GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thinking of the Post Season

+6
Phoenix30
beedub
wprager
SensGirl11
SensFan71
davetherave
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Sens 09-10: What is to be done?

Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Vote_lcap24%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 4% [ 1 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Vote_lcap226%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 26% [ 7 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Vote_lcap219%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 19% [ 5 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Vote_lcap215%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 15% [ 4 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Vote_lcap211%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 11% [ 3 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Vote_lcap215%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 15% [ 4 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Vote_lcap20%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Vote_lcap27%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 7% [ 2 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Vote_lcap23%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Vote_rcap2 3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 27

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

46Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:50 am

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Having looked at the Stats under Clouston thread - thanks to HF boards and to 504Heater for posting it in here - I think we could be just a couple players away from being a top 4 team in the East assuming the numbers hold true into next season of course.

Based purely on the extrapelated (sp) numbers here is what I'd try to do if I was Murray.

- Do what it takes to sign Jay Bo or someone of that ilk, if that fails then trade Heatley for a Jay Bo type player.

- If you acquire Jay Bo in Free Agency then trade Heatley for 1st rounder and top six winger

You are talking about 6.5 to 7MM, yes?

I assume you are letting Comrie walk as well.

47Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:30 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Having looked at the Stats under Clouston thread - thanks to HF boards and to 504Heater for posting it in here - I think we could be just a couple players away from being a top 4 team in the East assuming the numbers hold true into next season of course.

Based purely on the extrapelated (sp) numbers here is what I'd try to do if I was Murray.

- Do what it takes to sign Jay Bo or someone of that ilk, if that fails then trade Heatley for a Jay Bo type player.

- If you acquire Jay Bo in Free Agency then trade Heatley for 1st rounder and top six winger

I knew I was forgetting someone. Yes Comrie would walk.

48Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:32 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:

I was trading Heatley regardless. If you can't acquire Jay Bo in the off season then you Trade Heatley for a Jay Bo type. If you acquire Jay Bo in the off season then you still Trade Heatley but this time for a Tops Six Forward and a first rounder. This is all based on a shakey premis that the Clouston effect carries over and the numbers that were extrapelated (sp) hold true over the 09/10 season.

49Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:53 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

OK, so you are trading Heatley which gives you room to sign a Top 4 D-man.

Who takes Heatley and his contractapalooza? And which team would he be willing to go to?

50Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Atlanta might take him back.
Although, I can't see Heater waiving to go back personally.

Maybe TB if LeCavalier is indeed moved (which I HIGHLY doubt)

51Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:13 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:OK, so you are trading Heatley which gives you room to sign a Top 4 D-man.

Who takes Heatley and his contractapalooza? And which team would he be willing to go to?

That is why I said this is what I'd try to do. I don't know if it would happen but that would be my plan. As for a team? I don't know the Cap situations of the teams that might be interested so I can't give you an educated answer on that one.

- Unknown Author

52Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:33 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:OK, so you are trading Heatley which gives you room to sign a Top 4 D-man.

do we really want to trade a guy that scores that many goals? I know he has been guily of floating around a bit, but that was more under Hartsburg, not Clouston, rather see him under a full year of Cory and see him get back to possibly 50 goal form.

53Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:45 pm

LA. They need wingers who can put the puck in the net.

54Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:45 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

That is why I said this is what I'd try to do. I don't know if it would happen but that would be my plan. As for a team? I don't know the Cap situations of the teams that might be interested so I can't give you an educated answer on that one.

Here's your answers.

Current cap space/projections:

http://nhlnumbers.com/

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pFHFDcknPFlKYq57Adk5iWQ

You also have to take into account what your potential trade partners' real needs are, the makeup of their team, and why they want to do business with you.

IMHO Ottawa can't move Heatley for the following reasons. He's way too expensive considering his relative assets/limitations; his NTC limits the trade partner options; and few--if any--GMs will take on his contract.

55Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:48 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

RobbyJ wrote:

Good luck. LA has 43MM committed for next season.
http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=LAK&season=0809

56Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:59 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

davetherave wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:

[url=http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=LAK&season=0809
http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=LAK&season=0809[/quote[/url]]

So, it looks DTR, that Ottawa has shot itself in the foot by signing the "core" to these megabucks deals.

They may draft well, but as soon as those rookies are ready for their own money deal, we'll lose them, cause we will be so tight up against the cap that if Spezza farts, Shannon will taste his lunch

57Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:01 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Some of that $43M would be coming back. We won't move a $7M/year contract in this day and age without having to take some salary back. Unless of course the contract is front-end-loaded and the actual salary is significantly lower, in which case a cash-poor team could take it on to get above the cap floor.

58Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:06 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

In a fantasy world, love to see Dustin Brown coming back

59Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:11 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Some of that $43M would be coming back. We won't move a $7M/year contract in this day and age without having to take some salary back. Unless of course the contract is front-end-loaded and the actual salary is significantly lower, in which case a cash-poor team could take it on to get above the cap floor.

Prags, your logic is all well and good, but who would these supposed teams be?

Phoenix?

And why would a cash-strapped team take on a huge committment for a single player when they can't afford it? There are much simpler ways to get to the cap floor.

I really suggest you have a look at this cap analysis spreadsheet:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pFHFDcknPFlKYq57Adk5iWQ

Toronto and Montreal have tons of cap room, and Burke has plenty of cash to pay for such a contract...so are you thinking of sending Heatley to the Leafs? I doubt it.

IMHO Ottawa really has very few options to move its megacontracts, and if you look at the numbers around the league and the apparent trend towards reducing salary mass, it doesn't look like that's going to change.

So the Senators will probably have to work with what they have, and hope they draft well.

60Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:14 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:

do we really want to trade a guy that scores that many goals? I know he has been guily of floating around a bit, but that was more under Hartsburg, not Clouston, rather see him under a full year of Cory and see him get back to possibly 50 goal form.

Not true. If you look at the numbers under Clouston and stretch it over an 82 game season then Heatley is headed for a 36 goal and 67 point season.

- Unknown Author

61Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:51 pm

davetherave wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:

[url=http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=LAK&season=0809
http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=LAK&season=0809[/quote[/url]]
Those numbers are a little out of date. Preissing is now in the minors, so take 2.75 off. We would be taking some salary back as well.

35M over 5 years is pretty nice price for a prolific goal scorer, especially if you are tied with the NYI for the 4th lowest goals per game.

Also, the numbers listed on both nhlnumbers.com and nhlscap.com include bonuses, which had to count against the cap this year whether attained or not. Next year the bonuses can be carried forward if attained, but do not need to be accounted for in current year, now that the CBA has been extended.

62Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:38 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The world on the street (ha ha) is that the cap will never lower to 50 million - and that it's the doom and gloom BS that's making people jump to conclusions.

The NHL would in all probability step in before it lowered itself that much. The whispering seems to be that 52-54 would be the lowest the NHL would let it go.

63Thinking of the Post Season - Page 4 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:59 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

beedub wrote:In a fantasy world, love to see Dustin Brown coming back

Brown's untouchable, unfortunately. He's their captain and has one helluva contract.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum