GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Nashville Predators - 8:00pm ET - Thu. Oct. 9th, 2014

+16
DirtyDave
Hobiesens
asq2
Vandelay
Cap'n Clutch
Flo The Action
Hockeyhero22000
SensHulk
spader
SeawaySensFan
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
Ev
wprager
tim1_2
shabbs
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 11]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:i don't see your point. He's not out there to pass the puck. He's out there to stand in front of the goalie and get tips.

In a perfect world (or a video game) the passer passes, the shooter shoots, and the screener screens. But in a real game situation sometimes the screener has to shoot or make a nifty between-the-legs pass. Point is, even if his "job" is to stand in front of the net and screen the goalie, his list of potential duties includes all the rest.

Neil is not the biggest guy out there, so he's not going to necessarily make the best screener.
He certainly doesn't have the hands or quick release of Stone for those cases where he's the closest Sen to the rebound.

About the only two arguments you can make in Neil's favor is that he is tough enough to stand in there, and they can live with him missing a few games due to injuries from a slash to the knee or ankle.

Why are you arguing the point? There is no arguing it. He's not the only one able and willing to go to the next and take the abuse -- and he is missing those other skills that may become extremely important if the play doesn't go exactly according to plan (i.e. passer passes, shooter shoots, screener screens).

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:i don't see your point. He's not out there to pass the puck. He's out there to stand in front of the goalie and get tips.

In a perfect world (or a video game) the passer passes, the shooter shoots, and the screener screens. But in a real game situation sometimes the screener has to shoot or make a nifty between-the-legs pass. Point is, even if his "job" is to stand in front of the net and screen the goalie, his list of potential duties includes all the rest.

Neil is not the biggest guy out there, so he's not going to necessarily make the best screener.
He certainly doesn't have the hands or quick release of Stone for those cases where he's the closest Sen to the rebound.

About the only two arguments you can make in Neil's favor is that he is tough enough to stand in there, and they can live with him missing a few games due to injuries from a slash to the knee or ankle.

Why are you arguing the point? There is no arguing it. He's not the only one able and willing to go to the next and take the abuse -- and he is missing those other skills that may become extremely important if the play doesn't go exactly according to plan (i.e. passer passes, shooter shoots, screener screens).

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

In a perfect world (or a video game) the passer passes, the shooter shoots, and the screener screens.  But in a real game situation sometimes the screener has to shoot or make a nifty between-the-legs pass.  Point is, even if his "job" is to stand in front of the net and screen the goalie, his list of potential duties includes all the rest.  

Why are you arguing the point?  There is no arguing it.  He's not the only one able and willing to go to the next and take the abuse -- and he is missing those other skills that may become extremely important if the play doesn't go exactly according to plan (i.e. passer passes, shooter shoots, screener screens).

So why not put Cowen out there? I think Chiasson or Zib should have been on the ice, not Neil. Hell, I would have even put Lazar out there.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

On a side note, who here uses gamecenter? I tried using it yesterday after the sens game ended (since I'm on the west coast, I pretty much wait till the game is over and then re-watch from the start), but I got a stupid screen that said "this game has ended" and didn't go away. Is there some kind of 24 hour wait period to re-watch games? Mind you, I was using apple tv, so it could be that.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I think games can take a bit of time for them to show up as available for replay later.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Once the game is ended, you have to wait like 1 hour for them to reput-it online.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I too shook my head when Neil was out there. That stuff worked many years ago, but not anymore. Need our skilled forwards on there.

Allowing 3 third period goals when you have allowed zero all game long is just unacceptable. Growing pains I hope.

Also, why does anderson bite every single time on the wrap around attempts? That was a frustrating game.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:I think games can take a bit of time for them to show up as available for replay later.

LeCaptain wrote:Once the game is ended, you have to wait like 1 hour for them to reput-it online.

I waited a good 2 hours. Even when I went to bed around midnight pacific, none of the games were up. I think it's apple tv problem though, cuz I was able to access the games on my iphone

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Before I put Neil on, I'd put any of these:

Chiasson, lazar, stone, legwand, smith, Zibanejad, Michalek, any of the Turris line, Hoffman.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Michallica wrote:
shabbs wrote:I think games can take a bit of time for them to show up as available for replay later.

LeCaptain wrote:Once the game is ended, you have to wait like 1 hour for them to reput-it online.

I waited a good 2 hours.  Even when I went to bed around midnight pacific, none of the games were up.  I think it's apple tv problem though, cuz I was able to access the games on my iphone

It despends on the devices yes, on my ps3 it's a bit longer than on NHL.com

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Stone is the new guy that should be planted in front of the goalie.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:I too shook my head when Neil was out there.  That stuff worked many years ago, but not anymore.  Need our skilled forwards on there.

Allowing 3 third period goals when you have allowed zero all game long is just unacceptable.  Growing pains I hope.

Also, why does anderson bite every single time on the wrap around attempts? That was a frustrating game.

The chances were back and forth though, we probably deserved to be tied after 2. Then the giveaways kept coming abd you knew we were in trouble. Growing pains for sure though, lots of positives as well as some glaring issues.

Anderson bites on wraparounds badly, but our d was standing aroun watching weber and that's what happens.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I guess the bottom line is that our defence is über young or just not great. But we'll see if they settle down as time goes on. can't wait too long though.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

ya, Stone should have been up there before Neil.

i hope this year isn't a repeat of last year where Neil and Smith are up there at crucial times ahead of top 6 forwards.
typical Mac.

i can deal with mistakes youth might make if we put them in situations that are difficult but putting a seasoned vet (who is on the decline) that is bound not to get any result is already getting old.

on another note, man is Turris exciting to watch! that's a motivated player on the ice!

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I actually agree with Simpson on Bobby Ryan, I think the guy is gonna need some time to get in shape after the surgery.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

LeCaptain wrote:I actually agree with Simpson on Bobby Ryan, I think the guy is gonna need some time to get in shape after the surgery.

He put in the effort, he just had a stale game offensively. I agree, itll take some time. Same with Karlsson, the timing was off and because they're our 2 big guns people notice.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Michallica wrote:

I waited a good 2 hours.  Even when I went to bed around midnight pacific, none of the games were up.  I think it's apple tv problem though, cuz I was able to access the games on my iphone
They had a ton of issues at the season start maybe they're still struggling.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SpezDispensed wrote:
Michallica wrote:I too shook my head when Neil was out there.  That stuff worked many years ago, but not anymore.  Need our skilled forwards on there.

Allowing 3 third period goals when you have allowed zero all game long is just unacceptable.  Growing pains I hope.

The chances were back and forth though, we probably deserved to be tied after 2.  Then the giveaways kept coming abd you knew we were in trouble.   Growing pains for sure though, lots of positives as well as some glaring issues.  

Anderson bites on wraparounds badly, but our d was standing aroun watching weber and that's what happens.
The standing around drive me nuts. Seemed to happen on all the wraparounds. Like they're all just watching and saying "Wow, he's gonna try a big slow wrap-around, I should probably do something and move... yeah... oh crap, too late. Goal."

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum