GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rogers Whole Home PVR

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Rogers Whole Home PVR Empty Rogers Whole Home PVR Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:18 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Yesterday I exchanged my (rental) HD box upstairs. It became nearly unwatchable for the HD channels (snow on the lower half to 2/3 of the screen). The replacement box is a Nextbox (4642). At the same time the good old 8300-HD (rent-free-for-life) has started showing signs of its age. Every once in a while when I switch channels I lose the video, sometimes the audio. Typically I can turn off the tv and turn it on again -- this usually "fixes" the audio. Sometimes the video comes back by switching the channel up, then down again. More recently, though, it got to a point where nothing would bring the video back, not until I unplugged the PVR for about a half hour. I tried changing the HDMI input on my TV, I tried using a different HDMI cable -- before unplugging -- and that didn't help. So I'm pretty sure the trouble is in the PVR's HDMI output.

So, this means that pretty soon I'll have no choice but to swap my 8300HD PVR for a 8642 (Nextbox). I'm pretty sure this means I'll be h/w ready for the WHPVR. I think it still requires a visit from a tech to apply a filter or something.

So, anyone out there "experienced"? I've been following this (the new boxes, new firmware and WHPVR) over on DHC (digitalhome.ca) so I know it hasn't been without problems. But my new 4642 box is likely running the new firmware and I can say for certain that it's not experiencing any slow guide operation like what had been reported earlier. The box is certainly better than the old one and, dare I say it, the picture is better, too.

So, does anyone have the new boxes (especially the 8642 PVR -- I have 1st hand experience already with the 4642)? Anyone get the WHPVR setup? How does it work -- wireless or wired? Did you need a tech visit or can you install it yourself? Does it work as advertized? Any glitches or other problems? Can I watch two recorded shows at the same time? Will I get a 500 GB box or 160 or something in-between (my current box is 160 and it's often not enough; I heard they had problems with the earlier, smaller-disk models and are phasing them out).

2Rogers Whole Home PVR Empty Re: Rogers Whole Home PVR Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:55 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I swapped out my HD boxes at home and now have an 8642 in the main room and a 4642 in our bedroom. Have not done the Whole Home PVR setup yet. That does require a visit by a technician to install filters and "turn it on". It does have a one time setup cost, but if they waive the fee, I'll get it setup.

I have not had any issues with either box yet. The new guide needs a bit of getting used to.

Sounds like you may have S/N ratio issues - check 'em and if they are out of whack, call Rogers.

All of the new 8642's now are 500GB, which is very nice. Tons of space.

But, we're still only limited to two tuners. So, you can record two channels at the same time while watching a pre-recorded show. Would be nice if they upped it to 4 tuners.

My main gripe is that the Rogers TV Call Display no longer works. I do like the quick access to weather via the "D" button, and it is nice to have an HD guide finally.

3Rogers Whole Home PVR Empty Re: Rogers Whole Home PVR Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:56 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Nah, no-way this has anything to do with signal strength (which is fine). It happens when I switch channels and has the distinct signature of HDMI issues. I've been suggested (on DHC) to set the output to fixed (currently I have it set to pass-through). It's true, it seems that the issue is when it's switching the signal type. I've also been warned about the NextBox still having firmware issues. Funny thing is I haven't had any issues with the 4642 upstairs. Other than the IR receiver appears to be not as sensitive (changed batteries on my remote, opened up the glass doors of the stand and still sometimes have trouble -- have to point it directly at the unit or even walk closer).

I wonder if other than the filter, they also have to change the firmware for WHPVR functionality. Maybe the firmware issues are limited to WHPVR?

4Rogers Whole Home PVR Empty Re: Rogers Whole Home PVR Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:07 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I used to have issues on my 8300 when going from SD to HD channels. The audio/video would flicker like the HDMI was not able to get a good connection. A flip back and forth would fix it. I've not had that issue since switching to the 8642 oddly enough. Note: I run all my HDMI connections through my Yammy receiver.

Do note that the 8642 does not have the same set of HDMI choices that the 8300 had, which is a bit frustrating.

Not sure if there is a different set of firmware for the WHPVR, I don't think there is. I think they just set it up so that the two boxes can see each other. If I hit "LIST" on my HD box in the room, I get a prompt that the functionality has not been enabled on this box yet.

5Rogers Whole Home PVR Empty Re: Rogers Whole Home PVR Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:00 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What do you mean about the 8642 not having the same HDMI choices? Are you talking about the output signal (fixed to 1080i, 720p or pass-through) or something else?

Not having the call display would be a small inconvenience, but it would be completely covered (and then some) by the 500 GB drive.

6Rogers Whole Home PVR Empty Re: Rogers Whole Home PVR Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:02 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

P.S. I just noticed last night that SPACE (50 in Ottawa) has been relabeled as SPCHD. Checked out the picture (I think they were running a Eureka marathon) and, while it was not really HD, it was certainly full-screen and a million times better that their old crappy SD. When did this change? I don't remember seeing this mentioned on DHC. How could I have missed it?

7Rogers Whole Home PVR Empty Re: Rogers Whole Home PVR Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:12 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Apparently it was added July 12. I guess I've been really busy at work. So when the new season of Dr. Who finally airs on Space (who knows when) we'll be able to watch it in HD and not resort to downloading. Cool.

Now, will we see AMC-HD anytime soon? Walking Dead S3 starts up in October.

8Rogers Whole Home PVR Empty Re: Rogers Whole Home PVR Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:54 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:What do you mean about the 8642 not having the same HDMI choices? Are you talking about the output signal (fixed to 1080i, 720p or pass-through) or something else?
Yeah, there's no more upconvert-1, upconvert-2, straight through etc... this is all covered in the DHC thread.

wprager wrote:Not having the call display would be a small inconvenience, but it would be completely covered (and then some) by the 500 GB drive.
I dunno. I really miss it. We used it a lot, especially the "Send to voice mail" feature. Loved that.

9Rogers Whole Home PVR Empty Re: Rogers Whole Home PVR Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:36 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

You know, I love my new tv but one thing I really notice is how horrible the speakers are. I'm not an audiophile, obviously, but even I notice the difference. The old TV as a mammoth RP-CRT, so it had room for decent-sized speakers. This one is less than an inch thick, and the speakers are quite poor. Need to get me a soundbar.

10Rogers Whole Home PVR Empty Re: Rogers Whole Home PVR Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:31 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:You know, I love my new tv but one thing I really notice is how horrible the speakers are. I'm not an audiophile, obviously, but even I notice the difference. The old TV as a mammoth RP-CRT, so it had room for decent-sized speakers. This one is less than an inch thick, and the speakers are quite poor. Need to get me a soundbar.
You use the speakers in your TV? My god man... how do you live? No surround sound? That's like... stone age...

Wink

Get yourself a receiver and a sweet 7.1 setup.

11Rogers Whole Home PVR Empty Re: Rogers Whole Home PVR Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:43 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

We don't have surround sound either... too small of a room, and wasn't pre-wired, so we don't want wires hanging around.

So we bought the Vizio sound bar from Costco ($100). Works fine for when you want that extra sound.

12Rogers Whole Home PVR Empty Re: Rogers Whole Home PVR Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, those sound bar things are good options if you are not able to bury your cables or want to have cables running all over the place.

13Rogers Whole Home PVR Empty Re: Rogers Whole Home PVR Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:03 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I have my TV hooked up to a Harman Kardon amp and PSB speakers... from the 80s!!! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

14Rogers Whole Home PVR Empty Re: Rogers Whole Home PVR Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:09 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:You know, I love my new tv but one thing I really notice is how horrible the speakers are. I'm not an audiophile, obviously, but even I notice the difference. The old TV as a mammoth RP-CRT, so it had room for decent-sized speakers. This one is less than an inch thick, and the speakers are quite poor. Need to get me a soundbar.
You use the speakers in your TV? My god man... how do you live? No surround sound? That's like... stone age...

Wink

Get yourself a receiver and a sweet 7.1 setup.

I've got two ears. There is physiologically no need for more than 2 speakers. The rest is acoustic shenanigans.

Anyhow, in order to get a receiver I'd need to spend money and time (researching). Money I could probably come up with (although the WAF would be low and would need some work), but the time, forget it. Also the space. I've got a decent stereo system (5.1 without the .1) that's been sitting in storage since the first one started to crawl -- the rear speakers came with these massive metal stands that would come crashing down if you pulled down on the speaker wire. Trouble is, right now there wouldn't be room for it (and by "room for it" I mean the WAF is simply not there for big front speakers).

So a stereo bar and a wireless sub is my solution. The simulated surround will have to do. Wouldn't mind getting one of those that come with a set-up CD that it uses to "tune" itself to your room's acoustics, but I haven't seen those in my price range. I've got my eyes on this LG model that is blue-tooth enabled. I could play music directly from the iPod or BB. That would be kinda cool. Just waiting for Dell.ca to have it on sale.

15Rogers Whole Home PVR Empty Re: Rogers Whole Home PVR Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:19 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yamaha has a pretty good one in the YAS-101. Not too pricey.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater-system-reviews/yamaha-yas-101-review/

http://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hometheater-systems/front-virtual-surround-systems/yas-101_black_w/?mode=model

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum