GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thinking of getting a GPS -- what to look for, what to stay away from?

+5
Hoags
Jordo
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think my family has that one too.^

It got us to Boston safe and sound Thinking of getting a GPS -- what to look for, what to stay away from? - Page 2 85287. You gotta put it on the British lady to get the full effect lol.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Heh. The British one is hilarious. And you can add-on Simpson voices and other celeb voices. Pretty hilarious stuff.

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Heh. The British one is hilarious. And you can add-on Simpson voices and other celeb voices. Pretty hilarious stuff.

So you can have Homer Simpson yell 'DOH !" if you miss your turn ? Laugh1

That'd be priceless to have.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I just looked some up on the Garmin site. You can get SpongeBob, Dora, a squirrel, and a yeti...haha.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Just make sure the voices are TTS (Text To Speech) compatible or else they won't say street names etc...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Just make sure the voices are TTS (Text To Speech) compatible or else they won't say street names etc...

Can I get Herve Villechaize? (Ze turn! Ze turn!)

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I have the Tom Tom and I guess it doesn't have TTS because it never says the street names. I can't complain though since it was a gift.

- Unknown Author

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:Just make sure the voices are TTS (Text To Speech) compatible or else they won't say street names etc...

Can I get Herve Villechaize? (Ze turn! Ze turn!)

I want a Gilbert Gottfried.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I have the Tom Tom and I guess it doesn't have TTS because it never says the street names. I can't complain though since it was a gift.
What model do you have?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

How do you adjust routes on the 265 (I figure it would be the same as the 255). I'm taking my kid to the Carleton Ice House for practice, so I figured I'd have a little fun with the GPS. Entered the address given (1125 Colonel By) and it generated a route that takes me to Baseline and then comes up Colonel By. I prefer the 417 to Bronson route. I tapped the 417 on the map, added it as a "Via Point" and it changed the route to continue along the 417, take Preston exit, to Prince of Wales down to Heron, then up Colonel By again -- instead of taking Bronson. And, of course, it zoomed back in to my departure point, so I had to zoom out and pan a few times again, to try and add more Via Points to correct the route.

So how do I (more easily) alter the route? Also, the 1125 Colonel By point on the map is not really the Ice House. Is there a way to alter the destination a bit?

I feel like this is all wrong. Would be easier to do the route changes in Google Maps (since I've done that many times) and then download it?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Bump

OK, so I found the additional voices: http://www8.garmin.com/vehicles/voices/

But these are the only ones I've found so far -- Sponge Bob, Dora the Explorer, and a few others. No Simpsons. Are there other voices out there that I just haven't found yet?

Also found a program that lets you change your voice file. Haven't downloaded or tried using it yet, but apparently you can change the phrases used in specific instances -- for example, you could get rid of the "Recalculating" and change it to "Doh!" -- now if you can get Homer voice on top of that, peeerfect:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=7824

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The TTS stuff is a bit funny. I was driving around the West Island area of Montreal yesterday and the unit pronounced "Brunswick" with a French accent (well, stressing the "wick" syllable, making it sound like a French accent, at least). Then when I had to get onto HWY 20 going West, the map has it listed as "AUT 20 O" ('O' for 'Ouest) -- the unit pronounced it as "Owe tee twenty owe". I knew where I was going and only had it on for fun. Someone not familiar with French could have a bit of a problem, though.

Stupid map. My language is set to English, why would the map be in French?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Are you still thinking of getting a GPS or did you get one? Can we change the title now?

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Are you still thinking of getting a GPS or did you get one? Can we change the title now?

It's earlier in the thread -- got one. No need to change the thread title, though. Others could be "thinking of getting a GPS", right?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/weird/2011/01/24/17010436.html

Laughing3

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:http://www.ottawasun.com/news/weird/2011/01/24/17010436.html

Laughing3

Can't embed this one, but it's great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yyKrS8jwSY

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote: Bump

OK, so I found the additional voices: http://www8.garmin.com/vehicles/voices/

But these are the only ones I've found so far -- Sponge Bob, Dora the Explorer, and a few others. No Simpsons. Are there other voices out there that I just haven't found yet?

Also found a program that lets you change your voice file. Haven't downloaded or tried using it yet, but apparently you can change the phrases used in specific instances -- for example, you could get rid of the "Recalculating" and change it to "Doh!" -- now if you can get Homer voice on top of that, peeerfect:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=7824

The Tomtom has a few really great voices, most notably John Cleese. I grew up watching Fawlty Towers, A Fish Called Wanda, and of course Monty Python. The man is hilarious, has incredible delivery. His twitter is really funny too.

They have a few other pretty funny voices, also have Homer Simpson, Mr Burns, KITT from Knight Rider, Snoop Dogg, Billy Connolly, Darth Vader, C3PO, Yosemite Sam, Daffy Duck, and Yoda, among others.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

You grew up in 12 episodes? Impressive!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum