GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thinking of the Post Season

+6
Phoenix30
beedub
wprager
SensGirl11
SensFan71
davetherave
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Sens 09-10: What is to be done?

Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Vote_lcap24%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 4% [ 1 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Vote_lcap226%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 26% [ 7 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Vote_lcap219%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 19% [ 5 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Vote_lcap215%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 15% [ 4 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Vote_lcap211%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 11% [ 3 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Vote_lcap215%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 15% [ 4 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Vote_lcap27%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 7% [ 2 ]
Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Vote_lcap23%Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 27

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

16Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:47 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:
IMHO the Senators may have begun to believe that a playoff spot was a given rather than something to be fought for from Game One through Game Eighty Two.

So true.

17Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:55 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Hey, Dave, I've got a site for you:

SenSay

Wink

18Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:05 am

davetherave

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Hey, Dave, I've got a site for you:

SenSay

Wink

Very cool site...thanks!

19Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:59 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

My take is simple:

Get me a D-man to play with Kuba. Make him good enough to be a 20 minute guy - and have some offencive upside. Ohlund might be slipping out of reach, but hopefully someone who can solidify the D.

Take a long hard look at Comrie and really think about whether or not he's the guy. I'm a big Comrie fan, always have been, but he tends to disappear when he gets bodied. Make sure on this one - there are other guys out there...but yes, we need another top 6 guy.

That's it. Am I saying we're going to the Finals next year? No. Am I saying we're a couple of smart signings/trades away from setting this team up for the 10/11, 11/12 years? I am indeed. Smile

20Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:19 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:My take is simple:

Get me a D-man to play with Kuba. Make him good enough to be a 20 minute guy - and have some offencive upside. Ohlund might be slipping out of reach, but hopefully someone who can solidify the D.

Take a long hard look at Comrie and really think about whether or not he's the guy. I'm a big Comrie fan, always have been, but he tends to disappear when he gets bodied. Make sure on this one - there are other guys out there...but yes, we need another top 6 guy.

That's it. Am I saying we're going to the Finals next year? No. Am I saying we're a couple of smart signings/trades away from setting this team up for the 10/11, 11/12 years? I am indeed. Smile

Agreed. We've got 4 solid d-men for next year: Kuba, Phillips, Volchenkov, Campoli (OK, maybe 3 solid d-men). Now we need one for the first pairing and one for the third. Preferably both of the puck-moving variety.

Goaltending's covered (man is it nice to say that). You could potentially even move Auld while his value is high.

As far as forwards go, I think we're alright. First line is set (CASH). Second or third line hopefully is set as well (FFS). Fourth line could be Neil, Bass, Ruutu. That leaves one line to fill: Regin should get a spot, Kelly's obviously got a spot, and if you re-sign Comrie, you've filled out your forward roster.

Leaves us with a team like:

Heatley - Spezza - Alfredsson
Foligno - Fisher - Shannon
Comrie - Regin - Kelly
Neil - Bass - Ruutu

Kuba - Ohlund
Phillips - Volchenkov
Campoli - Picard/Lee/Bell whomever

Leclaire
Elliott

In the system: Erik Karlsson, Patrick Wiercioch, Ilya Zubov, Jim O'Brien, Zack Smith, Louie Caporusso, TBA (Cowen/Schenn), TBA (Tomas Tatar), TBA (Marcus Foligno)

It's not a contender, but it's probably a low-seed play-off team.

Actually, ideally you could move Auld and the 2 2nds to try to get into the first round again.

21Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:42 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:
Agreed. We've got 4 solid d-men for next year: Kuba, Phillips, Volchenkov, Campoli (OK, maybe 3 solid d-men). Now we need one for the first pairing and one for the third. Preferably both of the puck-moving variety.

Goaltending's covered (man is it nice to say that). You could potentially even move Auld while his value is high.

As far as forwards go, I think we're alright. First line is set (CASH). Second or third line hopefully is set as well (FFS). Fourth line could be Neil, Bass, Ruutu. That leaves one line to fill: Regin should get a spot, Kelly's obviously got a spot, and if you re-sign Comrie, you've filled out your forward roster.

Comrie - Regin - Kelly
Neil - Bass - Ruutu

Kuba - Ohlund
Phillips - Volchenkov

Leclaire
Elliott

In the system: Erik Karlsson, Patrick Wiercioch, Ilya Zubov, Jim O'Brien, Zack Smith, Louie Caporusso, TBA (Cowen/Schenn), TBA (Tomas Tatar), TBA (Marcus Foligno)

Actually, ideally you could move Auld and the 2 2nds to try to get into the first round again.

That would be great. I would suggest heavily that Colorado do something. Actually, scratch that, they need a real number one somehow. Fernandez perhaps?

I remember someone asking about why Zubov came back from his NHL stint and didn't really get it going - then Z.Smith started to lose his scoring touch and struggle a little. The answer that I got that most was that they missed Shannon in the biggest way - apparently the three of them had incredible, near NHL-quality chemistry, skill and finish.

So I start to wonder right about now...if we can unite them as a 3rd line in the NHL and prosper? Or is it too much for those three to step into a role like that with little to no NHL experience? It's an interesting question though, because together they wreaked havoc on the AHL - and yes, I realize it's the AHL and not the NHL - but a part of me can sense those three going to town as a line in the NHL.

It would be fun to see that given a chance. I wish Bingo had clinched and everything was fine and dandy, I'd really like to see that for 5 games this year.

Then you re-sign Comrie to play with Fisher and Foligno. Replacing Shannon with Comrie is a downgrade IMO - especially for those two guys who seem to feed off Shannon's speed and puck skills, but it would probably all work out pretty well. Re-unite Shannon with them on the PP.

Of course, we would then have a whole bunch of players and only 3 spots left.

22Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:58 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:That would be great. I would suggest heavily that Colorado do something. Actually, scratch that, they need a real number one somehow. Fernandez perhaps?

I remember someone asking about why Zubov came back from his NHL stint and didn't really get it going - then Z.Smith started to lose his scoring touch and struggle a little. The answer that I got that most was that they missed Shannon in the biggest way - apparently the three of them had incredible, near NHL-quality chemistry, skill and finish.

So I start to wonder right about now...if we can unite them as a 3rd line in the NHL and prosper? Or is it too much for those three to step into a role like that with little to no NHL experience? It's an interesting question though, because together they wreaked havoc on the AHL - and yes, I realize it's the AHL and not the NHL - but a part of me can sense those three going to town as a line in the NHL.

It would be fun to see that given a chance. I wish Bingo had clinched and everything was fine and dandy, I'd really like to see that for 5 games this year.

Then you re-sign Comrie to play with Fisher and Foligno. Replacing Shannon with Comrie is a downgrade IMO - especially for those two guys who seem to feed off Shannon's speed and puck skills, but it would probably all work out pretty well. Re-unite Shannon with them on the PP.

Of course, we would then have a whole bunch of players and only 3 spots left.

Eh. I think out of Regin, Z. Smith and Zubov, Regin's the most NHL-ready.

If you have CASH, FFC, and the Zubov - Smith - Shannon line, where does Regin play? Surely not on the fourth line?

23Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:44 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:Eh. I think out of Regin, Z. Smith and Zubov, Regin's the most NHL-ready.

If you have CASH, FFC, and the Zubov - Smith - Shannon line, where does Regin play? Surely not on the fourth line?

Now that you mention it, it might be better to give Smith another year in the AHL and put Regin as Zubov and Shannon's center.

24Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:41 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

IMHO it's important to see the Senators for exactly what they are, not what one hopes they might be.

As one evaluates any team--whether it be in business or in sports--one operates within a set of perceptual givens. These include: being ready to accept that potential is only potential until it is used, that past performance is an indicator of what is possible but by no means what is actual or what can be expected, and that improvement requires committment even more than it requires skill.

Clouston's strengths appear to include his ability to evaluate his talent based on the above criteria, and his ability to extract improved performance by getting players to one, raise the level of their committment, and two, play within a system that optimizes their ability.

Right now, the Senators are a .500 team. This season, under two different coaches, they have shown they can, at times, be competitive. But not often enough to be among the top eight in the their Conference.

And yet, the talk is about how they 'have the talent' to be among the top eight. So, as they say, what's wrong with this picture?

That is the reality of the situation faced by the Senators.

IMHO there are some very tough questions to be asked--and possibly some difficult decisions to be made--between now and the summer trading/UFA/draft periods if Senators management expects this team to progress next year.

Fundamentally, that process includes having a very clear and unvarnished view of what type of T-E-A-M the Senators are going to be, building a 'Team First' philosophy with players who embody that philosophy, and relying much less on individuals to 'step up'.

That's just my two cents... 8)

25Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:16 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

asq2 wrote:

Comrie - Regin - Kelly
Neil - Bass - Ruutu

Kuba - Ohlund
Phillips - Volchenkov

Leclaire
Elliott

I'd be curious to see, but I don't think the team you have listed here fits under the cap. Certainly not the year after next.

While you have 19 odd millionn invested in the 1st line, kiss supporting D goodbye. You will really have to rely on promoting from within to fill your spots as there just isn't any cap space.

Watch the cap drop over the next 3 years and the team really is in a dire situation

26Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:22 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

beedub wrote:I'd be curious to see, but I don't think the team you have listed here fits under the cap. Certainly not the year after next.

While you have 19 odd millionn invested in the 1st line, kiss supporting D goodbye. You will really have to rely on promoting from within to fill your spots as there just isn't any cap space.

Watch the cap drop over the next 3 years and the team really is in a dire situation

You're probably right, although it might depend in part on how much Elliott, Shannon, Comrie and Ohlund cost.

Who do you move to create space?

27Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:10 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

In 3 years we won't have LeClaire's $4M, Smith's $2.8M, Kelly's $2.2M and Fisher's $4.2M will be movable.

And I'm not even mentioning moving one of the top-two (leave Alfie out of this) or Phillips.

There's lots of room, still.

28Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:33 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

I see ASQ already has Comrie and Ohlund signed, and Auld moved.

That was quick. Wink

29Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:58 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:I see ASQ already has Comrie and Ohlund signed, and Auld moved.

That was quick. Wink

Sort of a perfect scenario idea though. Sad

I do think we need to take care of most of our re-signings (Shannon, Elliott, maybe Comrie) and then try to add a defenceman.

30Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:23 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:
davetherave wrote:I see ASQ already has Comrie and Ohlund signed, and Auld moved.

That was quick. Wink

Sort of a perfect scenario idea though. Sad

I do think we need to take care of most of our re-signings (Shannon, Elliott, maybe Comrie) and then try to add a defenceman.

IMHO a serious evaluation has to be done of every single one of these players before deciding who gets re-signed and who doesn't.

It's not about adding this or that piece. It's about finding out first and foremost whether or not this group can perform--consistently--as a team. And finding out which players are worth persevering with, and which ones need to find a new home.

Maybe we should do our own "Sens Report Card" thread...hmmmm....

31Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:30 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It would be pointeless, since we would all disagree on a few of the numbers.

32Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:50 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:It would be pointless, since we would all disagree on a few of the numbers.

Prags, isn't that very thing the best reason to do it? LOL ...IMHO this would be a fascinating thread...heh heh
8)

33Thinking of the Post Season - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking of the Post Season Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:14 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I don't know if I'd have the time. I *know* I'd find it nearly impossible to leave it alone.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum