GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+12
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
rooneypoo
SensHulk
tim1_2
spader
Hoags
SeawaySensFan
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
NEELY
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 67]

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Ev wrote:Again what good is Anderson playing very well in the playoffs if the team around him can't get it done? You need to maximize value and trade him to improve other areas. You're not gonna win if you're team doesn't improve. People are too blinded but what he did in the playoffs this year, where he didn't even win over 50% of games. Before that nobody cared about him anymore, yourself included NEELY, as you said he was done as a Sen numerous times.

The sens are not a team that should be focusing on just the next two seasons. They need to look at the big picture. Shipping Anderson does not decrease our odds of ding well next year given the fact he had nothing to do with our success this season anyway

As for Connor, they were going to move a goalie regardless once Hammond signs. Has nothing to do with Oconnor.

I still hope he has. My opinion on both guys hasn't changed but my opinion on the situation has based on O'Connor signing, Hammond being offered a deal, and Anderson being the only playoff goalie the Sens have right now.

If the Sens feel O'Connor is the goalie they want to roll with after Anderson, Lehner is gone. Simple as that. You can state you don't believe O'Connor is the goalie of the future or the Sens believe it but if they do believe it, Lehner is gone.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:That's strictly from one point of view though.

This is how the decision will be made.

What's the goal?  Playoffs.
Who gives the Sens the best chance in the playoffs?  Anderson
He will be hurt, who steps in?  Hammond has proven he can win games.
What if Hammond is hurt?  O'Connor will be the first call up and play some games.

So they move Lehner.

Maybe they shock people and move Anderson for the reasons you stated but their goal is for their team to win games next year, not to maximize a trade on someone they might actually believe in because the other guy doesn't get as much back.

Every decision from here on out will be made based on the fact they probably feel close to competing for a cup.  Whoever they move will be based on that.

They're not close to competing a for a cup. Look at the mistake Vancouver made keeping luongo over Schneider.

To get a top six forward they need to clear money. Anderson helps in that way.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Ev wrote:Again what good is Anderson playing very well in the playoffs if the team around him can't get it done? You need to maximize value and trade him to improve other areas. You're not gonna win if you're team doesn't improve. People are too blinded but what he did in the playoffs this year, where he didn't even win over 50% of games. Before that nobody cared about him anymore, yourself included NEELY, as you said he was done as a Sen numerous times.

The sens are not a team that should be focusing on just the next two seasons. They need to look at the big picture. Shipping Anderson does not decrease our odds of ding well next year given the fact he had nothing to do with our success this season anyway

As for Connor, they were going to move a goalie regardless once Hammond signs. Has nothing to do with Oconnor.

I still hope he has.  My opinion on both guys hasn't changed but my opinion on the situation has based on O'Connor signing, Hammond being offered a deal, and Anderson being the only playoff goalie the Sens have right now.

If the Sens feel O'Connor is the goalie they want to roll with after Anderson, Lehner is gone.  Simple as that.  You can state you don't believe O'Connor is the goalie of the future or the Sens believe it but if they do believe it, Lehner is gone.  

To be a playoff goalie you have to start at the bottom at one point. Lots of teams had unproven guys start for them this year. I don't think it matters at all whether or not a guy is proven, or else the Habs would have kept Halak.

I think it matters more if the guy is a proven winner which Anderson is not.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Sens have never cared about maximizing trade value in the past. They held on to a lot of players longer then they should have.

They want to make playoffs every year.

Win and you're in.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:Sens have never cared about maximizing trade value in the past.  They held on to a lot of players longer then they should have.

They want to make playoffs every year.

Win and you're in.

I agree but they're a playoff team regardless of who is in net.

Win and you're in isn't a good mentality to have for your goalies in my opinion.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Right or wrong, I do believe Lehner is the odd man out. but that just means that's who the sens would ideally like to trade. But the wild card here is Lehner is concussed, and hasn't even been able to work out or almost 3 months and is still shelved. I think teams will still want Lehner but the value will be much lower.

If you're Bmurr, u gotta wait and see how things shake out in St. Louis. Anderson over there makes a lot of sense and depends on the coaching situation too. Lehner has definitely been more emotional goalie and secretly I'm still hoping he finds a way to stick in Ottawa and take the reigns.

Also, seen many cases of Hammond type of player at doesn't pan out afterwards. Michael Leighton comes to mind....and I also wouldn't assume it's a done deal that Hammond re-signs with Ottawa. Opportunity of a lifetime for him

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It really depends on the orgs point of view if they foolishly think we are gonna turn into a top contender by next year then they might roll with Anderson. If they think we're still a couple of years away from making some real noise then th will stick with Lehner.

And I agree with ev. Anderson has thrown the team under the bus publicly more often than Lehner after some atrocious goals on his part. I don't buy that the team has soured on Lehner. They might think he's young but that's the thing, it's excusable. I doubt Karlsson would let the whole team sour on him.
Not buying it.

Moving Anderson makes the most sense. If anything I'm a little worried that BM is capable of making the right decision about this but there's no doubt what the logic is. The o'connor is just getting a very capable prospect in bingo because our goaltending there hasn't been very good.
As for Hammond he might not even see the end of his contract if he gets one. I'm still not sold on him. Terrible rebound control.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:so there's no common opinion on big rig. great.

i really hope we're not trading lehner. i mean if i was edmonton or buffalo i'd want lehner too but hey, you can't have him. the advantage with Anderson is his cap hit is silly. you look at guys like Howard that might be hitting the trade block at over 5 mill a season or ward in carolina who is a bigger risk at a bigger price and you see a lot of value in anderson. even guys hitting FA like dubnyk has good value but under such a smaller sample size(even then hes gonna stay with the wild). so what do you have? you trade for a bernier who is likly gonna cost more? roll the dice with Niemi when he couldn't get it done in SJS? Enroth who in my eyes is still completely unproven and probably unreliable?

no, Anderson looks like a very viable trade option both in what he can deliver and in what cap hit he comes at.

no sense moving lehner.

I was just at The Big Rig last night. Great beers -- all brewed in house. Huge food portions for the most part -- competent cooking, but nothing mindblowing. The Edamame appetizer thing was good.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think it's Lehner. I think they see o'connor as a similar prospect and they want Anderson here until he matures. Pretty fair logic IMO. Hammond is the perfect backup, Anderson a strong starter and playoff performer and Lehner is the odd man out right or wrong.

I love Lehner, so I have mixed feelings about that pov personally.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Mind you, if St. Louis calls and wants to offer j-bo and sobotka or berglund for Anderson, Hoffman and legwand then you listen.

Although, Hoffman is the speed on this team that's sorely needed so maybe trading him is a mistake, but sobotka is a destroyer. Hell to play against.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:so there's no common opinion on big rig. great.

i really hope we're not trading lehner. i mean if i was edmonton or buffalo i'd want lehner too but hey, you can't have him. the advantage with Anderson is his cap hit is silly. you look at guys like Howard that might be hitting the trade block at over 5 mill a season or ward in carolina who is a bigger risk at a bigger price and you see a lot of value in anderson. even guys hitting FA like dubnyk has good value but under such a smaller sample size(even then hes gonna stay with the wild). so what do you have? you trade for a bernier who is likly gonna cost more? roll the dice with Niemi when he couldn't get it done in SJS? Enroth who in my eyes is still completely unproven and probably unreliable?

no, Anderson looks like a very viable trade option both in what he can deliver and in what cap hit he comes at.

no sense moving lehner.

I was just at The Big Rig last night. Great beers -- all brewed in house. Huge food portions for the most part -- competent cooking, but nothing mindblowing. The Edamame appetizer thing was good.
were you at the Gloucester one around game time?
The minute the habs scored a few people cheered and then the whole roomed booed. I'm not used to that kind of atmosphere but I'll take it.
Ya the portions were really big and the beers were pretty good. I've said my peace about the coleslaw. Haha.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:Mind you, if St. Louis calls and wants to offer j-bo and sobotka or berglund for Anderson, Hoffman and legwand then you listen.

Although, Hoffman is the speed on this team that's sorely needed so maybe trading him is a mistake, but sobotka is a destroyer.  Hell to play against.  
I can be a bit of a Homer st times but I think you are under valuing Hoffman right now. Rookie year and almost scores 30. His value might never be this high. I'd like me some jay-Bo personally but sobotka has flight risk writen all over him and berg Lund is a big meh. We need a left winger that can score more. I think berg Lund can play on the wing but he's not an upgrade in Hoff

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:Mind you, if St. Louis calls and wants to offer j-bo and sobotka or berglund for Anderson, Hoffman and legwand then you listen.

Although, Hoffman is the speed on this team that's sorely needed so maybe trading him is a mistake, but sobotka is a destroyer.  Hell to play against.  
I can be a bit of a Homer st times but I think you are under valuing Hoffman right now. Rookie year and almost scores 30. His value might never be this high. I'd like me some jay-Bo personally but sobotka has flight risk writen all over him and berg Lund is a big meh. We need a left winger that can score more. I think berg Lund can play on the wing but he's not an upgrade in Hoff

Yeah, the more I think about it, you might be right about Hoffman. Sobotka isn't a flight risk at all IMO, they just couldn't hammer out a contract with him so he left.

I'm personally more interested in a tough player to play against more than a goal scorer. J-bo with Ceci is an awesome thought an him with Karlsson is very exciting, right?

How about Anderson and Cowen for j-bo and sobotka?

Sobotka iirc is a sick faceoff guy who can play left wing as well and is an upgrade on Condra.

You upgrade two important pieces of your team although you might have to add to Andy and Cowen to get it done

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Career 57% faceoff guy who's not too big but plays huge.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=714048

Can play both wings and c, if you want a lefty to take an important draw, he's up there as one of the best, major competitor, hates to lose.

We need this guy IMO.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:

Hoffman is a LW who can score. Unless you trade for someone of similar value you're downgrading the top-6. Plus slowing them down.

Not sure why we need J-Bo

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=714048

Can play both wings and c, if you want a lefty to take an important draw, he's up there as one of the best, major competitor, hates to lose.

We need this guy IMO.  

Just sign manny malholetra if you want a lefty to take face offs.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Hoffman is a LW who can score. Unless you trade for someone of similar value you're downgrading the top-6. Plus slowing them down.

Not sure why we need J-Bo

There are many LW wr could get who are an upgrade on Hoffman

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum