GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thinking of the Post Season

+6
Phoenix30
beedub
wprager
SensGirl11
SensFan71
davetherave
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Sens 09-10: What is to be done?

Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Vote_lcap24%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 4% [ 1 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Vote_lcap226%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 26% [ 7 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Vote_lcap219%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 19% [ 5 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Vote_lcap215%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 15% [ 4 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Vote_lcap211%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 11% [ 3 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Vote_lcap215%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 15% [ 4 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Vote_lcap20%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Vote_lcap27%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 7% [ 2 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Vote_lcap23%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 27

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

31Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:30 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

It would be pointeless, since we would all disagree on a few of the numbers.

32Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:50 pm

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:It would be pointless, since we would all disagree on a few of the numbers.

Prags, isn't that very thing the best reason to do it? LOL ...IMHO this would be a fascinating thread...heh heh
8)

33Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:14 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

I don't know if I'd have the time. I *know* I'd find it nearly impossible to leave it alone.

34Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:01 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:I don't know if I'd have the time. I *know* I'd find it nearly impossible to leave it alone.

heh heh...Prags, you know I just can't resist the idea...working on something right now...
:afro:

35Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:20 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

What I would be curious to see is if it is feasible to move either Spezza or Heatley to a team in exchange for a PMD in or around the 3.5-4.5 , thus freeing up 2.5 to 3 million.

Then you move in Zubov and Regin to play with Shannon and perhaps let Comrie walk.....

36Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:39 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

beedub wrote:What I would be curious to see is if it is feasible to move either Spezza or Heatley to a team in exchange for a PMD in or around the 3.5-4.5 , thus freeing up 2.5 to 3 million.

Then you move in Zubov and Regin to play with Shannon and perhaps let Comrie walk.....

Who's the PMD you have in mind?

37Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:54 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:Sort of a perfect scenario idea though. Sad

I do think we need to take care of most of our re-signings (Shannon, Elliott, maybe Comrie) and then try to add a defenceman.

I see some potential with Heatley and Comrie playing together, but we need Comrie playing on the top 2 lines - or we don't need him at all. His linemates tonight were Kelly and Neil - no use for Comrie in that equation.

We'll have to see how Clouston plans on using Comrie.

38Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:22 pm

504Heater wrote:
asq2 wrote:Sort of a perfect scenario idea though. Sad

I do think we need to take care of most of our re-signings (Shannon, Elliott, maybe Comrie) and then try to add a defenceman.

I see some potential with Heatley and Comrie playing together, but we need Comrie playing on the top 2 lines - or we don't need him at all. His linemates tonight were Kelly and Neil - no use for Comrie in that equation.

We'll have to see how Clouston plans on using Comrie.
We don't need Comrie. As much as I like him, and his girlfriend Sarcasm , he has no use on our team. Especially not on the 3rd line.

39Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:46 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:We don't need Comrie. As much as I like him, and his girlfriend Sarcasm , he has no use on our team. Especially not on the 3rd line.

Perhaps not. The flip side of the argument is that he's already scored some timely goals for the Sens and would continue under the new Clouston regime. Not to mention that he's playing with two guys that couldn't score if their lives depended on it.

40Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:52 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
The Guy With The Mustache wrote:We don't need Comrie. As much as I like him, and his girlfriend Sarcasm , he has no use on our team. Especially not on the 3rd line.

Perhaps not. The flip side of the argument is that he's already scored some timely goals for the Sens and would continue under the new Clouston regime. Not to mention that he's playing with two guys that couldn't score if their lives depended on it.

He hasn't shown me much so far. Maybe it's just part of the recovery process, but he makes Spezza look like Pavel Bure out there. A small guy with limited strength and limited speed? :KJK: He'd better have Gretzky-like offensive skills.

41Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:03 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:He hasn't shown me much so far. Maybe it's just part of the recovery process, but he makes Spezza look like Pavel Bure out there. A small guy with limited strength and limited speed? :KJK: He'd better have Gretzky-like offensive skills.

He slinks away from the play from time to time, instead of trying to read it properly and intercept like Shannon. What can you say right now? He's had hip surgery and he's had a tremendous flu - but he brings some moxy to that third line, that's for sure. Facepalm

I have no idea what we're gonna do with him. Peter Schaefer Surre Good luck Murray.

42Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:12 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
asq2 wrote:He hasn't shown me much so far. Maybe it's just part of the recovery process, but he makes Spezza look like Pavel Bure out there. A small guy with limited strength and limited speed? :KJK: He'd better have Gretzky-like offensive skills.

He slinks away from the play from time to time, instead of trying to read it properly and intercept like Shannon. What can you say right now? He's had hip surgery and he's had a tremendous flu - but he brings some moxy to that third line, that's for sure. Facepalm

I have no idea what we're gonna do with him. Peter Schaefer Surre Good luck Murray.

I think the main difference between Shannon and Comrie is that Shannon presently is literally twice as fast.

43Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:39 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:
I think the main difference between Shannon and Comrie is that Shannon presently is literally twice as fast.

...as anyone on the entire team to boot. Usually I'm all for signing guys like this - but for some reason this time, there's some trepidation. Regin, Zubov...what will be the difference? Just experience.

44Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:02 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:
504Heater wrote:My take is simple:

Get me a D-man to play with Kuba. Make him good enough to be a 20 minute guy - and have some offencive upside. Ohlund might be slipping out of reach, but hopefully someone who can solidify the D.

Take a long hard look at Comrie and really think about whether or not he's the guy. I'm a big Comrie fan, always have been, but he tends to disappear when he gets bodied. Make sure on this one - there are other guys out there...but yes, we need another top 6 guy.

That's it. Am I saying we're going to the Finals next year? No. Am I saying we're a couple of smart signings/trades away from setting this team up for the 10/11, 11/12 years? I am indeed. :)

Agreed. We've got 4 solid d-men for next year: Kuba, Phillips, Volchenkov, Campoli (OK, maybe 3 solid d-men). Now we need one for the first pairing and one for the third. Preferably both of the puck-moving variety.

Goaltending's covered (man is it nice to say that). You could potentially even move Auld while his value is high.

As far as forwards go, I think we're alright. First line is set (CASH). Second or third line hopefully is set as well (FFS). Fourth line could be Neil, Bass, Ruutu. That leaves one line to fill: Regin should get a spot, Kelly's obviously got a spot, and if you re-sign Comrie, you've filled out your forward roster.

Leaves us with a team like:

Heatley - Spezza - Alfredsson
Foligno - Fisher - Shannon
Comrie - Regin - Kelly
Neil - Bass - Ruutu

Kuba - Ohlund
Phillips - Volchenkov
Campoli - Picard/Lee/Bell whomever

Leclaire
Elliott

In the system: Erik Karlsson, Patrick Wiercioch, Ilya Zubov, Jim O'Brien, Zack Smith, Louie Caporusso, TBA (Cowen/Schenn), TBA (Tomas Tatar), TBA (Marcus Foligno)

It's not a contender, but it's probably a low-seed play-off team.

Actually, ideally you could move Auld and the 2 2nds to try to get into the first round again.

As much as I like to get another 1st rounder, I don't think it would be wise to move both of the 2nds to move up. Especially when we don't have a 3rd and there is an opportunity to get valuable depth in the 2nd round. If anything getting another 1st should come at the cost of a current roster player. In the process of hopefully freeing up some cash and a spot for a younger player to get a chance to move up.

45Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:28 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Having looked at the Stats under Clouston thread - thanks to HF boards and to 504Heater for posting it in here - I think we could be just a couple players away from being a top 4 team in the East assuming the numbers hold true into next season of course.

Based purely on the extrapelated (sp) numbers here is what I'd try to do if I was Murray.

- Do what it takes to sign Jay Bo or someone of that ilk, if that fails then trade Heatley for a Jay Bo type player.

- If you acquire Jay Bo in Free Agency then trade Heatley for 1st rounder and top six winger

- Unknown Author

46Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:50 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Having looked at the Stats under Clouston thread - thanks to HF boards and to 504Heater for posting it in here - I think we could be just a couple players away from being a top 4 team in the East assuming the numbers hold true into next season of course.

Based purely on the extrapelated (sp) numbers here is what I'd try to do if I was Murray.

- Do what it takes to sign Jay Bo or someone of that ilk, if that fails then trade Heatley for a Jay Bo type player.

- If you acquire Jay Bo in Free Agency then trade Heatley for 1st rounder and top six winger

You are talking about 6.5 to 7MM, yes?

I assume you are letting Comrie walk as well.

47Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:30 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Having looked at the Stats under Clouston thread - thanks to HF boards and to 504Heater for posting it in here - I think we could be just a couple players away from being a top 4 team in the East assuming the numbers hold true into next season of course.

I knew I was forgetting someone. Yes Comrie would walk.

- Unknown Author

48Thinking of the Post Season - Page 3 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:32 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:

I was trading Heatley regardless. If you can't acquire Jay Bo in the off season then you Trade Heatley for a Jay Bo type. If you acquire Jay Bo in the off season then you still Trade Heatley but this time for a Tops Six Forward and a first rounder. This is all based on a shakey premis that the Clouston effect carries over and the numbers that were extrapelated (sp) hold true over the 09/10 season.

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum