GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL Expansion Draft - 2017

+8
wprager
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
spader
Ev
ddt
Flo The Action
SensHulk
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

46NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:53 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:Obviously it was one player per team. The only way to keep it fair

Well it was obvious to some of us but you scroll up and you see people asking if it had been confirmed.

47NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:16 pm

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

Well it was obvious to some of us but you scroll up and you see people asking if it had been confirmed.
the question was never about more than one player per team but more about the fact would be drafting from teams a total of 30 players. technically 7 of those players will wind up playing in the AHL somewhere. it changes what type of players you chose for those 7 spot. it could prove a surprise to some teams.

48NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:30 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:

the question was never about more than one player per team but more about the fact would be drafting from teams a total of 30 players. technically 7 of those players will wind up playing in the AHL somewhere. it changes what type of players you chose for those 7 spot. it could prove a surprise to some teams.

They will likely be traded. Most players who will get drafted won't be waiver exempt to go to the ahl.

49NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:11 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:

That was my interpretation of this:

spader wrote:I'm not certain that they are required to select one from each team. Anyone have confirmation on that?

As I've already said earlier, 30 players in the Expansion Draft, another 7 in the Entry Draft, plus free agents to make up the 50 pro contracts to divvy up between NHL/AHL/Euro rosters. So they don't necessarily need to make sure 7 are AHLers. They just take the BPA across all positions required.

50NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu May 11, 2017 1:12 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I believe this is the most current thread on the expansion draft. Last post was 22 June 2016. Curious to see how people's opinions have changes this past year, especially after this playoff.

So, if you were the Sens, who do you protect and why.

51NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu May 11, 2017 1:28 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Comes down to who is #1 on this list:

Methot, Ryan, Smith, Brassard

I would choose Methot, so here is my list:

D: Methot, Ceci, EK, Phaneuf
F: Turris, Pageau, Stone, Hoffman

Most likely scenario for Ottawa is to go 7-3-1 and make a deal with LV to not take their 4th D.

52NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu May 11, 2017 1:55 pm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Brassard Turris Smith Pageau Hoffman Stone Dzingel
Ceci Karlsson Phaneuf
Anderson

I keep Dzingel for his speed.

53NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu May 11, 2017 2:35 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Brassard, turris, Pageau, Hoffman, stone, smith, and then I'm split between Dzingel and MacArthur (yeah, I know, but he's playing healthy and he'd be a great pick up for Vegas).
Karlsson, Phaneuf, Ceci(if they don't trade him before the draft and protect methot instead)
Anderson

Probably leaves either wideman, methot or Dzingel claimed.

54NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu May 11, 2017 3:32 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Brassard Turris Smith Pageau Hoffman Stone MacArthur
Methot or Ceci (don't care) Karlsson Phaneuf
Anderson

55NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu May 11, 2017 11:27 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

They'd trade Ceci before they exposed him, IMO. Could legitimately see it happening.

56NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Fri May 12, 2017 9:25 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I have seen quite a few people making the case to protect 4x4x1:

F: Pageau, Stone, Hoffman, Turris
D: Ceci, Methot, Karlsson, Phaneuf
G: Anderson

I think the hardest decision will be whether or not to leave Ryan unprotected. Honestly, the guy had a brutal year on a personal level, which I am sure is carrying into his game. The Sens also play a defensive system so it's no shock to see everyone's scoring numbers down. I'm in the camp to protect him. If he can play like this in the regular season and we have a healthy MacArthur we can make some noise for another couple of years.

F: Pageau, Stone, Turris, Hoffman, Brassard, Ryan, MacArthur
D: Methot, Phaneuf, Karlsson
G: Anderson

I hope Vegas takes Smith and we trade Ceci. We can fill both of these spots internally.

57NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Fri May 12, 2017 11:08 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Brassard is better than Pageau, so meg

58NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Mon May 15, 2017 12:44 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't see a scenario where Ryan isn't protected

59NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Mon May 15, 2017 1:51 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Read his latest Player's Tribute piece. Talks a lot about how Boucher wanted him to play a very different role from the one he is used to.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/bobby-ryan-senators-playoffs-why-not-us/

Before training camp started last September, I sat down with Coach Boucher and for about two hours we talked hockey. Some of it was specific to our team, but much of it was a broader discussion about hockey philosophy. What makes a good team tick? What causes a talented roster to fail? How do you construct a consistently good power play?

He told me that if our team was going to succeed, we needed reliable “net guys.” For his system to work, he needed players who could do the dirty work in front of the goalie and behind the net in order to set up chances. I agreed with it, but didn’t realize he was implying that he wanted me to step into that role. Once training camp began and he started putting me in those situations, it became clear that I was going to need to alter my game pretty drastically.

That wasn’t easy for me to do. For most of my life, I’ve been asked to make plays by floating to the outside and putting pucks on net. Suddenly I was being asked to be more physical and screen goalies to help set up chances for other guys.

That meant fewer scoring opportunities for myself, which, for most of my career — and according to people at the grocery store — me not scoring has meant failure. There were stretches this year where I’d be doing everything the team asked of me, and doing it fairly well, but I wouldn’t show up on the score sheet for four or five games at a time. At one point, I went 16 games without a goal, which felt awful.

But I stuck with it, because I knew that I was part of something more. I had seen what this team was like when I was a sniper and honestly, it wasn’t bad… but it also wasn’t great. In that first meeting, Coach told me that things were going to change around here, and that if I was willing to buy into it — to truly buy in and change the way I played the game — the results would come.

And now, here we are.

60NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Mon May 15, 2017 3:55 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Read his latest Player's Tribute piece. Talks a lot about how Boucher wanted him to play a very different role from the one he is used to.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/bobby-ryan-senators-playoffs-why-not-us/

Before training camp started last September, I sat down with Coach Boucher and for about two hours we talked hockey. Some of it was specific to our team, but much of it was a broader discussion about hockey philosophy. What makes a good team tick? What causes a talented roster to fail? How do you construct a consistently good power play?

He told me that if our team was going to succeed, we needed reliable “net guys.” For his system to work, he needed players who could do the dirty work in front of the goalie and behind the net in order to set up chances. I agreed with it, but didn’t realize he was implying that he wanted me to step into that role. Once training camp began and he started putting me in those situations, it became clear that I was going to need to alter my game pretty drastically.

That wasn’t easy for me to do. For most of my life, I’ve been asked to make plays by floating to the outside and putting pucks on net. Suddenly I was being asked to be more physical and screen goalies to help set up chances for other guys.

That meant fewer scoring opportunities for myself, which, for most of my career — and according to people at the grocery store — me not scoring has meant failure. There were stretches this year where I’d be doing everything the team asked of me, and doing it fairly well, but I wouldn’t show up on the score sheet for four or five games at a time. At one point, I went 16 games without a goal, which felt awful.

But I stuck with it, because I knew that I was part of something more. I had seen what this team was like when I was a sniper and honestly, it wasn’t bad… but it also wasn’t great. In that first meeting, Coach told me that things were going to change around here, and that if I was willing to buy into it — to truly buy in and change the way I played the game — the results would come.

And now, here we are.
I love that he writes in stuff. That guy is such a loveable guy. Unbelievable. If he can be the playoff Bobby all year long or close to it I'd really like to keep him. Sure he's not the fastest guy but if he can redefine himself into what is asked of him and how he can produce he'll be a great asset. But his diminishing speed, uncertain health and that long contract is going to continue to be a concern.

61NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Mon May 15, 2017 4:15 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:I don't see a scenario where Ryan isn't protected

I don't know. It's a tough one. My heart says "this is a guy that can turn it on, this is a guy that gives it his all more than he's credited for, this is a guy that could still be a 25-30 goal scorer and this is a guy that is a great character and a testimonial for other players to choose Ottawa" and believe me when I say that I really would like him to stay and make it work. But then there's the fear that he can't live up to even lowered expectations and maybe his contract hurts us in 2-3 years times. Hard to tell.
This year supporting Bobby has been tougher than it previously has, ive always been a big supporter believing he can bounce back. But this year it really stretched my belief. I'm glad we are seeing the Bobby we've wanted this season. He may not be scoring the way we originallyexpected he would but he's showing up in a big way.

It just remains to be seen how the org sees him. Maybe they want to keep him but think they can expose him anyways and won't be picked up. Maybe they want him picked up (straight up) which I doubt because I think Bobby has elevated his stock right now to the point that he's actually back to being a tradeable asset or maybe like you said, he's gained the confidence of Boucher and Dorion and they won't even expose him.
I can't wait to see that protected list come out,

62NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Mon May 15, 2017 4:29 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I was looking at he list of players we could protect for the expansion draft (on caphit)and I noticed that macarthur doesn't seem to meet the required 40/70 games played. He would still need to play 23 games. So if everything seems right, i assume we don't need to have him protected. WIN!

63NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Tue May 16, 2017 6:19 pm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:I was looking at he list of players we could protect for the expansion draft (on caphit)and I noticed that macarthur doesn't seem to meet the required 40/70 games played. He would still need to play 23 games. So if everything seems right, i assume we don't need to have him protected. WIN!
MacArthur can be selected.  He just doesn't count as one of the 2 forwards that count towards mandatory exposure.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum