prospect they love.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:If the Sens are drafting a goalie, go safe, draft a kid who has size and good fundimentals who is a pretty solid athlete.

Roy is extremely tiny and I have serious doubts whether or not he can actually play at the next level. Pasquale is one kid I would look at, along with Lehner from Sweden and Koskinen from Finland (6'7). You're always rolling the dice with a goaltender, but make a educated guess and go with a guy that can help down in Bingo for now who might turn out until the Sens are more sure about a prospect they love.

OK, so, for the sake of argument, let's say we target one of Pasquale, Lehner, or Koskinen. Is there any consensus on what point, approximately, these guys might go in the draft? Are we talking about having to use 1 of those 2 2nd rounders, for instance, or a later pick, like a 5th-7th rounder?

Last year Saterri was supposed to go in the 2nd or 3rd round, ended up going in the 6th. No clue, can't tell you what one scout see's and another doesnt in a goaltender. If a guy Murray really likes is there in the 2nd round, maybe take hime? If there is someone there in the 4th round they like, then ya, go for it.

Goalies are the biggest wild card ever, but I would try and take a goalie who has physical assets that can make him serviceable incase he doesnt have other tanglibles... go safe, Ottawa's goaltending is solved for the next few years with Leclaire and Elliott.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:If the Sens are drafting a goalie, go safe, draft a kid who has size and good fundimentals who is a pretty solid athlete.

Roy is extremely tiny and I have serious doubts whether or not he can actually play at the next level. Pasquale is one kid I would look at, along with Lehner from Sweden (my goalie in this draft) and Koskinen from Finland (6'7). You're always rolling the dice with a goaltender, but make a educated guess and go with a guy that can help down in Bingo for now who might turn out until the Sens are more sure about a prospect they love.

I know he's tiny, but he was excellent in the playoffs (esp in OT), and that's the kind of things I like to see.

Jr against boys, and NHL against men are 2 TOTALLY different things. Unless Roy is there in the 5th round, I wouldnt touch him.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Acrobat wrote:I'm not sure Janus is right for the B-Sens. You want someone who looks like they have potential to make it, and he is, for the most part, a "one-hit wonder", at least so far.

The others, definitely crap-shoots. But we did alright with Emery (skill-wise, anyhow) and Elliott, so someone in scouting must know what they are doing.

I would suspect that even if there are one or more goalies drafted by Murray, there will end up being a minor league deal before or after the draft, perhaps to move someone like Henessey.

He'll do exactly that, I'm almost sure. A minor league deal with a team that has more than one good G prospect.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum