GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thinking of getting a GPS -- what to look for, what to stay away from?

+5
Hoags
Jordo
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Looking at the stack of Google Maps directions printouts sitting in the basket between the front seats in the family van, I am thinking of getting my wife a GPS for Christmas. I'm not looking to spend a lot. Right now I am looking at a couple of Nuvis -- the 255W is $100 in a couple of places, and the 265W is $116 (Amazon.ca). That is pretty much the budget -- at or around $100.

Frankly, I don't even know the difference between the two. One site had the 255 rated higher, another had the 265 rated higher. Our traveling is limited to North America; the traffic monitoring is nice but not necessary; portability between cars, of course, is essential; ease of use is a must.

So, have at it. Should I save $16 and get the 255W or "splurge" on the 265W (is the upgrade to the 265W worth $16?) Or should I go for something else entirely?

P.S. I am also thinking of a remote car starter -- getting a second car soon and there's no way we're going to park both in the garage (too many things in there). So if you have suggestions for that, I'm listening.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

The only difference between the 2 is the traffic receiver cable.

I'd also look at the 1450/1490 if you can swing it.

The 1000 series has lane assist - the 200's does not. If it's for your wife, then lane assist would be good. It zooms in when you come close to a an exit or multiple lane area so you don't miss it.

The 1400 series has multiple route planning. With the Garmin software, you can plan your route on the computer and save it to the Garmin. The others don't do route planning, they only allow you to save single waypoints via software.

The best source in Canada for these is www.tigerdirect.ca in the refurbished section.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I've got the 255W. Been very please with it. Doesn't have the blue tooth and traffic frills of the higher models in the series, but gets the job done. You can load up a whole crap load of POI's ahead of your trip (Tim Hortons locations, gas stations, speed traps etc...) so that's really cool.

The only thing that bugs me is that the map upgrades are NOT free and can be quite pricey.

I was able to locate a web site that showed you how to load up the newest ones for free.

Heh.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The 1450/1490 is roughly twice what I wanted to pay, though. The thing is our anniversary is Christmas Eve, then there's Christmas and then her birthday in February. So there's lots of opportunities to overspend Smile

The "lane assist" sounds like it would be a good feature for US driving. Over here, in Ottawa, we don't have many mega-intersections or highway exits with different lanes going to different places.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I've heard that lane assist has major issues in Toronto with the collectors vs express lanes. Can't seem to tell where you are so it always puts you in the collectors. Not sure what it's like in the US.

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

I've got the 265W and it works great. I haven't upgraded the maps though, and I hear that's an issue.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Jordo wrote:I've got the 265W and it works great. I haven't upgraded the maps though, and I hear that's an issue.
See here: http://www.haklabs.com/2010/garmin-2011-gps-update/

Smile

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

265w it is then...

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4177813&Sku=G145-0236

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Nice price. Make it so.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

That 265W looks promising, I've been looking for a GPS as well for road trips.

Bluetooth would come in handy for my Crackberry.

I'll have to get me one as well Smile

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

For those with GPS'... POIfriend.com is a great resource for Points Of Interest to put on your unit:

http://www.poifriend.com/

For those with Gamin's, get your POI Loader here:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The 265W has been ordered. Estimated date of delivery is the 22nd. Ohnoes!

I really should get the process started earlier next year.

Thanks to all for advice, links, etc.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think my family has that one too.^

It got us to Boston safe and sound Thinking of getting a GPS -- what to look for, what to stay away from? 85287. You gotta put it on the British lady to get the full effect lol.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Heh. The British one is hilarious. And you can add-on Simpson voices and other celeb voices. Pretty hilarious stuff.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Heh. The British one is hilarious. And you can add-on Simpson voices and other celeb voices. Pretty hilarious stuff.

So you can have Homer Simpson yell 'DOH !" if you miss your turn ? Laugh1

That'd be priceless to have.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum