GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hartsburg Fired!

+22
asq2
Phoenix30
TheAvatar
Acrobat
Bramlet07
Riprock
pgood
Cronie
PTFlea
davetherave
Cap'n Clutch
BigRig
rooneypoo
wprager
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
Mojo
shabbs
PKC
The Silfer Server
Jordo
LeCaptain
26 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 12]

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHizzlleee!!!

Jsut got texted by TSn...

More coming...

EDIT:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=265548&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

Craig Hartsburg was fired as head coach of the Ottawa Senators on Sunday night, only 48 games into his first season behind the team's bench.

The final straw for Hartsburg might have been Sunday's 7-4 loss to the Washington Capitals. After the game, Hartsburg called his team out for not playing hard.
"The thing for us right now is that we have to play the game with a lot more pride than what we started this game with," Hartsburg told the National Post. "You know what? [Washington] is a great team, and they exposed some things in us, but we have to take a lot more pride in ourselves as a team right from the start of hockey games."
Hartsburg signed a three-year contract in June of 2008, taking over for current general manager Bryan Murray. His 17-27-7 record has left Ottawa with 41 points, which is the third worst point total in the league.

The players should be ashamed of themselves. Ive never hated this team more than today.

Last edited by marakh on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:48 am; edited 3 times in total

2Hartsburg Fired! Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:44 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Hahaha. I was just in the process of posting this.

So does Murray take over for the interim?

3Hartsburg Fired! Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:52 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

murray holding a press conference at 11 am.

4Hartsburg Fired! Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:53 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I'm guessing Murray is bringing in someone to break some necks. Tortorella seems like a logical choice.

5Hartsburg Fired! Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:54 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I am quite shocked. I don't think this is the right move at this point in time.

6Hartsburg Fired! Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:57 am

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

I got to be honest, even though this season has been absolutely terrible I am still surprised this has happened. I thought he would at least make it through the year. It will be pretty hard for the team to shake the reputation as coach killers now. Murray needs to bring in someone with balls of steel and whip these boys good.

7Hartsburg Fired! Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:57 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:I am quite shocked. I don't think this is the right move at this point in time.

I'm only shocked because if they were ever going to fire anyone, it should have been about 20 games ago.

I honestly thought they were going with the staff and planning on fixing the real problem: The coach-killing players!!!!!!!!! scratch

8Hartsburg Fired! Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:59 am

Coach killer Spezza. 5 coaching changes in 7 years, 1 being a lockout...

9Hartsburg Fired! Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:05 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:I honestly thought they were going with the staff and planning on fixing the real problem: The coach-killing players!!!!!!!!! scratch
I don't know where they're going with this, or what they hope to accomplish this season. Hopefully Murray and Melnyk have a solid plan preparing for next season and beyond. I can understand that Melnyk wants to do things NOW for revenue this year. 2009 is going to be hard on everyone, but change for the sake of change with the season as far gone as it is now coule be more destructive... but then again, what have we got to lose?

Wink

Sigh...

10Hartsburg Fired! Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:07 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Is the presser on TV at all? TSN? Score?

11Hartsburg Fired! Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:10 am

Still going through the information fed my way, but it seems like Melnyk and Murray had a heart to heart. It may be that they talked to the captain and asked his opinion whether the team could make a turn around in the years to come with the current coach, or whether the players just didn't have the respect he deserved.

This may have led to Hartsburg being canned (caution at this point the Murray, Melnyk Alfie convo is just a rumor), but from what I can tell this is phase one, with Murray on the edge of his firing. Murray is now looking to not only find a new coach (one would think it will be a hard Donkey) but then consult with that coach as to who should go and don't be surprised if it's any number of a couple of big players. Fisher and Heatley may be tops on the list.

Dawg seems to think that Torts or Quinn will be named in the upcoming weeks and they will have some control over moves.

12Hartsburg Fired! Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:10 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:I honestly thought they were going with the staff and planning on fixing the real problem: The coach-killing players!!!!!!!!! scratch
I don't know where they're going with this, or what they hope to accomplish this season. Hopefully Murray and Melnyk have a solid plan preparing for next season and beyond. I can understand that Melnyk wants to do things NOW for revenue this year. 2009 is going to be hard on everyone, but change for the sake of change with the season as far gone as it is now coule be more destructive... but then again, what have we got to lose?

Wink

Sigh...

You know what, this team has problems that everyone can see. But playing lazy, uninspired hockey should NOT be one of them. It's just simply inexcusable to get outworked every game by the opposing team. We might not have the puck-moving defensemen or the secondary scoring or bonafide goaltending, but these guys are professional hockey players and should be giving their best effort to play on both sides of the puck.
That's why he got fired: he couldn't get them working harder.

13Hartsburg Fired! Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:11 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Dawg's Wife wrote:Still going through the information fed my way, but it seems like Melnyk and Murray had a heart to heart. It may be that they talked to the captain and asked his opinion whether the team could make a turn around in the years to come with the current coach, or whether the players just didn't have the respect he deserved.

This may have led to Hartsburg being canned (caution at this point the Murray, Melnyk Alfie convo is just a rumor), but from what I can tell this is phase one, with Murray on the edge of his firing. Murray is now looking to not only find a new coach (one would think it will be a hard Donkey) but then consult with that coach as to who should go and don't be surprised if it's any number of a couple of big players. Fisher and Heatley may be tops on the list.

Dawg seems to think that Torts or Quinn will be named in the upcoming weeks and they will have some control over moves.

Thanks for the insight. I sincerely hope this is the case, but moving a NMC and NTC is going to be a tough sell to those bozos.

14Hartsburg Fired! Empty Hartsburg Fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:12 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Okay, so this site is really messed-up this morning, and I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere...I can't see anything!

Hartsburg is Finished with the Sens. He's been fired this morning, press conference at 11am. More to follow...

15Hartsburg Fired! Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:14 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Predictable. 20+ man roster. Six?

1. Martin fired and replaced by Murray. Team goes to the SCF.
- Spezza was a pup who wasn't even allowed to play "with men"
2. Murray hires Paddock. Awful, awful choice. Every one was saying so at the time.
3. Murray fires Paddock and take over again. Too little, too late.
4. Hartsburg hired. Again, some think it's the wrong choice; arguably Murray's second choice.
5. Hartsburg fired, likely replaced by Murray.
5. Rogers' one game behind the bench?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 12]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum