GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

I've finally done it -- bye-bye Rogers ...

+4
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
wprager
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1I've finally done it -- bye-bye Rogers ... Empty I've finally done it -- bye-bye Rogers ... Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:43 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Finally called today and canceled. I have until March 12 to cut over to Bell. Just got tired of:
- having to call every 2-3 months to have them fix my bill
- the NextBox 2 is not fit for purpose with the new firmware; nearly completely unusable
- my "rent-free for life" deal is gone since their s/w won't let them enter it; I would literally have to call every 12 months to remind them to give me another 12-months rent-free (meanwhile free PVRs to all new subs at both Rogers and Bell)
- ridiculous escalating fees (went from $133/month to $222 in four years, I think -- that's nearly 14% CAGR)
- same service with Bell would be $185/month (and less than that in first 6/12 months)

Plus the Bell PVR is much nicer. I don't think I would ever be so pathetic as to actually require 8 tuners, so Bell's ability to record 4 HD streams is enough (mind you, I've been *told* it'll do 4xHD; have to actually see it in action). The UI on the Bell box, though, is much nicer. With all the changes that Rogers did changing away from Sara, they still aren't what I remember from my BEV box, 10 years ago. And, of course, the glitches and bugs, still a-plenty.

So, now I have to visit a Bell store -- or can I still get everything I need over the phone?

OK, who has gone through this recently? What do I have to watch out for? How is Bell's modem and wireless router -- with Rogers' DOCSIS modem I was told to disable the wireless router and use my existing one instead (I plug my router into one of the ethernet ports on the modem). With the "wireless TV" I assume the STB still has to be co-located with the TV and plugged in directly, right? Any quirks about the whole-home PVR function?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

You quit Rogers and joined Bell. Out of the frying pan, into the fire. Good luck, and enjoy!

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:You quit Rogers and joined Bell.  Out of the frying pan, into the fire.  Good luck, and enjoy!

Hehe. So much for Once Bitten, Twice Shy.  Laugh1 

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I did the same... prepare for problems with your billing. I signed a deal where I got a year free, all services as long as I signed on for an additional year after. As of yet I have not had one bill where it wasn't over 200 dollars.

Good luck my friend, you will need it.

All the same though.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, I know, they are all bad (recall my earlier thread on the subject). General consensus pretty much everywhere (including people who have switched) is that Bell sucks just a little bit less than Rogers. And, no matter what, we all know loyalty is not rewarded, so switching every 2-3 years is best.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Ill say this for Bell... the FIBE options is unreal.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:Ill say this for Bell... the FIBE options is unreal.  

Care to explain? I assume you're talking about FibeTV (Fibe internet is nothing special unless you have fiber to the home). Are you talking about the PVR and all it can do?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

FIBE TV yah... it's amazing. Picture quality, fact you can put it anywhere in your house, just fantastic.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Originally my wife wanted the TV on the ledge above the fireplace, but I could not get anyone to come out and do the wiring. Now I could try it to see if we like it -- would only have to run an extension cord (eventually would have to also run the HDMI cable from the PS3).

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I almost cancelled but retentions gave me a pretty good deal on a NextBox plus 300GB internet. Would have been even better if I went with Teksavvy but I didn't want to deal with the hassle of switching ISP right now since I work from home and I'm sure sure Rogers/Teksavvy would find a way to have me without internet. I needed a higher cap and speed right away(was still on an old 60GB cap and DOCSIS 2.0 modem). That was enough until I got a job working at home and blew through it in a week or so.

I don't really think I need TV service and NextBox isn't really impressive but w/e. I might cancel in a year I'll see. I'm sure they'll find a way to creep their rates up over time like they always do and then I have to cancel to get them to lower to back what it used to be.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The NextBox 2 is a piece of crap.  It simply doesn't have the horsepower to run the new EPG.  Apparently the NextBox 3 (the one with the 8 tuners) is much nicer.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

What's EPG? Program guide? I was at a buddy's place this weekend, and his Rogers program guide was REALLY slow to respond. It was kind of comical.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:What's EPG?  Program guide?  I was at a buddy's place this weekend, and his Rogers program guide was REALLY slow to respond.  It was kind of comical.

Yeah that's the new box. The guide is basically unusable.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The guide is not nearly as bad as the PVR functions.

Anyhow, Rogers called me up asking what it would take to get me back. Someone who spoke English with an understandable accent soul help. Had to keep asking the lady to repeat what she was saying over and over. In the end just told her to email me their best offer. Not holding my breath.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So confused now. Paid my last bill today and noticed that they charged me for two PPV movies on the same day, 4 minutes apart. I'd almost forgotten about that. I tired to rent "Planes" for the girls. Ordered it, tried to watch, screen stayed black. Called their support line, the re-authorized my box, told me to try again, asked me to reboot. Nothing worked until about 40 minutes later (second reboot, I think); they told me they'd credit my account. Well, instead of crediting it, they debited it twice. So I felt the need to call Rogers back. They credited me (for just one of the two charges) plus reverted those "Paper invoicing" fees for the last 3 months (since I tried to go paperless using their online link, and also asked it during my last call).

Anyhow, at the same time I asked what they could offer me if I un-canceled the service. Bottom line, same as I have now a new NextBox-3 on a rent-to-own plan, total monthly cost a little over $178 with taxes. By comparison, the Bell deal is $180 *plus* taxes.

Bell has a better wireless deal $70/month vs. $75, plus they take another $4 off your bundle. Rogers charges $75, but give you 50% off first 3 months, plus she offered another up-front rebate of $50, which she then upped to $85. So, in total, $112.50 + $85 = $197.50, which works out to $8.23/month (where Bell would be $9 -- the $5 lower price to start and $4 off the bundle).

Problem is I had to sign up right then and there and they would mail me the phone (if I'm getting it, I want it today -- wife's birthday and all).

Hell, I've gone this far, I might as well see if Bell will match ($180/month taxes in and better home-phone deal -- Rogers had 500 NA-LD plus some features).

If not, go back to Rogers. As for the phone, I can get it also at Costco on a Fido plan -- I think it's a little less.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum