GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GDT - Game #58: Sens @ Devils, Feb 21, 2017, 7:00pm

+4
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

You know what does hurt? That cross-check he laid right across Hall's ribs. I always used to hate how he got away with that when playing for the Leafs. I've come to terms with that now and am actually enjoying it.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I think expecting Dion to be "the guy", "the number 1 D-man", was a bit too much in any case. He's well suited to the spot he's playing. Overpaid but so far we have guys that are underpaid. Hopefully the cap goes up a bit in a few years.

Overpaid?  Why, if he was a UFA what do you think teams would pay for him?

If Dion was currently a UFA, he wouldn't be getting $7M, but he'd still get a hefty sum.  I think he's being overpaid by $1.5M to $2M per year, and that hurts a little bit, but it's not like that's ruining Ottawa's budget or cap position.
Yeah that's about right. Probably get between 5 and 5.5 on a multi year deal.

As much as there was a lot of negative criticism against Dion when he was acquired regarding whether he would be a good player for us down the stretch, I don't see why he couldn't be an effective top 4 Dman till the last year of his deal. If we're lucky chabot will be the go to guy on that pairing in a few years and Dion will shut down the rear.
There's a case to be made for chabot winding up on the first pairing but I'd like to spread out the talent.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I think expecting Dion to be "the guy", "the number 1 D-man", was a bit too much in any case. He's well suited to the spot he's playing. Overpaid but so far we have guys that are underpaid. Hopefully the cap goes up a bit in a few years.

If Dion was currently a UFA, he wouldn't be getting $7M, but he'd still get a hefty sum.  I think he's being overpaid by $1.5M to $2M per year, and that hurts a little bit, but it's not like that's ruining Ottawa's budget or cap position.

You know what doesn't hurt? The 26 points he has so far.

Darn tootin'. It's funny now listening to Leaf fans whine about needing a solid defenceman, when they traded they traded away the one they had. Now, I still think it was smart of the Leafs to deal Phaneuf, but we got a perfectly good middle pairing d-man for almost nothing, other than an extra $1.5M or whatever per year....not too shabby at all.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Day Two without a Sens game. I don't know how much longer I can last.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Day Two without a Sens game.  I don't know how much longer I can last.

This should keep us going for now:

http://www.gmhockey.com/t6471p165-ottawa-senators-trade-deadline-edition#431919

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

Darn tootin'.  It's funny now listening to Leaf fans whine about needing a solid defenceman, when they traded they traded away the one they had.  Now, I still think it was smart of the Leafs to deal Phaneuf, but we got a perfectly good middle pairing d-man for almost nothing, other than an extra $1.5M or whatever per year....not too shabby at all.

I really think they lost their minds trading Dion for nothing like they did. These guys don't grow on trees, not a 20+ minute, tough minute eating, decent point producing, club leading pain in the arse like Phaneuf. So he's 1 million overpaid, if they think that'll be the difference between signing Matthews/Marner etc. and not, then their (former) management should be even more embarrassed than they already are.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

Darn tootin'.  It's funny now listening to Leaf fans whine about needing a solid defenceman, when they traded they traded away the one they had.  Now, I still think it was smart of the Leafs to deal Phaneuf, but we got a perfectly good middle pairing d-man for almost nothing, other than an extra $1.5M or whatever per year....not too shabby at all.

I really think they lost their minds trading Dion for nothing like they did.  These guys don't grow on trees, not a 20+ minute, tough minute eating, decent point producing, club leading pain in the arse like Phaneuf.  So he's 1 million overpaid, if they think that'll be the difference between signing Matthews/Marner etc. and not, then their (former) management should be even more embarrassed than they already are.
For nothing? A 2nd rounder and Lindbergh isn't exactly for nothing either.

I pity Lindbergh as he was close to getting a chance at the roster in Ottawa but he's so far down the depth chart for the marlies and they have so much youth... who knows if he'll ever get a shot.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
PTFlea wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
PTFlea wrote:

I really think they lost their minds trading Dion for nothing like they did.  These guys don't grow on trees, not a 20+ minute, tough minute eating, decent point producing, club leading pain in the arse like Phaneuf.  So he's 1 million overpaid, if they think that'll be the difference between signing Matthews/Marner etc. and not, then their (former) management should be even more embarrassed than they already are.
For nothing? A 2nd rounder and Lindbergh isn't exactly for nothing either.

I pity Lindbergh as he was close to getting a chance at the roster in Ottawa but he's so far down the depth chart for the marlies and they have so much youth... who knows if he'll ever get a shot.

I liked Lindberg from the minute I saw him in pre-season, but he's a B prospect, akin to Perron and guys like that. A 2nd and a B prospect is a tiny price to pay for a guy like Dion. It's almost unimaginable. Plus we dumped absolute trash on the Leafs to boot. Cowen (bought out), Greening (in the AHL making 2.65 and should be Old Yellered), Michalek was in the AHL, but got injured I think. Absolute robbery. It happens to us so much, it's nice when the shoe's on the other foot. Laugh1

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Don't forget also the salary dumps (Cowen, Greening and Michael). Also, didn't the Leafs recently make a trade for a waiver pickup because they didn't have contact space just to take him on the wire? Ben if Lindberg is too far down their depth chart to get a chance, he's still taking up a contact spot.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum