GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Free Agency possiblities? (read this on Sens Chirp)

+10
LeCaptain
asq2
Riprock
Acrobat
dennycrane
davetherave
PTFlea
Phoenix30
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

In all honesty, I dont think the Sens have a shot at the big prize for at least, 3, 4, maybe 5 years. Boston, Pitts, Wash will all be on top of the East for the next few years, so right now is the perfect time to build that blueline.

Forwards develope a lot quicker and we can take them next year and going froward in the 1st rounds.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
marakh wrote:Bottom line is probably, for Draft day, to trade one of the D + a 2nd to get 2 or 3 spots. I don't see any reason why we wouldn't have enough pieces to get Phoenix's draft pick.

I think you're lucky if an offer like that gets you a mid- to late-round draft pick, but not a top 7 pick in this draft. Too deep.

I agree, tho', that we do have a few pieces that we should be able to parlay into more and/or better picks at this year's draft.

Do you think 9th overall + nd rounder + Brian lee is not enough to get 6th overall???

Well, to be fair, in your first formulation, there was no mention of our 1st pick going anywhere, just Lee and a 2nd...

When you throw the 1st in there on top of it all, you might be overpaying. I'd think that our 1st + Lee OR a 2nd ought to be enough to move up 3 spots in the draft. All three of those things together seems like a bit much. Still, that does secure you one of Kane, Schenn, MPS, or Cowen. Still, lots of good options at 8-10, too.

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

My bad.

Yeah, it may be an overpayment, but the top 7 are really amazing players so I am afraid other teams, like Toronto, will make stupid offers to go up that we would have to match.

Phoenix30 wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Wouldnt be surprised to see Murray trade down to get the player he wants... a lot of guys are rising on the draft boards like Kassian and Kulikov.

Interesting to say the least.

I'd be happy on taking Kassian, Despres, or Ashton while gaining some extra picks in the 2nd round. I'd hope that he could pick up a mid round 1st as well.

I'd only consider moving down if we were relatively certain that we'd get the guy we want anyway, ala the Islanders last season. We haven't picked this high in awhile (save for 05, which could have been better), and I hope Murray takes advantage.

If Murray can trade down and grab say a late first, I'd love to use that on Rundblad or a kid named Ryan O'Reilly who I've been high on for awhile now.

Alternatively, I'd like to see Murray swing a deal for additional picks. Something like Brian Lee to Minny (where he played High School hockey) for Clutterbuck (who just reeks of awesomeness) and a 2nd.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:
Do you think 9th overall + nd rounder + Brian lee is not enough to get 6th overall???

That's one of the few actually possible things I can see for the Sens to move up. Nice young D-man with a lot of untapped potential and a pick 3 spots lower for a team that's already built it's youth up quite well. Plus, the Yotes could really use OEL or Kulikov, they need to think about manning their PP full time. Adding Lee and one of those two gets them in the right direction.

I can see Phoenix thinking about this to be honest.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If things shake out the way they look like they're going to, Murray will take OEL or Kulikov - potentially which ever one's still there assuming the top 7 are the guys we know and the 8th pick is one of OEL or Kulikov.

Don't stray from this mindset and the Sens are looking really, really nice in about...2 1/2 to 3 years. Perhaps sooner, but it's more likely to see the emergence of the blueline at the end of 2 years from now. Kind of like Boston vs Montreal last year the way you could see they were getting better - then being one of the best in the East in 3 years from now.

Assuming of course all of these prospects pan out like gold. Ahhhhh!

But yeah, this is an important draft. If we can add Kulikov and O'Reilly (big fan as well) with our first two picks, then a big arsed power forward with Columbus' pick, the future will begin looking brighter and brighter.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The more I think about it, the more I think the guy we should be looking at is Steve Sullivan. IF he leaves the Preds to test the open market, he would absolutely fill in our secondary scoring needs. And he has a ton of heart and a ton of skill.

If we can get him for 2 years, 4 million a year, this is a guy that will bring a lot to the table.

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie

Steve Sullivan would be incredible to get but in your opinion do you
think the Sens have enough if he gets injured? I would think you
gotta play it expecting that he'll get hurt at some point during the
year perhaps for a long time.

If healthy though there couldn't be a better piece out there. He
wouldnt be nearly as expensive as guys with his skill set normally get.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Nasty Nas wrote:Steve Sullivan would be incredible to get but in your opinion do you
think the Sens have enough if he gets injured? I would think you
gotta play it expecting that he'll get hurt at some point during the
year perhaps for a long time.

If healthy though there couldn't be a better piece out there. He
wouldnt be nearly as expensive as guys with his skill set normally get.

Good question. I think if an injury were to occur we might be able to shift some guys up to the top 6, like Regin, Bass, Winchester. Maybe even Zubov or Z.Smith. Donovan even.

It's not as effective, but it would do while Sullivan is out.

Again, I think the best moves Murray makes for a UFA are the ones that wont be made. Lets see where the Sens are after a full year under Clouston and see if they can compete with the leagues best... if they answer is yes, than you can add, if its not, might be time to get the young kids up here ASAP.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:Again, I think the best moves Murray makes for a UFA are the ones that wont be made. Lets see where the Sens are after a full year under Clouston and see if they can compete with the leagues best... if they answer is yes, than you can add, if its not, might be time to get the young kids up here ASAP.

Agree - as a several of us have all said in one way or another, the way to build this team seems to be a bit of addition by subtraction, and a lot of patience.

Start by eliminating some of the spare parts that clearly won't be needed or don't fit in, and take back picks - stagger them over the next two or three years.

If possible, and a great deal comes along, move one of the big contracts.

Then let the kids loose, and see what they've got. There's a balance of youth and experience that's starting to come together, and if the right veterans and coaching staff are around to mentor the youth, we can move forward quite nicely.

Well, this team wont win with Spezza has the go 2 guy, and thats where the trimming needs to start IMO. If not, it's going to be a long 6 years.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

appart from regin i don't feel that any of our youth in bingo is potentially top 6 foward and evn then regin is a question mark. everybody is talking z. smith but the stuff i've read on him spells out good 3rd line. although i like mike fisher cuz of the 110% he brings all the time, i think he's the best 3rd line center in the NHL therefore if we need a second line centre, we might have to lose him and his salary via trade... unfortunetely.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Wonder if two 2nd rnd picks would move you up enough to get a late first and Zach Kassian?

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Dash wrote:Wonder if two 2nd rnd picks would move you up enough to get a late first and Zach Kassian?

I would rather have Murray draft Marcus Folingo with one of those 2nds along with a goalie at the sametime I hopehe can put a package together to get another 1st.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Wonder if two 2nd rnd picks would move you up enough to get a late first and Zach Kassian?

I'd like a guy like Jordan Caron or Ryan O'Reilly.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:

I'd like a guy like Jordan Caron or Ryan O'Reilly.

A little something I found on Caron.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=422333

A little something on Folingo.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=421827

A tidbit on Pasquale

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=419406

Sorry I couldn't find anything of substance on O'Reilly.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

caron does sound like a good pick in the second.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum