GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm

+5
Ev
Cap'n Clutch
spader
tim1_2
wprager
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

31ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm - Page 3 Empty Re: ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm Mon May 15, 2017 11:59 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Agreed. Sens have home ice advantage now and can get the favorable matchups. They definitely can't afford to sit back in the third, like they did tonight, almost hoping to just get to OT though.  This Pens team is very beatable.

32ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm - Page 3 Empty Re: ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm Tue May 16, 2017 3:57 am

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Agreed. Sens have home ice advantage now and can get the favorable matchups. They definitely can't afford to sit back in the third, like they did tonight, almost hoping to just get to OT though.  This Pens team is very beatable.
I think they are very beatable too but I think this team is is still playing to avoid mistakes more than creating enough chances or on the PP trying for the perfect play

33ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm - Page 3 Empty Re: ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm Tue May 16, 2017 7:54 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I would agree with you but, only regarding the game last night and mostly regarding the 3rd period. If they come out like that at home you might have reason to be concerned. I don't see it though.

34ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm - Page 3 Empty Re: ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm Tue May 16, 2017 8:24 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

They now have three of their top four D-men out. They showed Daley skating and he did not close to being ready. If he plays on Wednesday (as I suspect he may have to) he will not be very effective. That's 3 of their top 4 either out or playing hurt. Sens need to take advantage of that.

Rust is likely gone, too. He has given us problems in the past.

Still think we need to be way more physical on Malkin and Kessel. Lay off Crosby unless you line him up for a career-ending hit, because he likes it when it gets rough. But Malkin and Kessel like pond hockey, and they well take retaliatory penalties of you hit them.

What Phaneuf did we need from others. Claesson is not a small guy, he needs to step up once on a while. Or if Boro is ready, put him in.

They held the Mighty Penguins to 2 goals in two home games. One was a lucky deflection by Malkin (lucky because he had his back to the net, had no idea where it was going and hit a slit just wife enough for the puck), the other was a blocked shot that landed right on Kessel's stick instead of going wide, with Andy down on the expected first shot.

Don't get me wrong, the Pens deserved to win last night, it was only a matter of time the way the Sens were playing. But it was still only two lucky plays in two home games with favorable reffingin game 1.

Sens should be nice and fresh for game 3 since they didn't exert themselves very much last night.

35ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm - Page 3 Empty Re: ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm Tue May 16, 2017 8:30 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hey, at least they did not take as many penalties. That tripping call on Karlsson when he lost an edge was weak. Hoffman on Schultz I'm still not sure what happened. He did push him and Schultz went down, but he did not appear to budge from the push itself. Looked like he either caught a rut or lost his edge. Still, that could have easily been a penalty. But Malkin had his stick in Stone's armpit on that great close in chance. That was a sure goal that was taken away. Awful non call. Also what's with all the late hits? Finishing the check when you have to take even just one mode stride after the puck is gone is not allowed.

36ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm - Page 3 Empty Re: ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm Tue May 16, 2017 9:10 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ottawa's doing a great job in limiting Crosby/Malkin/Kessel...last night easily could of gone our way with a bounce or two. That said, they obviously need to find a way to generate a bit more offensively, and I imagine they'll have a bit of extra jump at home for game 3. Nice to see Phaneuf smoke a couple guys last night. Hopefully someone gets the chance to lay out Crosby or Kessel soon.

It should be a long, tight series, so there's no surprises if the Pens edge out a couple games.

37ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm - Page 3 Empty Re: ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm Tue May 16, 2017 9:26 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Not sure what they were doing in the third last night.   Otherwise pretty solid road performance.  A war of attrition starts now with the Pens losing big players.

38ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm - Page 3 Empty Re: ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm Tue May 16, 2017 9:32 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah. The Sens played a solid game up until the 3rd when it felt like they were just holding on and hoping something good would happen while spending a lot of time hemmed into their own zone. No shots for most of the period? They seemed to figure it out once they got scored on though. It was just a case of too little too late. I agree with the sentiment that they need to attack this weak D and exploit the fact that the Pens don't have the ability to move the puck well from the back end. Also, as was pointed out on the broadcast, Kessel gives up when battling and when things get tough, keep on him, frustrate him and keep that going all game.

- Unknown Author

39ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm - Page 3 Empty Re: ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm Tue May 16, 2017 12:33 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I have full confidence in Guy and the coaches to make whatever adjustments they think they need to in order to generate a bit more offensively. Let's do it.

40ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm - Page 3 Empty Re: ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm Tue May 16, 2017 3:51 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Pens are trapping us in our zone, Karlsson,  Ceci and Wideman need to skate the puck out and make the Pens back off.  That'll be a good start.

41ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm - Page 3 Empty Re: ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm Tue May 16, 2017 4:42 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:The Pens are trapping us in our zone, Karlsson,  Ceci and Wideman need to skate the puck out and make the Pens back off.  That'll be a good start.
I'm not sure it's a question of trapping us in our zone so much as us not applying enough pressure in their zone. Too many times I'm seeing a couple of forwards alone in their zone without it being a line change. Too much dump and chase right now too. Loosing opportunities to create something because we don't maintain possession.
Maybe a practice or two could be useful to adjust the game plan. Generally I like rest Boucher has given his team but we might need to work on those offensive Zone entries

42ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm - Page 3 Empty Re: ECFGDT#2: Sens @ Pens, May 15, 8:00 pm Tue May 16, 2017 6:16 pm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

The dump and chase with the 3rd forward high is to prevent the Pens from using their speed and to avoid odd man rushes.  Sens just need to change the forecheck a little to force the D man to his backhand.  The Pens made an adjustment to send a forward back deep on our dump ins to have a 3 on 2 advantage.   The Sens high forward could "shadow" the Pens forward who goes deep in his own end for puck retrieval.  This would force their depleted D to cough up the puck a lot.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum