GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL Expansion Draft - 2017

+8
wprager
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
spader
Ev
ddt
Flo The Action
SensHulk
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

31NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:37 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:I'm not certain that they are required to select one from each team. Anyone have confirmation on that?

Umm, that link I posted?

32NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:39 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
spader wrote:I'm not certain that they are required to select one from each team. Anyone have confirmation on that?
Yeah seems to me like that's the problem. Unless they can send 7 guys to the AHL. And I imagine they will be carefully picking 7 guys that should be in the AHL.

After the expansion draft there will also be an entry draft, and they will select another 7 players there. Then there's free agents from the NCAA, Europe and undrafted CHL players. The object of the game will be to have up to 50 players under contract.

33NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:05 pm

spader

All-Star
All-Star

Are there AHL teams that aren't affiliated with NHL teams right now? Or do they need to expand that league as well?

34NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:09 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:Are there AHL teams that aren't affiliated with NHL teams right now? Or do they need to expand that league as well?

Some ahl teams had affiliations with multiple nhl teams before so that's what would likely happen

35NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:26 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
spader wrote:Are there AHL teams that aren't affiliated with NHL teams right now? Or do they need to expand that league as well?

Some ahl teams had affiliations with multiple nhl teams before so that's what would likely happen

Cool. It would be neat if a couple players got called up to separate teams, played against each other, then had to rejoin the same team again when they get sent back. Laugh1

36NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:46 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't see why they wouldn't just award an ahl team too, no?

37NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:37 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:I don't see why they wouldn't just award an ahl team too, no?
Likely what will happen if you ask me. Might take a season or two to make it happen though.

I hear Binghamton might be looking for a parent team? Sarcasm

38NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:53 am

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

wprager wrote:

Umm, that link I posted?

...which says exactly this

With only one expansion team believed to be in play at this time, each existing NHL club could lose just one player maximum in a potential expansion draft.

Nothing in there about having to select one player from each team.

39NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:23 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

ddt wrote:
wprager wrote:

Umm, that link I posted?

With only one expansion team believed to be in play at this time, each existing NHL club could lose just one player maximum in a potential expansion draft.

In fact, it seems to imply that they may not lose a player. Qualifying words like "could" make me think that they also could not.

40NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:56 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
ddt wrote:
wprager wrote:

Umm, that link I posted?

In fact, it seems to imply that they may not lose a player. Qualifying words like "could" make me think that they also could not.

Indeed. Perhaps with the maximum being one, the minimum is zero? WP Rager?

41NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:20 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:I don't see why they wouldn't just award an ahl team too, no?

That's the most likely outcome.

Vegas had an ECHL team up until last season. Apparently they couldn't find a new arena to play in. That said, can a city of 2.2M support both an NHL team and an AHL team? #WWAS (what would Alfie say)?

42NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:23 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

ddt wrote:
wprager wrote:

Umm, that link I posted?

In an earlier article (back in March I think) it said something about each team only losing a max of one player. The expansion team only needs to fill a roster of 21, and it will have the expansion draft, entry draft and free agents (including NCAA, Europe, CHL undrafted) to draw from. So I could see how they may restrict it to one player per team, max.

43NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:09 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

One player per team, confirmed.

44NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:10 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Bobby Mac has all your expansion draft info:

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

45NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:11 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Obviously it was one player per team. The only way to keep it fair

46NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:53 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:Obviously it was one player per team. The only way to keep it fair

Well it was obvious to some of us but you scroll up and you see people asking if it had been confirmed.

47NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:16 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

Well it was obvious to some of us but you scroll up and you see people asking if it had been confirmed.
the question was never about more than one player per team but more about the fact would be drafting from teams a total of 30 players. technically 7 of those players will wind up playing in the AHL somewhere. it changes what type of players you chose for those 7 spot. it could prove a surprise to some teams.

48NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: NHL Expansion Draft - 2017 Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:30 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:

the question was never about more than one player per team but more about the fact would be drafting from teams a total of 30 players. technically 7 of those players will wind up playing in the AHL somewhere. it changes what type of players you chose for those 7 spot. it could prove a surprise to some teams.

They will likely be traded. Most players who will get drafted won't be waiver exempt to go to the ahl.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum