GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+19
TheAvatar
LeCaptain
Hobiesens
Cap'n Clutch
DefenceWinsChampionships
tim1_2
SensHulk
Ev
rooneypoo
wprager
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
Hoags
NEELY
sandysensfan
PTFlea
spader
22_4_ever
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 27 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 59 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 51 of 67]

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:I don't mind this at all, for a bunch of reasons.

First, Lehner has not done anything to demonstrate that he's ready to take the reins. I know he's the golden boy of the org, and that he's expected to take over the next sooner or later, but he hasn't really forced our hand into putting him in that spot. If and when he does, we'll be left with a very good goalie in Anderson as our backup or as a tradable asset. Win/win, if you ask me.

Second, we have a great tandem locked up for the next three years for about the same price most teams pay for a starter ($6.5 mil). Good value, and good insurance.

Third, it undercuts the narrative about budgets and no one wanting to play here.

I see nothing wrong with this deal. That fact that Yost thinks it dumb only confirms further for me that it's totally fine.
PMac never allowed Lehner the opportunity to take the reins, when Anderson was hurt Lehner was on a roll and didn't get a chance to continue.  

You don't need your coach to 'give opportunities to take the reins'. You plays so damn well you force the coach's hand. I know you're thinking of that one week in November when he won the 1st star of the week, and that's fair to a point... but it's not like he came back and stood on his head in the next opportunities.

Lehner's gotta step up and earn it. He's shown flashes here and there, but he hasn't exactly outplayed Andy for weeks at a time, at any time -- not yet.

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:I see nothing wrong with this deal. That fact that Yost thinks it dumb only confirms further for me that it's totally fine.
Truth.

Oh, does he?  Then that settles it.

The deal is fine and the fact that it is front-loaded helps trade Anderson if Lehner begins to take over. Win-win for everyone involed.

But the BUDGET! Anderson! BUDGET! MacArthur! BUDGET!!! And Borowieki! Aaaaaaa!

*Yost's stupid head implodes*
You're right, there is no budget.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:
Ev wrote:to me it shows that they won't be a budget team soon.

Next year's (15-16) cap payroll is at

$45,356,667

Add $6-7 for Ryan

Add $4-5 for Methot

Add $3-3.5 for Zibanejad

Add $2-2.5 for Chiasson

Add $2-2.5 for Stone

Add $800K for Lazar

That's a payroll of at least 60 million. Out of ~70.
Likely a 55-56M floor and a cap of 74-75M for 2015-16 as per James Mirtle and some others.

Not sure if this was your point but...

I don't see any problems with a young team (we're like the 5th youngest team in the NHL right now) not spending to the cap ceiling. If you draft em and develop em and believe in em, you gotta play em when they're ready. If 70%~ of your roster is occupied with players under 27, it stands to reason that you're not spending to the cap to ice that team. That cap space is needed in the medium/long term to make sure you can keep those players, too.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:I see nothing wrong with this deal. That fact that Yost thinks it dumb only confirms further for me that it's totally fine.
Truth.

Oh, does he?  Then that settles it.

The deal is fine and the fact that it is front-loaded helps trade Anderson if Lehner begins to take over. Win-win for everyone involed.

But the BUDGET! Anderson! BUDGET! MacArthur! BUDGET!!! And Borowieki! Aaaaaaa!

*Yost's stupid head implodes*
You're right, there is no budget.  

Even if there is, I see little evidence that it is really impacting the team in any tangible way right now. OTT is a young team, with lots of good young players either just arriving or about to, and that means they need to play. It also means the organization needs a lot of cap space and money to sign that young core in the future. If this team is to spend money, it needs to be spent in the future, not today, and especially not on UFAs -- every dollar/contract/roster space taken away from the young core today costs us a good young player in the very near future.

The only case where the supposed budget would have a concrete negative impact is if Ryan wanted to stay and we wanted to sign him, but we couldn't get a number that fits. That's it. We haven't seen that yet.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Oglethorpe wrote:
Ev wrote:to me it shows that they won't be a budget team soon.

Next year's (15-16) cap payroll is at

$45,356,667

Add $6-7 for Ryan

Add $4-5 for Methot

Add $3-3.5 for Zibanejad

Add $2-2.5 for Chiasson

Add $2-2.5 for Stone

Add $800K for Lazar

That's a payroll of at least 60 million. Out of ~70.
Likely a 55-56M floor and a cap of 74-75M for 2015-16 as per James Mirtle and some others.

I think Stone and Chiasson could easily be in line for heftier raises if they do well; same for Zibanejad. Ryan could well get $7. I can see them getting to $67M fairly quickly. Of course at that point you have to start moving guys like Greening and the dance continues.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:Im not sure how i feel about this. I think I was into keeping Anderson for another 2 years but this is 4 more years from now. You all talk about tradable assets when really is pavelec tradable? If andy takes a dive in nets we'll be stuck with him. But all n all I'm happy with having a solid back up and it's not like we're right against the cap.
I'm hoping they didn't give him a NTC.

I'll also bet Anderson doesn't finish this next contract here.

Over his 4 years here (including last year) Anderson has a .920 SV%.  

Bishop .924 = $5.95
Bobrovski .923 = $5.625
Bernier .923 = $2.9
Elliott .922 = $2.5
Scrivens .922 = $2.3
Halak .921 = $4.5
Schneider .921 = $4M
Lehtonen .919 = $5.9
Luongo .919 = $4.5

Oh, and let's not forget King Henrik, .920 = $8.5

Oh, by the way, Lehtonen is very much a comparable, same career SV%, often-injured, had a couple of really good years.  Lehtonen is a little older and is making a ridiculous (in comparison to Anderson) $5.9M.

All in all, assuming Anderson regresses to the mean, he should not be very difficult to move, especially given how the salary tapers off.

Wow, that's an amazing stat. I knew Anderson had been solid, but a .920 over the last 4 years puts him in elite company.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

if the budget was so strict going forward, it makes way more sense to give Lehner the job and find a scrub backup.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Steve Lloyd ‏@TSNSteveLloyd 2m
#SENS AGM Pierre Dorion also telling us that he believes Methot's extension will be the toughest to get done. #Sens

Love what that implies about Ryan...

What this (also) tells me is that Methot wants too much money/term -- i.e., Orpik money, which he's not worth (nor is Orpik, for that matter). If he is indeed looking for 5x5 or thereabouts, we are right to pass, just as we were right to pass on Volchenkov's demands. Methot is a steady, 2nd pairing, defensive stay-at-home D. As such, he deserves 3.5-4 mil, with a decent term (4-5 years), and no more. $5 mil for a stay at home guy is insane.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

We don't need Methot too badly but I think he will definitely give in and sign

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:Steve Lloyd ‏@TSNSteveLloyd  2m
#SENS AGM Pierre Dorion also telling us that he believes Methot's extension will be the toughest to get done. #Sens

What this (also) tells me is that Methot wants too much money/term -- i.e., Orpik money, which he's not worth (nor is Orpik, for that matter). If he is indeed looking for 5x5 or thereabouts, we are right to pass, just as we were right to pass on Volchenkov's demands. Methot is a steady, 2nd pairing, defensive stay-at-home D. As such, he deserves 3.5-4 mil, with a decent term (4-5 years), and no more. $5 mil for a stay at home guy is insane.

i'd be careful with what dorion was saying. wasn't he saying a few weeks ago how methot and them were much closer to a deal? ya.... that didn't happen.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

They're also not disclosing that both Ryan and them are committed to a deal. Just working out the seats now

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:They're also not disclosing that both Ryan and them are committed to a deal. Just working out the seats now
again, this came from a poster on a hockey site that might be connected? ya...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:Steve Lloyd ‏@TSNSteveLloyd  2m

To add to that:

As per Dorian (acting GM) interview:

1. Team thinks Anderson has played good hockey for Ottawa since he's been on the team.

2. Wanted the Lehner contract done first.

3. Not concerned about the contract length because they feel goalies in their mid 30's can still play well.

4. Thinks the team has one of the best tandems in the league and both can be a starter.

5. Not concerned with Lehner or Anderson wanting to be #1, thinks they will push each other, and they will go with whomever will win games.

6. Lehner's and Anderson's agents both knew that the team was pursuing extensions with both players.

7. Ryan negotiations are ongoing and the team has spoke with his agent today.

8. Ryan negotiations will be held up a bit until he's in town for training camp.

9. Methot has been the most difficult negotiations.

10. Confident extensions will be reached with both.

11. Melnyk has authorized the team to spend "a lot" of money to get extensions completed.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1726509&page=4

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think it might be true, I think we might be able to keep them all - including Methot who clearly wants to stay.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Bu... bu... but, THE BUDGET!!!! is there. How can this be?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

budget budget budget

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:budget budget budget

Ahahaha, how hilarious would it be, after a summer's worth of BUDGET!!! talk, to have the team turn around and invest about $8-10 mil new dollars (i.e., raises on their current salaries) in MacArthur, Lehner, Boro, Anderson, Ryan, and Methot, all long term. Some folks on this site better pray it doesn't happen, 'cause I'll never let it go. Laugh1

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

We should joke about the Cussing budget after we've signed Bobby Ryan, not before.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 51 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 27 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 59 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum