GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens

+11
Urkie
PKC
Hockeyhero22000
shabbs
Cronie
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
SensFan71
Cap'n Clutch
caissie_1
davetherave
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

1Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Empty Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:12 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

From ESPN.com:
7:00 PM ET, March 11, 2009
Scotiabank Place, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
TSN

Lightning-Senators Preview

Brian Elliott is trying to show he belongs with the Ottawa Senators instead of in the minors. He's also doing his best to keep his team's faint postseason hopes alive.

With Elliott in net, the Senators haven't looked like a team that will likely miss the playoffs for the first time in 12 seasons. If he starts again Wednesday night, he'll try to help them match their longest home win streak of the season as they finish an eight-game stretch at Scotiabank Place with a matchup against the struggling Tampa Bay Lightning.

Ottawa (26-29-10) has won three straight with its rookie goaltender starting each time but sits in 12th place in the East.

If not for an ankle injury to recently acquired Pascal Leclaire, Elliott might be spending his days in Binghamton of the AHL instead of Ottawa. At the March 4 trade deadline, the Senators picked up Leclaire and a second-round pick in the 2009 draft from Columbus for center Antoine Vermette.

Leclaire, who had surgery in January, could return before the end of the season, and that would force Ottawa coach Cory Clouston to choose between Elliott or Alex Auld as the team's second goaltender.

Elliott has tried to earn that spot by allowing seven goals in his last four appearances. A victory Wednesday would give him the longest win streak of his young career and help Ottawa to its first four-game run at home since Nov. 22-Dec. 6.

In Monday night's 2-1 win over Toronto, he shut out the Maple Leafs over the final 55:12, allowing the Senators to rally on second-period goals from Daniel Alfredsson and Dany Heatley.

"A good effort," Alfredsson said. "I don't think we started great, but we grew as the game went on and protected the lead really well. We didn't give them a lot of chances in the third."

With 12 goals in their last three games, the Senators are hardly playing like one of the league's worst offensive teams -- 2.54 goals per game. Ottawa, however, still relies mainly on its top three scorers -- Alfredsson, Heatley and Jason Spezza -- who have accounted for 76 of the team's 165 goals.

Heatley has been the most consistent of the three lately with 10 goals and 15 points in his last 13 games. He has seven goals and 16 points in his last 12 meetings with Tampa Bay (21-32-13), while Alfredsson has 25 points in the past 16.

They'll face a Lightning team that's near the bottom of the league in goals allowed per game (3.21) and is coming off its worst performance of the season.

In a 9-3 loss to visiting Carolina on Saturday night, Karri Ramo gave up six goals in the first 26:03 before giving way to Mike McKenna, who allowed another three in the final 7:12 of the second period.

"A team stinker," interim coach Rick Tocchet said. "Every single guy contributed."
Tocchet's team has been outscored 29-19 in a 1-4-1 stretch and has allowed three goals or more in 11 of its last 13.

After winning eight straight over the Lightning, Ottawa is 5-3-2 in the last 10 and has split the last four meetings at home. This season, Tampa Bay earned a 3-2 shootout win at home Nov. 1, and the Senators won 2-0 in Ottawa on Dec. 13.

2Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Empty Re: Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:20 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

I dont know what I want. In one way I want the sens to lose so Tampa can catch us in the standings, in another way I always want the sens to win.

3Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Empty Re: Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:21 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

So does Heatley hit 40 goals this season? Does he hit a point per game? He seems to have found his touch lately anyway.

- Unknown Author

4Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Empty Re: Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:22 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

as much as we don't need it, I see another Senators win tonight, let's make it a good one, let Alfie get another 7 points against them and drub them good. We are better than the Lightning in pretty much every way, the iffy one being offense, they are a bit deeper than us there, but with the FFS line, we should be able to pot a few behind Ramo easily.

5Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Empty Re: Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:24 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I know where I stand. WIN

Tanking or losing serves no purpose.

6Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Empty Re: Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:29 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's either gonna be 14-2 for the Sens or 2-0 for the Lightning. You know? Feast or famine.

7Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Empty Re: Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:34 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Wonder how many people will be at SBP for this one.

Remember the last game between these two?

8Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Empty Re: Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:47 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm aiming for 14-2 Sens personally.

Roberts and Recchi gone, and although Vinny can be a handful, I think with the emergence of our surprising FFS line, it will be an entertaining game, except for "Name Dropper" calling the action (if I may borrow Seaway's pet name). Gord Wilson is excellent, but man, if Elliott is in net, it could go either way with Stone MacGuire.

Oh, and if it's 4-0 Sens with 2 mins left to play, Gord, for the LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT say the S word till the game is OVER!! PLEASE!!!!

9Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Empty Re: Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:47 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

davetherave wrote:Wonder how many people will be at SBP for this one.

Remember the last game between these two?

I won't, will be catching the score after on tsn as I will be at the Great Big Sea concert. whoooo

10Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Empty Re: Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:51 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

GBS! Sweet dude. They put on a great show. Hope you have a blast my friend.

11Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Empty Re: Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:52 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:GBS! Sweet dude. They put on a great show. Hope you have a blast my friend.

oh I am hoping so too, am thinking the pregnant better half will be pretty tired by the time the kitchen party is over though, it starts at 8 and I really don't expect to get out of there before midnight, the parking lot at the coliseum is horrible.

12Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Empty Re: Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:53 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cronie wrote:I'm aiming for 14-2 Sens personally.

Roberts and Recchi gone, and although Vinny can be a handful, I think with the emergence of our surprising FFS line, it will be an entertaining game, except for "Name Dropper" calling the action (if I may borrow Seaway's pet name). Gord Wilson is excellent, but man, if Elliott is in net, it could go either way with Stone MacGuire.

Oh, and if it's 4-0 Sens with 2 mins left to play, Gord, for the LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT say the S word till the game is OVER!! PLEASE!!!!

When McGuire was asked about the game against Toronto he answered by emphasizing that Elliott was just "OK". Funny, I didn't hear anyone ask about Elliott.

Then he patronizes the fan by acknowledging their "High hockey IQ". What a turkey.

13Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Empty Re: Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:53 pm

Hopefully Elliott can pull together another solid game. Hopefully the weak goal can stay out tonight as well.

14Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Empty Re: Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:56 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Cronie wrote:I'm aiming for 14-2 Sens personally.

When McGuire was asked about the game against Toronto he answered by emphasizing that Elliott was just "OK". Funny, I didn't hear anyone ask about Elliott.

Then he patronizes the fan by acknowledging their "High hockey IQ". What a turkey.

did the turkey say those two magic words about Elliott, rebound control? I seriously am all for muting any broadcast on tsn.

15Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Empty Re: Game Day March 11: Bolts at Sens Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:58 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, MacGuire can be a lot to take at times, that's for sure.

and Neely, I'm hoping Elliott can keep the weak ones out for sure.

Speaking of weak, did anybody catch Hartnell's second last night? I'm not sure if it qualifies as uniquely weak with a touch of funny/flukey!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum