GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is this it? Finally?

+11
SensGirl11
davetherave
caissie_1
asq2
BigRig
SeawaySensFan
beedub
Cronie
LeCaptain
wprager
Aetherial
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

31Is this it? Finally? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:02 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
hemlock wrote:To suggest we've magically turned the corner now is incredibly premature. I don't like to see the team lose either, but realistically, losing now is better for the team's future. This isn't rocket science. I don't know why more people cannot, or refuse to see this.

My labcoat is at the cleaners but I'm thinking that some people have looked at losing now and it's consequences for the future and disagree that it's necessarily the best thing.

There's more to building a team and maintaining a winning record than "tanking" for picks.

Absolutely. But all the teams who have longer term success build through the draft. I'm not saying we ought to be bad for half a decade like the Hawks and Kings, but the next 30 or so games wouldn't hurt lol. I'm not talking long term here. We are out of it this year. I think that's pretty well inevitable. So why are we trying to actively worsen our draft position? That's my point. The fanbase will still be there. Ottawa doesn't deserve a franchise otherwise. To even talk about the fanbase dwindling after ONE season of missing the playoffs shows how fickle Ottawa sports fans are.

32Is this it? Finally? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:07 pm

hemlock wrote:How are we getting younger? Bringing in Kuba for Mez add years, and Smith is long in the tooth.
How are we not getting younger?? Other than those two examples and re-signing Donovan, we're younger in every position from the Cup run, other than the players who remain and are now 2 years older.
Our goalie is younger, our coach is younger, we actually have rookies on our roster, our puck movers are younger; not to mention the fact that the three players mentioned above, plus McAmmond, will all be gone (likely) by the end of next season.
We're clearly getting younger.

33Is this it? Finally? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:45 pm

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod

On TSN they have MSP at 7th in the draft order. It is possible we can still land him at this point.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=266973&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl

34Is this it? Finally? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:49 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SensGirl11 wrote:On TSN they have MSP at 7th in the draft order. It is possible we can still land him at this point.

I hope so. If we are picking 7th or 8th, I'd like one of MSP, Cowen, Schenn or Schroeder (who I can't believe they have at 12).

I think MSP will go higher than that though. This list is really flattering to the OHL players.

35Is this it? Finally? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:50 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I was wondering about that. It seems somebody has a 'thing' for OHL players...

36Is this it? Finally? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:52 pm

asq2 wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:On TSN they have MSP at 7th in the draft order. It is possible we can still land him at this point.

I hope so. If we are picking 7th or 8th, I'd like one of MSP, Cowen, Schenn or Schroeder (who I can't believe they have at 12).

I think MSP will go higher than that though. This list is really flattering to the OHL players.

The actual draft usually is too. TSN usually has it closer than anyone else.

37Is this it? Finally? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:57 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I think the Senators are in a perfect position right now to be honest. The East is weak as hell, if they do put all their stuff together, is it really that unfathomable to imagine this team going 15-2?

Also, Murray is undoubtedly moving the UFAs before the trade deadline for something of decent to great value. Do you think Columbus would bite on Kuba and Neil for a first and a prospect like Russell? Maybe. Maybe not. But this team could very well be holding 3 first round picks for this upcoming draft; and, regardless of our finish, it's hard to imagine not getting at least 1 good player out of those picks.

On top of all that, we get to see what these rookies and youngsters can do and how much they can handle, where we need to improve. This team could be dramatically better as soon as next season. And it might not even take a 'tank' to get the job done.

38Is this it? Finally? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:58 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:
hemlock wrote:To suggest we've magically turned the corner now is incredibly premature. I don't like to see the team lose either, but realistically, losing now is better for the team's future. This isn't rocket science. I don't know why more people cannot, or refuse to see this.

My labcoat is at the cleaners but I'm thinking that some people have looked at losing now and it's consequences for the future and disagree that it's necessarily the best thing.

There's more to building a team and maintaining a winning record than "tanking" for picks.

I'm with you on this one. As much as I know the importance of drafting high, I'm more interested in having the team turn the corner and play better hockey. They need to come together as a team (they have been lately) and get their game back in order. That, to me is more important right now. We've been free-falling too long, and I really don't know how much a good pick would help us, when our team isn't playing as a team. I don't really care how good the prospect is, it won't do much if you're team isn't playing as a team.

Either way, the draft this year is very deep, and we will get a good pick no matter what.

Right now, we're still in a spot to get Tavares or Hedman, whether we stay in that position is unknown at the moment.

If we don't stay in that position, we have a chance at MSP, Kadri (not familiar with him), schroeder, Ellis amongst others.

39Is this it? Finally? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:31 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Even if Ottawa wins every game from now to March 4th, McAmmond and Schubert are gone.

For spicing up a rivalry, I hope Murray takes Schenn.

I don't care about draft position. It's better to have Elliott, Lee, Foligno, Winchester, and Picard get a taste of winning to carry over to next year. Besides, if Murray wants to move up a few spots, that is where the San Jose 1st rd. pick comes in handy.

40Is this it? Finally? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:38 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

dennycrane wrote:Even if Ottawa wins every game from now to March 4th, McAmmond and Schubert are gone.

I don't care about draft position. It's better to have Elliott, Lee, Foligno, Winchester, and Picard get a taste of winning to carry over to next year. Besides, if Murray wants to move up a few spots, that is where the San Jose 1st rd. pick comes in handy.

So very true. I keep forgetting about that.

41Is this it? Finally? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:40 pm

dennycrane wrote:Even if Ottawa wins every game from now to March 4th, McAmmond and Schubert are gone.

Hopefully Lee tastes something else besides the ice after consistantly picking his face up off it.

42Is this it? Finally? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:45 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I'm warming up to him. I don't think he has the elite offensive potential of some of the other players in the draft but he seems to be the sort of guy who you win a Cup with.

43Is this it? Finally? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:04 pm

Neely4Life wrote:

Hopefully Lee tastes something else besides the ice after consistantly picking his face up off it.
lol improvement or no improvement, Lee could get traded and I wouldn't blink an eye... What do you guys think the return could be for a package of Lee and Neil, assuming we get ourselves back in the race and would rather ride it out with Kuba?

44Is this it? Finally? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:15 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

cash wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:

lol improvement or no improvement, Lee could get traded and I wouldn't blink an eye... What do you guys think the return could be for a package of Lee and Neil, assuming we get ourselves back in the race and would rather ride it out with Kuba?

A 2nd rounder? More? I'm not sure. Lee isn't worth too much right now, IMO.

45Is this it? Finally? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:34 pm

cash wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:

If Lee goes anywhere, its to a place that is DESPERATE for any kind of D man. I dont think it would be much more than a 3rd rounder if he did. The guy is useless. He literally does nothing on the ice. Maybe Atlanta? Tampa?

46Is this it? Finally? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:37 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:If Lee goes anywhere, its to a place that is DESPERATE for any kind of D man. I dont think it would be much more than a 3rd rounder if he did. The guy is useless. He literally does nothing on the ice. Maybe Atlanta? Tampa?

That's not true. And he's a rookie.

You don't see Tampa dealing Stamkos for a 3rd just because he hasn't been effective in his first season.

Lee is not who we should be looking to deal.

I would only deal Lee if it were in a package for a better defenceman like Hamhuis (ie, Vermette, Lee, 4th for Hamhuis, Dekanich, 2nd).

47Is this it? Finally? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:45 pm

asq2 wrote:
Neely4Life wrote:If Lee goes anywhere, its to a place that is DESPERATE for any kind of D man. I dont think it would be much more than a 3rd rounder if he did. The guy is useless. He literally does nothing on the ice. Maybe Atlanta? Tampa?

That's not true. And he's a rookie.

You don't see Tampa dealing Stamkos for a 3rd just because he hasn't been effective in his first season.

Lee is not who we should be looking to deal.

I would only deal Lee if it were in a package for a better defenceman like Hamhuis (ie, Vermette, Lee, 4th for Hamhuis, Dekanich, 2nd).

If you can tell me what the purpose of having Lee on the ice is, please tell me. He provides no offense, he is a defensive liability, he doesnt bring anything to the game that any run of the mil D man doesnt. The kid doesnt have enough skill to play the way he does.

Lee is a 1st round bust already, no one will really debate that, he was a waste of a top 10 pick. Rookie or not, Lee isnt smart enough, physical enough, or brave enough to be in the NHL right now. He has no shot, no offensive instinct, and no chance to live up to a 9th overall selection.

People questioned at the begining of the year why Bell was brought up over Lee, you're seeing it now. Lee should not be in the NHL and is here by defualt.

I dont think you deal Lee for a pick or prospect because that is basically spinning your wheels. But there is no way Lee turns into a top 4 guy, people waiting on that are going to be disapointed in a large way.

You're right though, if he is dealt it is in a package for something bigger.

Seriously though, does Lee do anything?

48Is this it? Finally? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:30 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:

Oh absolutely. There's no way I deal a 21 year old for a pick or a mid-level prospect. I would deal him in a NY minute if it was part of a deal for a number one D-man though. No regrets, give me D-man X and I'll part with Lee with a smile on my face.

I actually think this is gonna happen this draft day/summer. If Murray can shed 1.3 with Lee and perhaps another player and get a D-man back who's gonna make a difference, it has to be done. I'm confident I'll never get over the Visnovsky trade...blah.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum