GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Montreal Canadiens fire Coach Guy Carbonneau

+13
Cronie
beedub
SensFan71
davetherave
The Silfer Server
PTFlea
Acrobat
shabbs
caissie_1
Sp00nz
asq2
Riprock
LeCaptain
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Well, maybe if he quit smoking 2 packs a day, that would help too! LOL

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I found it interesting that there was a recent "bag skate" in Habs Land. Sound familiar?

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Nice on Seaway... Personal bias aside, I don't think the Habs are capable or even willing of turning a corner this season.

It's funny, because where I reside is mainly leaf and hab territory, and the local french paper has been running editorial cartoons for over a week now chastising and mocking Gainey for his terrible management and lack of moves at the deadline to help the team... Does any of THAT sound familiar?! LOL

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Cronie wrote:Well, maybe if he quit smoking 2 packs a day, that would help too! LOL

Cronie, you're forgetting the Khabibulin factor. Smoking so much you are sneaking out between periods for a couple of fags is actually helping his game.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cronie wrote:Nice on Seaway... Personal bias aside, I don't think the Habs are capable or even willing of turning a corner this season.

It's funny, because where I reside is mainly leaf and hab territory, and the local french paper has been running editorial cartoons for over a week now chastising and mocking Gainey for his terrible management and lack of moves at the deadline to help the team... Does any of THAT sound familiar?! LOL

At least they're not making fun of the way he talks.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Cronie wrote:I'd have to say that I remember saying as a joke maybe Carbo would not be returning behind the bench for next season, but I certainly didn't think they'd fire him NOW...

And what exactly makes Gainey think HE can regain the room?!
chances are, Gainey is going to have a nice little firesale this off-season: time to start over Bob, your window is closing FAST and Price is faltering something fierce, rebuild is in order I think.

Kovalev has stated publically that Gainey is the only one in the organization that listens to him.

(oh, boo hoo hoo.... Sad )

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Cronie wrote:Nice on Seaway... Personal bias aside, I don't think the Habs are capable or even willing of turning a corner this season.

Ahh! Touché!

And Acrobat, if that's what's Kovalev is banking on, then Habs fans had better do themselves a favor and reduce their expectations considerably because they will probably want a mulligan on this season by April! LOL

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Cronie wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Ahh! Touché!

And Acrobat, if that's what's Kovalev is banking on, then Habs fans had better do themselves a favor and reduce their expectations considerably because they will probably want a mulligan on this season by April! LOL

Tough to take a mulligan on a "100-year" season - what do you do? cancel it and say that next year is the real anniversary?

This one is locked in the history books forever. Gainey's legacy = Scared

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Carbo lost the room a long time ago.

He wasn't able to get the Canadiens into the playoffs his first year; last year, with a lineup stocked with talent, they won the Eastern Conference only to stutter throughout the playoffs; and this year, he couldn't get the guys to play consistent hockey from Day One.

The brutal reality of Guy Carbonneau as coach of the Montreal Canadiens is that he was underqualified, and the players knew it.

The very qualities that made him one of the NHL's top players--his total dedication to excellence and hard work, single-minded focus, and stubborn refusal to bend in the face of adversity--were his undoing as a bench boss.

Carbo had Bob Gainey's endorsement, but he had none of Bob's ability to manage people.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Well, we shall see how they respond to Gainey, but the bigger question is, who does Bob target to hire as a HC?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Cronie wrote:Well, we shall see how they respond to Gainey, but the bigger question is, who does Bob target to hire as a HC?

A very good question. Coaches in Montreal last an average of three seasons. Who do you think would want that job?

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

I wonder if it matters - Gainey has demonstrated that he wasn't concerned about keeping the team together long-term, by allowing 10-12 players to go this long without a contract for next year. How many of them will feel loyal to him, or whomever he hires?

And of those that are left, how do they feel about the commitment to the team, when several of the core players (Kovalev, Koivu, Komisarek) are still unsigned?

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Acrobat wrote:I wonder if it matters - Gainey has demonstrated that he wasn't concerned about keeping the team together long-term, by allowing 10-12 players to go this long without a contract for next year. How many of them will feel loyal to him, or whomever he hires?

And of those that are left, how do they feel about the commitment to the team, when several of the core players (Kovalev, Koivu, Komisarek) are still unsigned?

The other side of that coin is that the unsigned players should be playing their tails off to earn those nice fat new contracts.

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

very good points Acrobat.

These are all things that I feel Gainey should have tackled a while ago and now it seems like they've fallen by the weighside and they could, invariably, come back to bite Bob square on the arse in July.

As far the coach, who knows?! Maybe Jacques Demers will come back... Kirk Muller could be promoted... or who's the coach of Hamilton Bulldogs?! Maybe he'll get the call...

EDIT: and you're absolutely BANG-ON with your flip side take DTR. Contracts need or at least SHOULD be earned, as opposed to just handed down because of a supply-demand issue.

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Bob Hartley, for sure. I fiery voice in the dressing room, French Canadian...good mix

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Has anyone thought that this team just plain sucks? Other than Markov and Komisarek...what is there to like? They are so...average. And that's being kind.

Unless Gainey is some kind of magician, they'll miss the playoffs. And if Gainey gets them in, it'll be all for not as they're destroyed by whatever team they play.

It's mostly Gainey's fault for waiting until this summer to purge the team of all the useless players there have (by telling them to flock off to UFA-dom).

Rubbish. Couldn't happen to a better fanbase either.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

beedub wrote:
Cronie, you're forgetting the Khabibulin factor. Smoking so much you are sneaking out between periods for a couple of fags is actually helping his game.

LOL - are you guys serious? Do they actually smoke?

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:
beedub wrote:

LOL - are you guys serious? Do they actually smoke?

Well, it's about the only stimulant left that's legal, no?
(no, I don't smoke - I'm an avid anti-smoker, in fact.)

Love to see one of them go into a coughing fit just as they're about to make a big play:
"But coach, I couldn't stop the puck and cough up a lung at the same time..."

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum