GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL Expansion Draft - 2017

+8
wprager
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
spader
Ev
ddt
Flo The Action
SensHulk
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

16NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:02 am

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Prager, you are off by one year. It is 3 years by the time of the expansion draft. Therefore, Lazar is not exempt but O'Connor, Paul, White, Chabot, etc. are exempt.

17NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:40 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Oglethorpe wrote:
wprager wrote:1st and 2nd year players are exempt.  If a prospect had his 9 games this past season and gets into a few more games this coming season, does that make them a third-year player when the expansion draft rolls around?  If so, that probably means those players won't get any games in the NHL this season.  I think we're fine with Chabot and White, but what about a guy like O'Connor?  He got into a game last season.  If he gets into any games this year, does that mean he is not exempt?

Nick Paul is exempt right now, but if he plays this coming season, I think that means he is no-longer exempt.  Which, I guess, is a good thing for Puempel and McCormick (assuming they keep Paul in Bingo all of next season).
You do realize that the AHL is a professional league and counts the same as an NHL season.  

I always assumed that NHL draft eligibility would depend on NHL years of service. Guess I was wrong.

18NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:49 am

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:
wprager wrote:1st and 2nd year players are exempt.  If a prospect had his 9 games this past season and gets into a few more games this coming season, does that make them a third-year player when the expansion draft rolls around?  If so, that probably means those players won't get any games in the NHL this season.  I think we're fine with Chabot and White, but what about a guy like O'Connor?  He got into a game last season.  If he gets into any games this year, does that mean he is not exempt?

Nick Paul is exempt right now, but if he plays this coming season, I think that means he is no-longer exempt.  Which, I guess, is a good thing for Puempel and McCormick (assuming they keep Paul in Bingo all of next season).
You do realize that the AHL is a professional league and counts the same as an NHL season.  

I always assumed that NHL draft eligibility would depend on NHL years of service.  Guess I was wrong.
I thought so too. Isn't it?

19NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:52 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:Prager, you are off by one year. It is 3 years by the time of the expansion draft. Therefore, Lazar is not exempt but O'Connor, Paul, White, Chabot, etc. are exempt.

It said first and second year players are exempt. The draft will not be this summer but next. O'Connor played this past season (both AHL and NHL) and next season he will be in his second year. Does he still count as a "second year player" at the completion of the second year?

20NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:54 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:Prager, you are off by one year. It is 3 years by the time of the expansion draft. Therefore, Lazar is not exempt but O'Connor, Paul, White, Chabot, etc. are exempt.

It said first and second year players are exempt.  The draft will not be this summer but next.  O'Connor played this past season (both AHL and NHL) and next season he will be in his second year.  Does he still count as a "second year player" at the completion of the second year?
Man, even if they took O'connor that would probably be great. Better him than others. I know he might turn out but last year wasn't encouraging

21NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:56 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:

It said first and second year players are exempt.  The draft will not be this summer but next.  O'Connor played this past season (both AHL and NHL) and next season he will be in his second year.  Does he still count as a "second year player" at the completion of the second year?
Man, even if they took O'connor that would probably be great. Better him than others. I know he might turn out but last year wasn't encouraging

Goalies take time.

22NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:09 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:

Goalies take time.

I find it's tough to evaluate them on their AHL performance. He might still be a great NHL goalie in spite of a bad AHL showing.

23NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:23 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm not throwing away all those previous evaluations based on how he did in his first pro season on a really bad team. For now this is still the guy who was coveted by all 30 GMs in the league. No, he could not be a starter in the NHL, even for an expansion team, but he could certainly be a backup.

There are quite a few details here.

For example:

- A minimum of two forwards and one defenceman must be exposed who have played 40 games the previous season, or a total of 70 over the previous two (the 40/70 players have to be under contract for the expansion season).

- Players with two years of professional experience or less will be exempt from the process. Determining who that covers is based on the definition included in the collective bargaining agreement – meaning that 10 games played in the NHL at age 18 or 19 counts as a season, as does any American Hockey League or NHL season for players older than that.

- Each existing NHL club could lose just one player maximum in a potential expansion draft.

24NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:54 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

Yes. he will be a second year player because he played two years.

Lazar won't be because he played 3.

25NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:51 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

How does the drafting process actually work? Will Las Vegas just have a pool of players to choose from the entire league and they'll just base their roster from that pool? Wondering if there's a chance they pick nobody from the sens, or they have to poach at least one player from each team....

26NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:14 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:How does the drafting process actually work?  Will Las Vegas just have a pool of players to choose from the entire league and they'll just base their roster from that pool?  Wondering if there's a chance they pick nobody from the sens, or they have to poach at least one player from each team....

Yes, has to be one per team. They will have a pool of all the guys eligible then they will craft their team.

27NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:32 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:

Goalies take time.
Yeah but how old is he? 24-25? I'm not saying he won't pan out, he probably needs more seasoning.mhut lets just say he didn't make a very smooth transition to the AHL.

28NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:36 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Michallica wrote:How does the drafting process actually work?  Will Las Vegas just have a pool of players to choose from the entire league and they'll just base their roster from that pool?  Wondering if there's a chance they pick nobody from the sens, or they have to poach at least one player from each team....

Yes, has to be one per team. They will have a pool of all the guys eligible then they will craft their team.
So they will have a pool of 30 guys? So technically they will have to send at least 7 guys to their AHL club that has had 2 years of hockey in the pros? Is that what's going on? Because I imagine they won't be allowed to carry 30 player roster.

29NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:38 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I'm not certain that they are required to select one from each team. Anyone have confirmation on that?

30NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:43 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:I'm not certain that they are required to select one from each team. Anyone have confirmation on that?
Yeah seems to me like that's the problem. Unless they can send 7 guys to the AHL. And I imagine they will be carefully picking 7 guys that should be in the AHL.

31NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:37 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:I'm not certain that they are required to select one from each team. Anyone have confirmation on that?

Umm, that link I posted?

32NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:39 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
Yeah seems to me like that's the problem. Unless they can send 7 guys to the AHL. And I imagine they will be carefully picking 7 guys that should be in the AHL.

After the expansion draft there will also be an entry draft, and they will select another 7 players there. Then there's free agents from the NCAA, Europe and undrafted CHL players. The object of the game will be to have up to 50 players under contract.

33NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:05 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Are there AHL teams that aren't affiliated with NHL teams right now? Or do they need to expand that league as well?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum