GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

House Cleaning in Ottawa? NEW and IMPROVED

+7
Sens4thecup
TheAvatar
Cronie
PTFlea
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
SeawaySensFan
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 7]

TheAvatar

Veteran
Veteran

cash wrote:This Captain made the single greatest mistake in franchise history at the end of the 2nd period in game 4 of the SCF. He spent all of game 5 trying to make up for it.
This Captain has never truly shown the ability to lead, nor the judgment necessary to be considered a true leader:
-We have not experienced any of the success necessary to accurately and reasonably compare him to Sakic or Yzerman.
-LMFAO @ your Brind'Amour reference because his timeline as Captain is identical to Modano's without being stripped.
-Iginla is a far more reasonable comparison, given the fact that he too has won nothing.
This Captain IS 35 years old, but has NOT been this teams best player on most nights this season, as you claim. He truly, truly has not...
His decision making has been suspect, his turnovers have increased tenfold, his point-production is down, his team is in the crapper: His leadership abilities are in question; and rightly so.

Hogwash! I can't believe we're back to the "throw alfie off the train talk". It's unbelievable.

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

TheAvatar wrote:
cash wrote:This Captain made the single greatest mistake in franchise history at the end of the 2nd period in game 4 of the SCF. He spent all of game 5 trying to make up for it.
This Captain has never truly shown the ability to lead, nor the judgment necessary to be considered a true leader:
-We have not experienced any of the success necessary to accurately and reasonably compare him to Sakic or Yzerman.
-LMFAO @ your Brind'Amour reference because his timeline as Captain is identical to Modano's without being stripped.
-Iginla is a far more reasonable comparison, given the fact that he too has won nothing.
This Captain IS 35 years old, but has NOT been this teams best player on most nights this season, as you claim. He truly, truly has not...
His decision making has been suspect, his turnovers have increased tenfold, his point-production is down, his team is in the crapper: His leadership abilities are in question; and rightly so.

Hogwash! I can't believe we're back to the "throw alfie off the train talk". It's unbelievable.

Thank you. Well said Avatar. Alfie is one player that should be held to task, per se, but to throw him under the bus when he is ONE man on a team chalk-full of underachieving, money-counters?!?! C'mon!!

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

When the entire team slides, the captain is the first to take heat. He's trying a little too hard and he's coughing up the puck.

Stripping him of the C? Really? For whom?

No way, Alfie is captain until the day he retires and becomes our GM.

Now, stripping Phillips and Heatley of the As might be a step in the right direction. Lord knows the new coach will probably do that first thing.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Also, the good thing about a new GM, especially if it's a HOFer like Yzerman, is he might have some luck moving Phillips and Fisher (the untradeable contracts I think he'd find out though).

A little tete-a-tete with Yzerman might do it.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

504Heater wrote:Also, the good thing about a new GM, especially if it's a HOFer like Yzerman, is he might have some luck moving Phillips and Fisher (the untradeable contracts I think he'd find out though).

Kinda like Scotty Bowman was going to find a way to move Khabibulin out of Chicago just because he's Scotty Bowman.

Let's not get carried away.

Cronenbergfan wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:

Thank you. Well said Avatar. Alfie is one player that should be held to task, per se, but to throw him under the bus when he is ONE man on a team chalk-full of underachieving, money-counters?!?! C'mon!!
I'm not trying to throw him under the bus. He is clearly a prolific forward who has done many great things for this team, but there is a limit to the success he's had here and his performance should be described accurately.
I'm not necessarily a proponent of trading Alfredsson, nor of stripping him of the C. I'm merely arguing the overvaluing of the player/leader.
He deserves to be respected and appreciated, but he also deserves to be judged fairly and by the same standards as any other player. If you wish to praise him, do so in a reasonable way, but hold him accountable for his missteps - of which there have been many this season; more so than in years past.

504Heater wrote:No way, Alfie is captain until the day he retires and becomes our GM.
I knows its only meant in a half-hearted way, but that would really seem like a bad idea. Some people have that future GM style and personality - Imo Alfredsson isn't one of those people.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

this whole "McKenzie said" is not picking up any steam whatsover. Kinda like those Boumeester to Ottawa rumours...

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Number Twenty Nine wrote:this whole "McKenzie said" is not picking up any steam whatsover. Kinda like those Boumeester to Ottawa rumours...

You can hear him for yourself on the Senators pre-game tomorrow. Then you can listen to Goodie Wilson talk about how everything is going to be aaaaaaaaalright.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Number Twenty Nine wrote:this whole "McKenzie said" is not picking up any steam whatsover. Kinda like those Boumeester to Ottawa rumours...

McKenzie never said that one though. We'll see...there's something brewing, it can't really stand like this all year.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
504Heater wrote:Also, the good thing about a new GM, especially if it's a HOFer like Yzerman, is he might have some luck moving Phillips and Fisher (the untradeable contracts I think he'd find out though).

Kinda like Scotty Bowman was going to find a way to move Khabibulin out of Chicago just because he's Scotty Bowman.

Actually, I don't think they don't want him gone anymore. He's been their best goalie so far this year IMO.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Fine...I'll do it. I need a crowbar and Phillips will need some very hard liquor to get through it, but I'll convince him.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Love the idea of Quinn, love the idea of Yzerman, but this is absolutely horrible timing. This move should either have been done at the start of this season or the start of next season.

Right now, our incompetence is necessary for the rebuilding process. There is no hope of making the playoffs (we can afford to lose 11 games) so the worse we are, the better.

Quinn would hold players more accountable and improve this hockey team. He'd be a great guy to bring in, but we should be looking to improve the current team as little as possible IMO.

Also, Alfredsson is captain. Period. 8)

I agree with that ^ but you know Eugene doesn't...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:Love the idea of Quinn, love the idea of Yzerman, but this is absolutely horrible timing. This move should either have been done at the start of this season or the start of next season.

Right now, our incompetence is necessary for the rebuilding process. There is no hope of making the playoffs (we can afford to lose 11 games) so the worse we are, the better.

Quinn would hold players more accountable and improve this hockey team. He'd be a great guy to bring in, but we should be looking to improve the current team as little as possible IMO.

Also, Alfredsson is captain. Period. 8)

Yeah, the timing is something I don't get either. 2 games into the roadtrip might have been the time.

I see you didn't like Ek's latest BS about Spezza for Horcoff.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

If that happens, Murray is toast for sure.....

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

cash wrote:I agree with that ^ but you know Eugene doesn't...

I am not so convinced that he is so short-sighted.
He was able to guide a shell of a pharma company into a billion-dollar empire; that takes the ability to look beyond the "now".
Whether Melnyk pulls that trigger or not, it will be based on his long-term vision, not on winning now. I'd suspect Murray survives (barely).

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I have to agree with that comment on Melnyk. I can't see him being that short-sighted either. He has plenty of money from the WJC to help get him through a lean year or 2 at the box office. Make some exciting moves in the off season in order to entice the fans back. Lets also not forget the money rolling in from the 3rd Jersey this season as well. Melnyk will be fine.

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum