GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Free Agency possiblities? (read this on Sens Chirp)

+10
LeCaptain
asq2
Riprock
Acrobat
dennycrane
davetherave
PTFlea
Phoenix30
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 7]

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Bottom line is probably, for Draft day, to trade one of the D + a 2nd to get 2 or 3 spots. I don't see any reason why we wouldn't have enough pieces to get Phoenix's draft pick.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Dawg's Wife wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
marakh wrote:That post got me down to Earth pretty hardly :^^^^:

Sorry, marakh. We need to get used to the idea, tho', that we're not going to be big movers and shakers on UFA day. At least, not unless we see one of the big 4 contracts moved...

Maybe -- just maybe -- if the cap goes up to $58 mil and you can get him to agree to about $6 mil / yr, you have room for JBo if you move Kelly and replace him with another kid. But that puts you in an awful spot for the following year, when the cap is widely expected to fall. It also leaves Alfie (turning 37), Fisher, Ruutu, and Winchester (?) as your 4 best, most seasoned PKers. Also yikes.

I've come to expect that from your Rooney. A very objective look at things. Let consider this. With 8 defensemen currently under contract (well 8 if you believe Bell an RFA resigns) then in order for them to bring in Karlsson as well as sign a top 2 dman, then you'll have to have 2 of the current squad move out.

Phillips, Volchenkov, Kuba, are all locks...let's assume that they do get that #2 dman everyone wants, then he makes up the 4th, and Karllson makes the team he is the 5th. That means only 1 of Picard, Bell, Lee, Smith, and Campoli will still be around.

I don't really see Bell signing a 2 way deal, and trading Smith will be tough. I don't disagree that a d-man is what we need, but really the market is very thin with top 2 dmen this FA season. I could see a situation where Murray makes do with what we have, and banks the cap savings for next year when they may need it to clear and or use the extra $$$ to sign one of the guys who may be an UFA next year.

Anyway the other thing to factor into the cap number is the NHLPA has the right to increase the cap by a certain percentage. I don't understand the in's and out's of the cap, but Dawg mentioned it the other night at a party we were at. Not being sure if it's a one time thing ( I think it is) or if it's every year, but the NHLPA has the ability to increase the cap after the NHL sets the number by some percentage. Let's say it's 2.5% then if the NHL sets the cap at 56 million then the NHLPA could invoke their clause and increase it to 57.4 million.

Food for thought. Back to unpacking...I hate unpacking.

There are options with Smith, tho'. If he's indeed really badly injured, he'll go on LTIR, which would give us cap relief. If he's forced to retire, his salary won't count against our cap -- he signed his deal with us at 34 years old. If you're really desperate, you can demote him -- tho' I agree you probably just don't do that to a guy like Smith. If you buy him out, too, the cap hit is not crippling -- about $850,000 for too years.

Hell, maybe he plays for us next year and recovers some of his old swagger. $2.6 mil is a lot to play on the 3rd pairing. But if you buy him out and replace him with a guy making $1-1.5 mil, then you haven't really saved yourself any money.

Tough call.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:Bottom line is probably, for Draft day, to trade one of the D + a 2nd to get 2 or 3 spots. I don't see any reason why we wouldn't have enough pieces to get Phoenix's draft pick.

I think you're lucky if an offer like that gets you a mid- to late-round draft pick, but not a top 7 pick in this draft. Too deep.

I agree, tho', that we do have a few pieces that we should be able to parlay into more and/or better picks at this year's draft.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Can't wait for Draft Day. Should be interesting and busy as teams are going to look to move money in preparation for when the cap comes down. The weak teams should become a little stronger while the stronger become a little weaker.

Wouldnt be surprised to see Murray trade down to get the player he wants... a lot of guys are rising on the draft boards like Kassian and Kulikov.

Interesting to say the least.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Neely4Life wrote:Wouldnt be surprised to see Murray trade down to get the player he wants... a lot of guys are rising on the draft boards like Kassian and Kulikov.

I'd be happy on taking Kassian, Despres, or Ashton while gaining some extra picks in the 2nd round. I'd hope that he could pick up a mid round 1st as well.

Last edited by Phoenix30 on Sat May 16, 2009 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

I would honestly like another D man and then draft some skill and grit with our 2, 2nd round picks. High end Dmen will pay off far more down the road then a top end forward. A nice player to compliment Karlsson, or another guy that can be counted on to play big mins in the future.

Id love Kassian too, but he may end up going higher than expected.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:
marakh wrote:Bottom line is probably, for Draft day, to trade one of the D + a 2nd to get 2 or 3 spots. I don't see any reason why we wouldn't have enough pieces to get Phoenix's draft pick.

I think you're lucky if an offer like that gets you a mid- to late-round draft pick, but not a top 7 pick in this draft. Too deep.

I agree, tho', that we do have a few pieces that we should be able to parlay into more and/or better picks at this year's draft.

Do you think 9th overall + nd rounder + Brian lee is not enough to get 6th overall???

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Phoenix30 wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:Wouldnt be surprised to see Murray trade down to get the player he wants... a lot of guys are rising on the draft boards like Kassian and Kulikov.

I'd be happy on taking Kassian, Despres, or Carter while gaining some extra picks in the 2nd round. I'd hope that he could pick up a mid round 1st as well.

Ashton?

I don't want any of those players at our pick. If not Kulikov or OEL, then Schroeder or Josefson.

asq2 wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

I'd be happy on taking Kassian, Despres, or Carter while gaining some extra picks in the 2nd round. I'd hope that he could pick up a mid round 1st as well.

Ashton?

I don't want any of those players at our pick. If not Kulikov or OEL, then Schroeder or Josefson.

I know you're not high on Kassian, I would take him over Schroeder in a second. Im all aboard the Kulikov or OEL train. Im totally convinced we should be taking another D, or a hard nosed forward in Schenn or Kassian. Those would be my 4 picks.

asq2 wrote:
Phoenix30 wrote:

Ashton?

Personally I am very happy to take Kadri @ 9. I wouldn't move up unless we are taking a run at Hedman....

Drafting high end skill guys with no intagibles that high is such a risky thing, wouldnt tough Kadri with the 9th pick. Ottawa needs to get bigger and tougher if they take a forward.

Neely4Life wrote:Drafting high end skill guys with no intagibles that high is such a risky thing, wouldnt tough Kadri with the 9th pick. Ottawa needs to get bigger and tougher if they take a forward.

I think he is special at the offensive end, real special. In fact, IMO, he often outplays Tavares. You can't teach that end of the ice. We always hear about the need for secondary scoring EVERY year... Kadri fits that bill to me... this board is all about opinions though and the draft is the biggest crap shoot of them all.

I agree with that, but again, you build from the net out and right now, the net is solved. Two young goalies who can do the job (pending injuries), now you build the blueline. Amazing start in Karlsson and Wierchioch in one draft, now maybe you get another top end guy, and BOOM, you've built the best crop of young blueliners in the EC.

As for the secondary scoring, you can plug some holes for now and hope for the best, I dont think it's that big of an issue in Ottawa right now to be honest. Some things are gonna have to get sorted out by playing the game next year, and that includes the forward ranks. With 2 second round picks you can take a shot on some high end skill like Tatar (like ASQ was saying before).

If the Sens ever get too deep (can never be too deep) you can swing those assets for secondary scoring as well. Build the crap out of your blueline because at the end of the day, thats whats going to win you championships.

I believe in the similar thing. Problem right now is that we have a glut of young guys that will not take the reigns at the NHL level.. Basically a bunch of 6's and 7's. With three 3's and 4's... While the future needs attention we need to understand what we are doing immediately with the NHL guys we have...

In all honesty, I dont think the Sens have a shot at the big prize for at least, 3, 4, maybe 5 years. Boston, Pitts, Wash will all be on top of the East for the next few years, so right now is the perfect time to build that blueline.

Forwards develope a lot quicker and we can take them next year and going froward in the 1st rounds.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Do you think 9th overall + nd rounder + Brian lee is not enough to get 6th overall???

Well, to be fair, in your first formulation, there was no mention of our 1st pick going anywhere, just Lee and a 2nd...

When you throw the 1st in there on top of it all, you might be overpaying. I'd think that our 1st + Lee OR a 2nd ought to be enough to move up 3 spots in the draft. All three of those things together seems like a bit much. Still, that does secure you one of Kane, Schenn, MPS, or Cowen. Still, lots of good options at 8-10, too.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

My bad.

Yeah, it may be an overpayment, but the top 7 are really amazing players so I am afraid other teams, like Toronto, will make stupid offers to go up that we would have to match.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum