GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+15
Hobiesens
SensHulk
Ev
NEELY
DefenceWinsChampionships
rooneypoo
dennycrane
tim1_2
spader
wprager
PTFlea
Flo The Action
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Lets say they do want to move Eberle for cap and depth purposes, they can get a better deal that Hoffman and Cowen and whatever draft pick you want to throw in there other than a 1st.

I agree but Cowen is signed to a team-friendly contract (if he shows up), Hoffman would fit Edmonton's style of play perfectly, and a 2nd is always nice. Keep in mind we gave up a 1st, an injured prospect, and a top-nine who showed potential for Ryan. Cowen, 2nd, and a good prospect is equivalent in my mind.

Edmonton also has Petry (UFA), Hunt (RFA), and Schultz (RFA) next season with virtually no other prospects than Nurse and Klefbom in their system. Even their forwards prospects aren't great since they just rush everyone into the NHL prematurely.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:
dennycrane wrote:Spezza:
2 GP, 1 A, -3

Liked the deal then, like it now

By all means, lets decide the trade after 3 games.  

I like Chiasson's game, too, but let's evaluate after 10/20 games.  One thing, for sure, our PP has not gotten better.  And Turris is really struggling in the face off circle, which is odd, since last season he was taking the draws against the other teams' 1LC most of the time.

If you watched the Dallas games it's the same Spezza... not even sure he has had a scoring chance.  Spezza is decling quick.

As for Turris, he's just as solid as he was last year, he's taken that next step and is now leading the team.

Not yet but he's proven that we can expect him to be. So far his effort is sporadic and he's fighting the puck a lot.

Are you talking about Turris? That guy is all over the place, making the smart play while making really high level talent plays. He's amazing, I don't see much fighting the puck. Maybe from time to time, but it's early and most guys have fought the puck a bit.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:
2 GP, 1 A, -3

I like Chiasson's game, too, but let's evaluate after 10/20 games.  One thing, for sure, our PP has not gotten better.  And Turris is really struggling in the face off circle, which is odd, since last season he was taking the draws against the other teams' 1LC most of the time.

If you watched the Dallas games it's the same Spezza... not even sure he has had a scoring chance.  Spezza is decling quick.

As for Turris, he's just as solid as he was last year, he's taken that next step and is now leading the team.

Not yet but he's proven that we can expect him to be. So far his effort is sporadic and he's fighting the puck a lot.

I saw the Dallas highlights from the other night and Spezza was chasing the puck from behind, stuck out his stick, and the player he was chasing ended up scoring an easy goal. What we needed from Spezza was exactly what Ryan did last night. We never got that from Spezza and now he's Dallas's problem. Good riddance.

We hands down won that trade. Not only did we get a top-six, two prospects, and a 2nd but we got a team willing to play two-way hockey, an invested Erik Karlsson, and a stingy defensive team.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:
2 GP, 1 A, -3

I saw the Dallas highlights from the other night and Spezza was chasing the puck from behind, stuck out his stick, and the player he was chasing ended up scoring an easy goal. What we needed from Spezza was exactly what Ryan did last night. We never got that from Spezza and now he's Dallas's problem. Good riddance.

We hands down won that trade. Not only did we get a top-six, two prospects, and a 2nd but we got a team willing to play two-way hockey, an invested Erik Karlsson, and a stingy defensive team.

Spezza also hasn't signed an extension so the haul we got back was pretty amazing all things considered

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Diddle yeah, Ryan's play last night was amazing.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:Diddle yeah, Ryan's play last night was amazing.  

If a goal scorer like Ryan were "amazing" last night we wouldn't have been holding on to a tenuous 1 - 0 lead against the lowly Panthers.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:

If a goal scorer like Ryan were "amazing" last night we wouldn't have been holding on to a tenuous 1 - 0 lead against the lowly Panthers.

It took him a few games to score last season too

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:

It'll come. He saved the game for us, him, Wiercioch and Anderson all stole goals away from the Panthers. When Bobby gets on a roll, he'll start scoring a lot IMO. And that'll in turn help Zibanejad etc. etc. etc.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

The extre efforts last night from guys you wouldn't really expect it from, Ryan and Wiercioch most noteably was impressive. The identity of the team is being formed right now, they just happened to take 4 of 6 points as well.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:The extre efforts last night from guys you wouldn't really expect it from, Ryan and Wiercioch most noteably was impressive.  The identity of the team is being formed right now, they just happened to take 4 of 6 points as well.  

And could very well be 3-0 had it not been for a few minutes of bad play.

I am interested to see how Colorado plays in Toronto tonight. Looking forward to the season opener in Ottaw

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Going back to the Cowen trade talk, Methot will eventually re-sign in Ottawa. Ceci is not going down. Karl Ceci Methot Boro Phillips are all locks leaving Wier Cowen Gryba.

A defenceman needs to be traded and you have to think it's either Wier or Cowen with Cowen likely getting the better return.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

It'll come.  He saved the game for us, him, Wiercioch and Anderson all stole goals away from the Panthers.  When Bobby gets on a roll, he'll start scoring a lot IMO.  And that'll in turn help Zibanejad etc. etc. etc.

he had a crazy pre-season though, i think he'll get going for sure. it's not for lack of effort if you ask me, it's just a question of time IMO. once zib, ryan and chiasson develop the right chem it will be lights out.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Methot update from LeBrun:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/32792/rumblings-tanking-doesnt-pay-in-draft

METHOT TALKS HANG OVER SENATORS
Andre Ringuette/NHLI via Getty ImagesWill the Senators trade Marc Methot if they can sign him in the coming months?
When the Ottawa Senators signed Bobby Ryan to a long-term extension earlier this month, it removed what would have been the team’s biggest distraction in terms of a negative, nagging story line.

But another loose end remains. Top-four blueliner Marc Methot is an unrestricted free agent after the season and contract talks have not produced an extension to this point.

The Senators made a contract offer two weeks ago but to no avail. It’s believed talks will resume this week.

What’s clear is this: the Senators front office does not want this to drag on all season into the trade deadline. There’s been enough drama over the past couple of years (Daniel Aflredsson's and Jason Spezza's exits) and the belief is that either Methot signs over the next month or so, or the Senators look at the trade market for him.

As it is, Ottawa has eight NHL blueliners on one-way contracts, so the belief is that the Senators were eventually going to move a body. But the preference would be keep a signed Methot and trade another defenseman. Whether that happens depends on further contract talks.

The Methot camp has used Brooks Orpik, among others, as a comparison in talks; the Capitals signed Orpik for five years and $27.5 million last summer ($5.5 million AAV).

It’s believed the last offer Ottawa made was for around $4.7 million a year, short of what Methot would likely agree to.

Tick tock ...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

4.7 is probably fine, it's the 5th year that's the sticking point.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

IMO they just need to move Cowen... it's early in the season still but this is a carry over from last year where he missed camp because of a contract dispute and was paid based on potential, not what he did for one season in the NHL. IMO he failed the organization and he's going to be the whipping boy all year long and he deserves to be.

Methot... well if you move Cowen's contract you can probably add a little more dollar and stick with the term which is the right move in my opinion.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Honestly would try to pry larsson out of NJ. Cowen for Larsson, straight up. Cowen is under contract, larsson isn't after this season.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'd move Cowen for a prospect with some potential rather than another D-man. I mean...Larsson would be nice, but why in the name of goodness would NJ do that? It doesn't make sense for them at all.

I guess you could swap Cowen for Stewart straight up and make the 3rd line Michalek, Legwand and Stewart, but that's pretty stiff for an upcoming UFA.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Michallica wrote:Honestly would try to pry larsson out of NJ.  Cowen for Larsson, straight up.  Cowen is under contract, larsson isn't after this season.

Right handed shot. I think we are set on that side for the next few years.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum