GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Free Agency possiblities? (read this on Sens Chirp)

+10
LeCaptain
asq2
Riprock
Acrobat
dennycrane
davetherave
PTFlea
Phoenix30
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Its obviously still a couple months away but the free agency talks has already started in the Nation's Capital. Obviously a few decisions still need to be made when it comes to our own UFA's (Mike Comrie and Chris Neil) but it looks like the Senators may be in a position to add a player or two this coming July.

Cap space is limited right now but it sounds like a few guys could potentially be moved to give the team some wiggle room heading in opening of the free agency market. Players like Christoph Schubert, Chris Kelly and Jason Smith all appear to be tradeable assets this off season. The Senators have nearly 51 million in salaries committed to next season and that's without a contract for RFA goalie Brian Elliott.

The areas that need to be addressed are fairly obvious. This team needs another top 6 forward, preferably a power forward type that can score goals and a top end defenceman. Finding a top flite d-man could be tough given the limited cap space but there appear to be a couple options up front.

The two names that are popping up early this off season are former Leaf Nik Antropov and Flames forward Mike Cammalleri.

Antropov is coming off a season where he had 28 goals and 59 points with the Leafs and Rangers. He made $2.1 million last season and is likely looking for a deal in the 3.0-4.0 million dollar range. He could fit nicely in the Senators top 6 and would give them some much needed secondary scoring.

Cammalleri is obviously a bigger ticket items and is likely out of the Senators price range. The speedy forward put up 82 points with the Flames this season and will be looking for a big raise from the $3.6 mil he made last season. By all accounts Cammalleri could be looking for something in the 5 year range at more than 5 million a season. Apparently Cammalleri only becomes an option if the Senators do decide to move Spezza this off season.

For anyone who is interested, I'll be Live Blogging Game 7 of the Western Conference Semi-final between the Anaheim Ducks and Detroit Red Wings. Stop by if you get a chance!

Posted by SensChirp at 1:25 PM Free Agency possiblities? (read this on Sens Chirp) Icon18_edit_allbkg

I know how we all feel about Cammy in a Sens jersey, no dice, but how about Antropov, slightly less production, but less price tag too?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Can either Cammaleri or Antropov play wing?

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Can either Cammaleri or Antropov play wing?

Antropov can, listed as a RW/C, Cammalleri can too, is a W/C, but then again fisher should be able to as well, he just doesn't,but back to Antro vs Cammalleri, its a 6'6 body versus a 5'9", which we have small forwards already, would go for the big body to plant in front of the net.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

SensFan71 wrote:

Antropov can, listed as a RW/C, Cammalleri can too, is a W/C, but then again fisher should be able to as well, he just doesn't,but back to Antro vs Cammalleri, its a 6'6 body versus a 5'9", which we have small forwards already, would go for the big body to plant in front of the net.

I'd go with Antropov and hope that he starts using his large frame more often.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SensFan71 wrote:

We all know that Fisher won't play wing. Whoever comes in will have to play with Fisher and play well or else they'll be tried on different lines while the quest for suitable linemates for Fisher continues...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm nervous about these name. On the surface they seem like slam dunks, but if we're going to spend some serious money - which is what these guys will want - I'd prefer to make a well thought out trade for a big, big guy who can plant himself in front of the net - while also being creative in the offensive zone.

I know it sounds hard, but the guy that I'd most like to get is Ryan Malone. Always have, potentially always will. I also would love to get my mitts on Mark Streit. Sure, Murray didn't sign him when he (might) have had the chance, but he's been a rock for the Isles - and I can see them thinking about an attractive package of a couple of prospects and possibly a 2nd rounder or 2.

I think our needs might be best filled via trade personally.

Not that I'd be mad if we got Cammy or Antropov, but from what people here have said etc., neither of their compete levels is where we need them to be. Especially Cammy, is that another Spezza? And if so, can the team survive with two of the same? I would say no. It's time to add toughness, skill and size.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:We all know that Fisher won't play wing. Whoever comes in will have to play with Fisher and play well or else they'll be tried on different lines while the quest for suitable linemates for Fisher continues...

The opportunity for Fisher to play wing is wide open now. He got a nice, prolonged taste in the Worlds and was one of Canada's most effective players. I could totally see him playing wing to Regin's center - of possibly a huge bodied UFA (or trade).

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Both Antropov and Cammalleri are players with issues worth considering.

Antropov's knock has long been that his attitude doesn't match his size. We saw that in the playoffs.

Cammalleri? 39 goals in the regular season this year. One in the playoffs.

As they say, 'read the fine print on the label' before purchasing. 'This medication may not be right for you'.
Wink

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:We all know that Fisher won't play wing. Whoever comes in will have to play with Fisher and play well or else they'll be tried on different lines while the quest for suitable linemates for Fisher continues...

The opportunity for Fisher to play wing is wide open now. He got a nice, prolonged taste in the Worlds and was one of Canada's most effective players. I could totally see him playing wing to Regin's center - of possibly a huge bodied UFA (or trade).

Travis Zajac???

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:

Travis Zajac???

Yes please, but I thought you liked having Karlsson in the system (because the Devils would want a major player if they were to move Zajac).

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Travis Zajac???

Yes please, but I thought you liked having Karlsson in the system (because the Devils would want a major player if they were to move Zajac).

ugh, ouch, but hey he is an RFA, send him an offer sheet, what can we offer him?

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

We all know that Fisher won't play wing. Whoever comes in will have to play with Fisher and play well or else they'll be tried on different lines while the quest for suitable linemates for Fisher continues...

At some point a decision has got to be made on Fisher. How many wingers does it take before you decide to go into a different direction all together.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Let's put an offer sheet out on Krejci. Boston has 47 million committed to next year's salary/cap, he can be had.

Same with Kessel. They can only match one offer sheet.

Same with Versteeg. Chicago will match anything I'm sure, but we can put some pressure on them.

We don't need to feel bad, someone's going to do it. These guys are pretty much the only RFAs worth targeting.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:
504Heater wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Travis Zajac???

ugh, ouch, but hey he is an RFA, send him an offer sheet, what can we offer him?

I'm not sure if he's eligible for an offer sheet. The three names I've heard that are eligible are Versteeg, Kessel and Krejci (yes please!)

Someone's gonna send a 7 X 7 his way.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

504Heater wrote:Let's put an offer sheet out on Krejci. Boston has 47 million committed to next year's salary/cap, he can be had.

Same with Kessel. They can only match one offer sheet.

Same with Versteeg. Chicago will match anything I'm sure, but we can put some pressure on them.

We don't need to feel bad, someone's going to do it. These guys are pretty much the only RFAs worth targeting.

I don't even think Boston wants Kessel anymore. He was pretty crappy in the playoffs. Again.

Considering we should have made the playoffs with the roster we had last year, I don't even think it's worth making a big effort to acquire FAs. I'm more in favour of dumping spare parts for picks and prospects at this point.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum