GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+8
PTFlea
Hockeyhero22000
wprager
tim1_2
DefenceWinsChampionships
Flo The Action
Ev
Lagoon
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 66 of 67]

Lagoon

Veteran
Veteran

Simon signs in Calgary. There goes that dream 5 hours after I mentioned him for the 20th time.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Yeah that's a nice deal for Brown.  Hopefully they can make a trade for a good centre...there are zero available via free agency....unless we wanted to land a guy like Derick Brassard again.

you don't like Athanasiou?

There's a reason he hasn't stuck anywhere.

what? he's been in Detroit his entire career until he got traded to EDM. if 9 game played in Edmonton is your "anywhere"...

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:And I don't mind resting our long-term centre hopes on Stueztle and Norris...but there's risk there since neither have proven anything yet in the NHL.  Bringing in someone to help bridge the gap here would be nice.

Agreed. I never considered someone like Jonathan Toews but man would he ever be such a good fit here. Huge cap hit, declining salary, three years left, and would be such a calming presence and mentor for an otherwise super young team. Understanding he's well past his prime, you could start him 1C this year and drop him down the lineup as someone else emerges.

If Chicago's intentions are to 'rebuild' then moving the cap hit has got to be priority #1, with priority #2 being a good goalie prospect and a few other pieces. He has a NMC which would probably be the biggest barrier, but I don't think it would take much more than Tierney, Wolanin, Hogberg/Gustavsson, and one of our three 2nd rd picks in next year's draft.

oh i think it takes a lot more than that to land Toews. they'll be looking for a 1st rounder, a good young top 6/top 4 NHLer (better than Tierney), and a really good prospect.

the only thing we'd have is Cap space which they aren't in need of clearing.

He's got an NMC but I'm not sure if that includes a movement out of Chicago or just out of the NHL.

I also don't think it's the right move for us. he's the type of guy that puts you over the top in 3 years but in 3 years from now, he'll be 35 and on the decline.

in my opinion, a contender will make an offer with the right assets but also get Chicago to take on a cap space asset to give them the room to take him on.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

RW is set next year in Dadonov, Batherson, Brown and Watson. And defense is done, unfortunately.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Yeah that's a nice deal for Brown.  Hopefully they can make a trade for a good centre...there are zero available via free agency....unless we wanted to land a guy like Derick Brassard again.

you don't like Athanasiou?

There's a reason he hasn't stuck anywhere.

what? he's been in Detroit his entire career until he got traded to EDM. if 9 game played in Edmonton is your "anywhere"...

Whoops, my mistake, I thought he was somewhere else before Detroit. His -45 in 46 games for Detroit last season is quite the stat....although Detroit was obviously awful, so it makes some sense.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

While the weird dream of having Jonathan Toews is interesting to think about, nobody can make a case that this is a thing that could actually happen in our current reality.

His actual salary is $7M through to 22/23, AND he has a NMC. No chance on earth he waives to come here.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:While the weird dream of having Jonathan Toews is interesting to think about, nobody can make a case that this is a thing that could actually happen in our current reality.

His actual salary is $7M through to 22/23, AND he has a NMC.  No chance on earth he waives to come here.

For sure. It's a dream. But $7M on a team like Ottawa if it means giving up Tierney (~ $4M) and a few other pieces isn't a huge difference. Either way he's the type of center this team needs.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:While the weird dream of having Jonathan Toews is interesting to think about, nobody can make a case that this is a thing that could actually happen in our current reality.

His actual salary is $7M through to 22/23, AND he has a NMC.  No chance on earth he waives to come here.

For sure. It's a dream. But $7M on a team like Ottawa if it means giving up Tierney (~ $4M) and a few other pieces isn't a huge difference. Either way he's the type of center this team needs.

NMC confuse me. for some players, it means not being moved out of the NHL to another league, to other players it means not being moved at all from their team? seems curious to me.

here we go.
"
– An NMC prohibits a team from moving a player by trade, loan or waivers, or assigning that player to the minors without the player's consent. This keeps the player with the pro team unless that player permits a move by one of these means."

That's a clause where he doesn't leave unless he wants to. Total control.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Good short deal for Tierney, two years $3.5M

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Who is he? Is he good?

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Is he a C? Do we need another C or are we good now?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Don’t need a C long term but could use a short term upgrade

Tierney won’t be here in two years

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

good value deal. Easily tradable. could be used to help a team that needs a cheap guy to fil the 2-3C gap while trading us salary and an upgrade on C.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:good value deal. Easily tradable. could be used to help a team that needs a cheap guy to fil the 2-3C gap while trading us salary and an upgrade on C.

He might be taken by Seattle next year

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

it's a good deal. no one on our roster is ready for 1C minutes and at least with Tierney you're not going to destroy a top-end prospect's confidence playing against other team's top lines every night.

Lagoon

Lagoon
Veteran
Veteran

Thank you all.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah the Tierney signing is fine given that it's only 2 years. So based on what we've done so far, I guess the plan is still to tank next season.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

With the expansion draft happening next summer (in theory), do all the Sens coming off their ELCs get automatic protection, or because their deals expire next summer, they need to be protected? This impacts Tkachuk, Batherson, Logan Brown, and Wolanin.

Answered my own question with Capfriendly's expansion draft tool:

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle

The Sens will have to protect all those guys.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 66 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum