GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is this it? Finally?

+11
SensGirl11
davetherave
caissie_1
asq2
BigRig
SeawaySensFan
beedub
Cronie
LeCaptain
wprager
Aetherial
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

16Is this it? Finally? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:16 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cronenbergfan wrote:Asq2... That's a little too doom & Gloom, don't you think?

Asq can't see the positives of winning at the NHL level because he gets too caught up in prospects.

We've been winning for a decade without turning into the Leafs and our stars are YOUNG and getting younger.

17Is this it? Finally? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:36 am

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Asq can't see the positives of winning at the NHL level because he gets too caught up in prospects.

We've been winning for a decade without turning into the Leafs and our stars are YOUNG and getting younger.

:lol!:

That's only partially true.

There are positives in terms of (starting) winning (this late into the season) at the NHL level, as I've stated. If Clouston can prove he can bring stability to our coaching position and Elliott to the goaltending position, I'm happy.

What I mean is - the past two seasons (or perhaps only last season, memory may not serve back that far) the Leafs got totally out of it, were dreaming of Stamkos or Doughty and then at the very end of the season turned it around so that they still missed the playoffs and their pick was worse. Granted, they got Schenn out of it but that was a pretty questionable call by the Islanders and they should probably have been looking at a Mikael Boedkker or Colin Wilson.

I don't mean to cast a down-pour on our streak because, like everyone else, I'm enjoying it. But I still feel that three-game win streak or not, we have holes on the roster now and going forward and we could have more than filled them with a top-2 selection (and I doubt we'll find a replacement for Alfredsson on the UFA market).

Also, I feel sorry for the Binghamton fans. If we were hopelessly out of it, we might return guys like Shannon, Bell and perhaps even Elliott (not likely) to the team for their playoff push.

18Is this it? Finally? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:42 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

asq2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

There are positives in terms of (starting) winning (this late into the season) at the NHL level, as I've stated. If Clouston can prove he can bring stability to our coaching position and Elliott to the goaltending position, I'm happy.

What I mean is - the past two seasons (or perhaps only last season, memory may not serve back that far) the Leafs got totally out of it, were dreaming of Stamkos or Doughty and then at the very end of the season turned it around so that they still missed the playoffs and their pick was worse. Granted, they got Schenn out of it but that was a pretty questionable call by the Islanders and they should probably have been looking at a Mikael Boedkker or Colin Wilson.

I don't mean to cast a down-pour on our streak because, like everyone else, I'm enjoying it. But I still feel that three-game win streak or not, we have holes on the roster now and going forward and we could have more than filled them with a top-2 selection (and I doubt we'll find a replacement for Alfredsson on the UFA market).

Also, I feel sorry for the Binghamton fans. If we were hopelessly out of it, we might return guys like Shannon, Bell and perhaps even Elliott (not likely) to the team for their playoff push.

The Leafs are overachieving with crap players. We are underachieving with good, mostly young players. Apples and oranges.

This streak is no more an indication of how good we are than our season record is an indication of how bad we are.

19Is this it? Finally? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:52 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
asq2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

The Leafs are overachieving with crap players. We are underachieving with good, mostly young players. Apples and oranges.

This streak is no more an indication of how good we are than our season record is an indication of how bad we are.

I'm not entirely sure of that, but we'll agree to partially disagree.

20Is this it? Finally? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:57 am

Aetherial

Aetherial
Rookie
Rookie

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Are you serious?

21Is this it? Finally? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:05 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Is this it? Finally? - Page 2 Probs10

The University of Alberta Business School published a computer simulation of playoff probabilities that was featured in a National Post story January 30th, putting the Senators' playoff chances at zero per cent. The revised calculation as of this past week improves their chances by 0.3 per cent. The updated chart is shown here.

With twenty nine games remaining for the Senators, it appears that the current 'leaders' in the so-called Tavares-Hedman Sweepstakes (Tampa, Toronto, Ottawa, Atlanta and the Islanders) will maintain their presence in that group of five, with some positions possibly shifting within the group.

As CJRC's Alain Sanscartier mentioned on the post game show last night, even as the Senators improve their play and win more games, it is reasonable to expect, given the current trends, that the teams on the playoff bubble will maintain their pace. Therefore the likelihood of Ottawa catching or passing Pittsburgh, Carolina, Buffalo, and Florida (the current 'bubble teams'), is at best remote.

Relieved of the pressure of making the playoffs, Clouston and his crew can focus on improving their game and playing the role of spoilers.

Should the unexpected take place (such as the sudden simultaneous collapse of at least three of the four 'bubble teams'), they would thus be prepared for whatever positive opportunity might present itself.

Last edited by davetherave on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

22Is this it? Finally? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:24 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

And there's always this place that's a neat resource.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Northeast/Senators.html

23Is this it? Finally? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:24 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Aetherial wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Are you serious?

Pretty much.

24Is this it? Finally? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:32 am

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SSF, does Alice Cooper like hockey? I know he's a BIG golf fan.

25Is this it? Finally? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:16 pm

Aetherial wrote:What is the feeling amoung you Sens fans... excitement, relief, cautious optimism?

I count 3 wins in a row, no? against decent teams I think?

Could they finally be turning a corner here? Do they still have a shot at making the playoffs (where Boston looks to me like a team that might be the surprise upset victim!)

Its nice to see. However, this is the first 3 game winning streak the team has had all season. Pretty hard to justify being excited about the prospect of making the playoffs.

I'm more excited about the upbeat game Clouston has them playing. I slammed this move, but so far I've turned out to be very wrong. I'd love to have a big name coach, but really, if Clouston can keep this team playing well for the rest of the season, it will be hard to say goodbye to him.

26Is this it? Finally? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:25 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:

How are we getting younger? Bringing in Kuba for Mez add years, and Smith is long in the tooth.

Like asq2, the only positives I can see so far are the coaching of Clouston and Elliott. Winning games the rest of this season only hurts our draft position, and what's worse, we've done it at the expense of our AHL team. They are pretty much dead in the water now.

The Leafs analogy is perfect. In fact, I'd say we are a combination of the Leafs and Tampa of a few years ago. Too much salary tied up in a few forwards, while lacking elsewhere. On top of that...aspiring to finish as high as possible without making the playoffs is just shooting yourself in the foot. Something the Leafs have done for a few years consecutively now. They got lucky to get Schenn. Hell a few teams got lucky that Josh Bailey is apparently the apple of Garth Snow's eye.

To suggest we've magically turned the corner now is incredibly premature. I don't like to see the team lose either, but realistically, losing now is better for the team's future. This isn't rocket science. I don't know why more people cannot, or refuse to see this.

27Is this it? Finally? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:28 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

davetherave wrote:SSF, does Alice Cooper like hockey? I know he's a BIG golf fan.

He does. The Thrashers had an Alice concert/Thrashers game combo. His childhood team are the Wings, he has a relationship with the Coyotes now.

28Is this it? Finally? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:49 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I didn't really want to get into this because I do enjoy watching this team win.

We've got 29 games left to go. We could win 20 of those games and still miss the play-offs. Turning it around now would be one of the worst things to happen, unless you're hoping Vermette, Kuba etc. can raise their values and bring back more at the deadline.

Another reason I mention the Leafs is that since the lock-out they have been in a cycle of mediocrity, a cycle, I might add, that is self-perpetuating.

Being mediocre, which, if we turn it around, is what we'd be, is worse than being terrible IMO. When you're mediocre, you're not good enough to make the playoffs or contend and you're not bad enough to set yourself up to draft in a position where you'll likely get players who will take you to the playoffs and help you contend.

For an example, in 2005-2006 the Leafs finished 9th and walked out of the 2006 draft with Jiri Tlusty. Now, he's a good player and might be a 30-goal scorer down the line, but no one should pretend they're better off long-term with him than had they finished third-last and drafted Jonny Toews.

Hind-sight is 20/20, yes. But I don't see why it should be much different in the future.

This is usually the time in such a debate when it is pointed out that no prospect is a guarantee. This, absolutely, is true. But I'll take my chances with Victor Hedman over my chances with Dmitry Kulikov.

Anyway, I'll continue to enjoy the success we're having right now but I'll also continue to hope it's an anomaly.

29Is this it? Finally? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:49 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
davetherave wrote:SSF, does Alice Cooper like hockey? I know he's a BIG golf fan.

He does. The Thrashers had an Alice concert/Thrashers game combo. His childhood team are the Wings, he has a relationship with the Coyotes now.

Very cool. Hockey rocks.

30Is this it? Finally? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:55 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

hemlock wrote:To suggest we've magically turned the corner now is incredibly premature. I don't like to see the team lose either, but realistically, losing now is better for the team's future. This isn't rocket science. I don't know why more people cannot, or refuse to see this.

My labcoat is at the cleaners but I'm thinking that some people have looked at losing now and it's consequences for the future and disagree that it's necessarily the best thing.

There's more to building a team and maintaining a winning record than "tanking" for picks.

31Is this it? Finally? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:02 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
hemlock wrote:To suggest we've magically turned the corner now is incredibly premature. I don't like to see the team lose either, but realistically, losing now is better for the team's future. This isn't rocket science. I don't know why more people cannot, or refuse to see this.

My labcoat is at the cleaners but I'm thinking that some people have looked at losing now and it's consequences for the future and disagree that it's necessarily the best thing.

There's more to building a team and maintaining a winning record than "tanking" for picks.

Absolutely. But all the teams who have longer term success build through the draft. I'm not saying we ought to be bad for half a decade like the Hawks and Kings, but the next 30 or so games wouldn't hurt lol. I'm not talking long term here. We are out of it this year. I think that's pretty well inevitable. So why are we trying to actively worsen our draft position? That's my point. The fanbase will still be there. Ottawa doesn't deserve a franchise otherwise. To even talk about the fanbase dwindling after ONE season of missing the playoffs shows how fickle Ottawa sports fans are.

32Is this it? Finally? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:07 pm

hemlock wrote:How are we getting younger? Bringing in Kuba for Mez add years, and Smith is long in the tooth.
How are we not getting younger?? Other than those two examples and re-signing Donovan, we're younger in every position from the Cup run, other than the players who remain and are now 2 years older.
Our goalie is younger, our coach is younger, we actually have rookies on our roster, our puck movers are younger; not to mention the fact that the three players mentioned above, plus McAmmond, will all be gone (likely) by the end of next season.
We're clearly getting younger.

33Is this it? Finally? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is this it? Finally? Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:45 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

On TSN they have MSP at 7th in the draft order. It is possible we can still land him at this point.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=266973&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum