GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who would you pick first overall in 2009?

+7
SensGirl11
towelie112
Riprock
smash88
mattshock
PTFlea
Acrobat
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who would you pick first overall in 2009?

Who would you pick first overall in 2009? - Page 2 Vote_lcap223%Who would you pick first overall in 2009? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 23% [ 5 ]
Who would you pick first overall in 2009? - Page 2 Vote_lcap273%Who would you pick first overall in 2009? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 73% [ 16 ]
Who would you pick first overall in 2009? - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Who would you pick first overall in 2009? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Who would you pick first overall in 2009? - Page 2 Vote_lcap24%Who would you pick first overall in 2009? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 4% [ 1 ]
Who would you pick first overall in 2009? - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Who would you pick first overall in 2009? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 22

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:I don't know much about any of these guys, but from what I've heard, I'd totally go with Hedman, no doubt. This guy could be the next coming of a Pronger/Chara/Phaneuf type of D. Maybe with a little splash of Lidstrom? Could you imagine Tavares was the next Daigle? I would have to laugh at the team that picked him up. They may want to study this guy and study him hard.

Me too, but good lord is there enough pressure on Hedman already? Lidstrom, Pronger, Chara a mix...better be good sonny.

Acrobat

Veteran
Veteran

I think the other thing to consider is that from Ottawa's perspective, we are doing fine with first line centres (sort of). Even second/third line centres are workable. But our D has nothing offensive, and really, beyond our shut-down pairing, we are quite thin.

This alone makes Hedman the favourite, by a mile.

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

Hedman, but I really, really, really like MSP's game. There are a few highlights of him on youtube but they don't fully do him justice.

This kid is going to be an absolute stud.

EDIT: Here's a demonstration. Tell me he doesn't look like Forsberg setting up Sakic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAjHgdje_8c

Here are some other nice highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxBQGZ3uYbY&feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUFYCZUIJx0&feature=related

Last edited by asq2 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

asq2 wrote:Hedman, but I really, really, really like MSP's game. There are a few highlights of him on youtube but they don't fully do him justice.

At this rate we might just get MSP... Crying

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Tukker wrote:
asq2 wrote:Hedman, but I really, really, really like MSP's game. There are a few highlights of him on youtube but they don't fully do him justice.

At this rate we might just get MSP... Crying

I added some highlights to my post, believe me when I tell you that would not be a bad thing.

Add either Hedman or MSP and I'm as happy as a pig in ****.

Sweden just keeps producing these great players. I thought they would decline after winning the gold in 2006 but Hedman, MSP, Nik Backstrom, Karlsson etc. look like they're going to prove me wrong.

EDIT: Anton Lander is another name to remember.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

That's for the Swede update!

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hey asq2,

I like the shortened version of your name dude. Also, since he's your avatar - How is our boy Erik Karlsson doing? How far is he from the NHL? I had the impression he was going to be in Europe this season, Bingo next season + the odd callup to the big club and then crack the lineup in 2010/11. I'm I right or could we see him as a regular even sooner? How soon?

- Unknown Author

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Hey asq2,

I like the shortened version of your name dude. Also, since he's your avatar - How is our boy Erik Karlsson doing? How far is he from the NHL? I had the impression he was going to be in Europe this season, Bingo next season + the odd callup to the big club and then crack the lineup in 2010/11. I'm I right or could we see him as a regular even sooner? How soon?

He's been pretty good. He was expected to be a 6th or 7th defenceman while QBing the powerplay but actually has played some games as a top-pairing defenceman.

How soon he enters the NHL depends on how much he can bulk up. That's really the only thing stopping him right now. I'd bet on it sooner rather than later because the team could use his right-handed puck-moving and also because he definitely seems like he has the attitude to succeed.

I might be wrong, but I believe he'll be on Sweden's roster for the Juniors in which case we'll get a chance to see him showcase his skills, as he will probably be on the top pairing with Hedman (Lidstrom and Rafalski v 2.0).

As for going into the AHL, I'm on the fence. On the one hand, it would be nice to have him spend a year getting accustomed to the NHL sized rinks. On the other hand, I think he faces much better quality opposition in the Elitserien.

I don't think he'll make the team outright next year though. I wouldn't want to rush him either. In my opinion, this is the best prospect in terms of potential we've had on our hands since Spezza.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

The standard statement would be to select the best player available in a desired position.

If you ask most people around the OHL the answer is Tavares. Likely in Sweden and perhaps IIHF officials would tell you Hedman, then M-S-P, who I had no recollection of.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

DashRiprock wrote:The standard statement would be to select the best player available in a desired position.

If you ask most people around the OHL the answer is Tavares. Likely in Sweden and perhaps IIHF officials would tell you Hedman, then M-S-P, who I had no recollection of.

I think MSP is the third best player in the draft (or perhaps second) but North American bias will probably have Cowen and one of Duchene or Schenn selected ahead of him.

I still take the best player available, regardless of position. Unless you're the Islanders. Then you need Tavares just for the fan-base's sake.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cherry says Tavares, so who am I to argue? I'd like to see more North American players (or at least those playing in North American minor leagues) selected first. Weird, since I'm so much more an Ovechkin fan than I am a Crosby fan. Maybe that's why. Maybe I want someone else to challenge for The Next One.

wprager wrote:Cherry says Tavares, so who am I to argue? I'd like to see more North American players (or at least those playing in North American minor leagues) selected first. Weird, since I'm so much more an Ovechkin fan than I am a Crosby fan. Maybe that's why. Maybe I want someone else to challenge for The Next One.
tavares wont be the next great one

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Tavares is quickly becoming a risk/reward type of pick rather than the runaway 1st we thought he would be.

The guy could be anything from the next Gretzky to the next Daigle, depending on who you talk to...

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

mattshock wrote:Tavares is quickly becoming a risk/reward type of pick rather than the runaway 1st we thought he would be.

The guy could be anything from the next Gretzky to the next Daigle, depending on who you talk to...

I don't think he'll be the next Daigle. I think it's much harder to let someone with terrible work ethic or no love for the game slip through the cracks when there's that much scrutiny on them.

Tavares doesn't dominate with his speed (unlike Daigle) but with his play-making ability and nose for the net. He reminds me of a centre version of Heatley. I think he has a good chance of being an 80 to 90 point forward in the NHL, and I can't see him being a major disappointment.

That having been said, I believe that Hedman should be considered the clearcut number one.

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

I'd be more afraid of him being like Spezza - "almost a super-superstar, but definitely an elite player" while I'm comfortable that Hedman will be the "super-superstar" - the next Pronger or more - so I still have to go with him.

Either way, you won't lose, but the upside seems to be more of a sure thing with Hedman.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

That's what I'm thinking. Tavares almost has "risk-reward" written all over him, but Hedman just have to lace 'em up and move around a bit to be effective.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I've heard Paajarvi is a Finnish Crosby...or something to that effect.

PKC wrote:I've heard Paajarvi is a Finnish Crosby...or something to that effect.

I thought he was a Swede? A mutt perhaps?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum