GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Montreal Canadiens fire Coach Guy Carbonneau

+13
Cronie
beedub
SensFan71
davetherave
The Silfer Server
PTFlea
Acrobat
shabbs
caissie_1
Sp00nz
asq2
Riprock
LeCaptain
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Jordo

Sophomore
Sophomore

McGuire made a good point this morning about the lack of talented UFAs actually wanting to come and play in Montreal.

Did you guys actually hear that guy who called? Rudy was his name- "I think Gainey is a genius for the contracts he's signed- with the economy so low, he's going to have a ton of room to go 'bargain shopping' for UFAs in the summer when other teams are going to be strapped for cash" was his argument.

Okay Rudy, so what you're saying is Gainey predicted the economic downturn a few years back when he issued all these contracts- and now that it's come to fruition, he's a genius because he has to either a) resign ALL of them (to what Rudy thinks will be a lower price tag because the economy is so low) or b) go shopping for 'bargains' at UFA day.

Sad thing is Rudy, in case you haven't noticed- the shelves aren't exactly stock full of high talent UFAs, and even if it was- as McGuire mentioned- none of them really want to play in Montreal.
Also, it's going to be a "rude-y" awakening when he sees that regardless of the recession, the teams will still throw asinine amounts of money at high level free agents. Included in this category is anybody on the beloved habs roster- and Kovalev is headed straight to Russia if Gainey doesn't resign him.

Sorry for the rant, this guy's point just made me so mad...

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:I have to agree with Wprager.

When I was younger, being an Ottawa boy born and raised, I was a leaf fan, but my mother's side of the family who are 110% Quebec french were hardcore Habs and I remember hearing the stories of the Rocket, and watching the occasional hab game with my grandfather and uncles and back then they were a fantastic org and something to be envied for sure. In fact, I've met Guy LaFleur on 3 occasions (he's done charity work in partnership with the RCMP and so my father (a mountie) would bring me along knowing I'd get a chance to meet him and others, like Mahovolich, etc...

This Habs team of late is, to reiterate a previous poster's post, NOTHING at all like the Habs of past. the passion, the dream and fire is NOT there and that must fall on Gainey's head. Carbo deserves some blame, but at the end of the day, Gainey is the fella bringing these players into the fold and while it is and was Carbo's job to get the best out of them, well, especially in Kovalev and the Kostitistin's cases: you can bring a horse to water...

oh definitely the roster of the modern day Habitants is nothing compared to the historical rosters, but that may have ended with not having a preference on drafting the french quebecer players (was there such a thing for the Habs or am I wrong?) Most of the historic players from the dynasty days of the habs, they were I am sure, if not all, then mostly french canadians.

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Getting back to the Carboneau firing; when's the last time a GM took over for a coach heading into the playoffs and it actually paid off with a Finals appearance or a Stanley Cup? I honestly don't know. Has it ever happened? Recent memory brings me to the Sens with Brian Murray and Lou Lamourello with the Devils and both times it failed.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Getting back to the Carboneau firing; when's the last time a GM took over for a coach heading into the playoffs and it actually paid off with a Finals appearance or a Stanley Cup? I honestly don't know. Has it ever happened? Recent memory brings me to the Sens with Brian Murray and Lou Lamourello with the Devils and both times it failed.

am hoping that Gainey realizes that even if his team makes the playoffs, it is going to be an early exit, this team will not stand up against any other of the bubble teams, and if they do fall to less than 5th, they won't stack up against the elite 3, definitely not boston or NJ.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Normally I'd agree SF, but in terms of Boston, I'm on the fence. They are struggling of late, but I would chalk that up to running at full tilt for so long that they are starting to show signs of burn out, but I'm hopeful they can get some rest and will be a force to be reckoned with. Plus, I would love nothing more than to see Boston sweep the Habs out 1st round!

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:Normally I'd agree SF, but in terms of Boston, I'm on the fence. They are struggling of late, but I would chalk that up to running at full tilt for so long that they are starting to show signs of burn out, but I'm hopeful they can get some rest and will be a force to be reckoned with. Plus, I would love nothing more than to see Boston sweep the Habs out 1st round!

well with Boston, if there is a time to struggle, it is not before the playoffs start. a few losses now really shouldn't effect them long term, they just need to kick back into high gear after April 4th. Boston fans would love the scenario you put forward as well, call it payback, especially since game 4 would be in the Bell Centre.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hahaha! Well said SF.

Gainey will have a LOT of work ahead of him this off-season, and in terms of this season falling apart, he could start with taking a good long look in the mirror.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:hahaha! Well said SF.

Gainey will have a LOT of work ahead of him this off-season, and in terms of this season falling apart, he could start with taking a good long look in the mirror.

and to add further insult to injury, to be there in a Boston jersey, chanting "Ole, ole, ole" GM's sometimes don't want to face their own accountability issues, like say, and hoping this doesn't happen, we all want Leclaire to do well, but if the same pattern occurs, he gets injured again, then BM will have to be facing his own music with Melnyk.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

believe me, something tells me Murray is only ALL too aware of that. I can't help thinking Murray wouldn't have done that deal if he didn't know something others and the league perhaps didn't about LeClair.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:believe me, something tells me Murray is only ALL too aware of that. I can't help thinking Murray wouldn't have done that deal if he didn't know something others and the league perhaps didn't about LeClair.

well I am hoping you are right Cronie and Murray has a crystal ball or something about Leclaire, we definitely need him to succeed as he is the only true # 1 we have had (with the exception of Hasek), not degrading Elliot though, he is almost there, like within 1 season of taking over full time.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

exactly SF. all in due time. Smile

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:exactly SF. all in due time. Smile

anyway, back to the montreal topic, oh yeah, they still suck lol. any news on their pee tests?

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I can't find ANYTHING on those tests to be honest. And as a PR guy for my day job, I can tell you once the public knows about the tests, keeping the results close to your vest or hidding them altogether, whether good or bad, is just a recipe for DISASTER!!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:
and to add further insult to injury, to be there in a Boston jersey, chanting "Ole, ole, ole" GM's sometimes don't want to face their own accountability issues, like say, and hoping this doesn't happen, we all want Leclaire to do well, but if the same pattern occurs, he gets injured again, then BM will have to be facing his own music with Melnyk.

There was a good point brought up the other day - there's very little chance Melnyk would have allowed BM to spend 11 million dollars on Kuba without fully intending to keep him on. I now think BM's almost untouchable. And rightly so, he's done fairly well. Made a few mistakes, but drafted unrealistically well and still has a plan for stocking the team as well as the cupboards.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:I can't find ANYTHING on those tests to be honest. And as a PR guy for my day job, I can tell you once the public knows about the tests, keeping the results close to your vest or hidding them altogether, whether good or bad, is just a recipe for DISASTER!!

well then, just adding more speculative fuel to the fire Montreal, this is definitely not good PR at all for the organization.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:believe me, something tells me Murray is only ALL too aware of that. I can't help thinking Murray wouldn't have done that deal if he didn't know something others and the league perhaps didn't about LeClair.

Yes he does know something, and it's written in a book somewhere about the value of risks in terms of round picks Sarcasm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:hahaha! Well said SF.

Don't underestimate Gainey.

He gave Carbo a golden opportunity, and Carbo blew it. So he canned him.

Now, with the economic downturn, all the players who are auditioning for new contracts know they are screwed if Bob tells them to take a hike...because the gravy train has left the station.

More than a few of them will be taking skinny deals just to stay in the NHL next year.

Hate the Habs if you want, but Gainey's as smart a GM as he was a player.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SensFan71 wrote:
Cronie wrote:I have to agree with Wprager.

When I was younger, being an Ottawa boy born and raised, I was a leaf fan, but my mother's side of the family who are 110% Quebec french were hardcore Habs and I remember hearing the stories of the Rocket, and watching the occasional hab game with my grandfather and uncles and back then they were a fantastic org and something to be envied for sure. In fact, I've met Guy LaFleur on 3 occasions (he's done charity work in partnership with the RCMP and so my father (a mountie) would bring me along knowing I'd get a chance to meet him and others, like Mahovolich, etc...

This Habs team of late is, to reiterate a previous poster's post, NOTHING at all like the Habs of past. the passion, the dream and fire is NOT there and that must fall on Gainey's head. Carbo deserves some blame, but at the end of the day, Gainey is the fella bringing these players into the fold and while it is and was Carbo's job to get the best out of them, well, especially in Kovalev and the Kostitistin's cases: you can bring a horse to water...

oh definitely the roster of the modern day Habitants is nothing compared to the historical rosters, but that may have ended with not having a preference on drafting the french quebecer players (was there such a thing for the Habs or am I wrong?) Most of the historic players from the dynasty days of the habs, they were I am sure, if not all, then mostly french canadians.

That would be going back farther than my time. I got here in '74. Sure I remember players like Lafleur, Cournoyer, Lapointe, Lemaire, Tremblay, Roy, etc, but I also remember Gainey, Robinson, Shutt, Jarvis, Dryden, Ludwig, Green, McPhee, Nilan. Not all were Hall of Fame material but they wer Habs.

Is there a single player apart from Koivu that you think will retire a Hab? Brisebois, perhaps, then that's it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum