GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hartsburg Fired!

+22
asq2
Phoenix30
TheAvatar
Acrobat
Bramlet07
Riprock
pgood
Cronie
PTFlea
davetherave
Cap'n Clutch
BigRig
rooneypoo
wprager
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
Mojo
shabbs
PKC
The Silfer Server
Jordo
LeCaptain
26 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 12]

151Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:54 am

SpezDispenser wrote:Oh yeah, for sure. But that's not entirely fair, I definitely said I was wrong about Clouston. Several times I think actually. But I'll GLADLY do it again: I was wrong about Cory Clouston. 100% wrong, I didn't know what I was saying, I love the work he's doing. Lalalala

Many of us are in that boat. I remember writing a scathing post about Clouston being hired. I remember saying that team with all its coach killers would eat him alive. Pretty much dead wrong there lol.

152Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:05 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Clouston will get this team nowhere.

Looks like the entire GMH founding crew has some crow eating to do Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 159628

I think this says it all right here:

Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 Egg-on-face1

153Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:37 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:I'm kidding of course, I laughed...I was some pissed off... Ahhhhh!

You? I thought it was some loser named 504Heater.

Sarcasm

154Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:40 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

marakh wrote:
MurderOnIce wrote:If he is stupid enough to put Clouston in place then, begrudgingly they should be moving Murray out too. This is silly. There are a lot of coaches out there. He recently interviewed them you would think. He should be in position to pull the trigger on a better solution than Clouston, even if it is just for a few games. I am sorry but the fanbase here deserves better than here is another vanilla AHL coach to run your 'Contender' Diddle that.

Golden Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 62136

The part about Murray was correct, at least for the time. When Clouston was hired I read someone saying it was a fiscally responsible move. Clouston was already under contract and was a safe bet on what everyone already considered a lost year. If anything, Clouston led the team to a better record than they had hoped, and they didn't get that top-five pick.

But saying Clouston was the wrong choice was (sorry MOI) wrong.

155Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:45 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hartsburg?!??!???

FIRED????!!?!??!!???? Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 235689 Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 805406

156Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:51 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:Clouston is the best thing that's happened to this team, bar none, in the last calendar year. His record -- 47-32-8, a winning percentage of .586 -- speaks for itself, especially when you consider the situation he walked into.

I'm glad I wasn't among the many slamming him before he even got behind the bench for a game, tho'... although this thread also features me in the last throes of "let's give Spezza more of a chance" stance. Thank Clouston / N4L for showing us the way out there, too.

This is now a team that, surprisingly, is better for all the adversity it's faced. 20 more games of the same brand of hockey and we're going to be a tough 1st round draw.

We could be looking at a first round home playoff series...imagine that.

157Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:07 am

rooneypoo wrote:Clouston is the best thing that's happened to this team, bar none, in the last calendar year. His record -- 47-32-8, a winning percentage of .586 -- speaks for itself, especially when you consider the situation he walked into.

I'm glad I wasn't among the many slamming him before he even got behind the bench for a game, tho'... although this thread also features me in the last throes of "let's give Spezza more of a chance" stance. Thank Clouston / N4L for showing us the way out there, too.

This is now a team that, surprisingly, is better for all the adversity it's faced. 20 more games of the same brand of hockey and we're going to be a tough 1st round draw.

It's always been that way, man. Spezza has been the problem in Ottawa for a long time and when the team is at it's best, it's when Spezza is out, doesnt matter who the coach is really. When he comes back after these things, he is forced to do what the coach and team wants because, in all honesty, he doesnt make the difference. The Sens are a playoff team with or without Spezza, right now, they are not a contender with or without him either... so where does that leave the guy? He's not as important as people want to believe and he is over paid by such a large margin it's kind of revolting.

As for Clouston, well everyone felt the love fairly quickly but I was def one of the guys to say "lets wait and see". The game has changed and the new NHL needs guys like him, look no further then Edmonton to see how the old guard is no longer useful (Quinn). Same can be applied for Spezza, his big body, long reach, and wait and see attitude on the ice was for the old NHL, the game changed around him too. He's not an impact player 4 years after the lockout.

158Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:30 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Phew. I'm safe. I went back and checked all my posts (here) and the most negative comment was that I remained skeptical of another coach with no NHL experience.

159Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:41 am

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

I'll eat some crow too, although I wasn't here at the time. I remember openly questioning the move, but if I remember correctly I didn't question Corry's ability as a coach but more whether this group of veterans (Fisher, Alfie, Phillips, Heatley, Spezza) would back him and his decisions.
A family friend was and is still in Bingo, and as a result he informed me that Clouston was very much a hard Donkey. That was my basis for not liking the move as I felt he would only last 1/2 and then the players would call for his head.

Clearly I was wrong, well wrong except for one pice of Dung, and thankfully he was shipped out.

160Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:20 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I'm kidding of course, I laughed...I was some pissed off... Ahhhhh!

You? I thought it was some loser named 504Heater.

Sarcasm

Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 270956 True, 'twasn't me.

161Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:55 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:
As for Clouston, well everyone felt the love fairly quickly but I was def one of the guys to say "lets wait and see". The game has changed and the new NHL needs guys like him, look no further then Edmonton to see how the old guard is no longer useful (Quinn). Same can be applied for Spezza, his big body, long reach, and wait and see attitude on the ice was for the old NHL, the game changed around him too. He's not an impact player 4 years after the lockout.

I did not want another old recycled coach (Hartley, Hartsburg). I believe there were people (on HBoards Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 489887 ) who wanted Pat Quinn. ... I just LOL'd at that suggestion.

Seeing how well a lot of the rookie coaches in the league I'm glad we took a chance on Clouston. Look at Boudreau, Bylsma and Sacco's successes among others. For whatever reason, the NHL coaching ranks need some new blood. Let the old guard get jobs for TSN doing that stupid quiz every week.

162Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:08 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Devo wrote:I'll eat some crow too, although I wasn't here at the time. I remember openly questioning the move, but if I remember correctly I didn't question Corry's ability as a coach but more whether this group of veterans (Fisher, Alfie, Phillips, Heatley, Spezza) would back him and his decisions.
A family friend was and is still in Bingo, and as a result he informed me that Clouston was very much a hard Donkey. That was my basis for not liking the move as I felt he would only last 1/2 and then the players would call for his head.

Clearly I was wrong, well wrong except for one pice of Dung, and thankfully he was shipped out.

YOur wife had some wise posts in there.

163Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:09 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:
Devo wrote:I'll eat some crow too, although I wasn't here at the time. I remember openly questioning the move, but if I remember correctly I didn't question Corry's ability as a coach but more whether this group of veterans (Fisher, Alfie, Phillips, Heatley, Spezza) would back him and his decisions.

I don't think Devo is Dawg. He said that the other day. We were all mistaken and confused. Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 805406

164Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:13 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Anyways, the reason why I am digging these threads (like the Karlsson situation) is to analyze Murray's decisions and maybe judge his tenure here in Ottawa. It would be good to have the Ottawa media re-read their stuff as well.

165Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:14 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
marakh wrote:

I don't think Devo is Dawg. He said that the other day. We were all mistaken and confused. Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 805406

Oh ok... I don't remember who said it.

166Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:15 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:
N4L wrote:

I did not want another old recycled coach (Hartley, Hartsburg). I believe there were people (on HBoards Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 489887 ) who wanted Pat Quinn. ... I just LOL'd at that suggestion.

Seeing how well a lot of the rookie coaches in the league I'm glad we took a chance on Clouston. Look at Boudreau, Bylsma and Sacco's successes among others. For whatever reason, the NHL coaching ranks need some new blood. Let the old guard get jobs for TSN doing that stupid quiz every week.

Are you thinking of Pat Quinn's "success" in Edmonton?

167Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:20 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Are you thinking of Pat Quinn's "success" in Edmonton?

More like "lack of success".

Although I'm not sure there's a coach in existence that could make a winner out of that roster, especially with all the injuries they have.

I just think old-timers like Quinn are past their expiry date in today's NHL.

168Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 Empty Re: Hartsburg Fired! Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:04 pm

N4L wrote:As for Clouston, well everyone felt the love fairly quickly but I was def one of the guys to say "lets wait and see". The game has changed and the new NHL needs guys like him, look no further then Edmonton to see how the old guard is no longer useful (Quinn). Same can be applied for Spezza, his big body, long reach, and wait and see attitude on the ice was for the old NHL, the game changed around him too. He's not an impact player 4 years after the lockout.

I said the exact same thing, different words... Welcome back, indeed! Hartsburg Fired! - Page 11 85287

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum