GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+19
TheAvatar
LeCaptain
Hobiesens
Cap'n Clutch
DefenceWinsChampionships
tim1_2
SensHulk
Ev
rooneypoo
wprager
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
Hoags
NEELY
sandysensfan
PTFlea
spader
22_4_ever
23 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 67]

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

sandysensfan wrote:
NEELY wrote:Hoffman will have to earn every second of ice time and being an offensive guy he better be scoring at a better clip than Colin Greening which to this point in his NHL career, he has not.

Sandy's right about where Hoffman fits... IMO the 13th forward.  That's if he isn't beaten out by guys that are hungrier once again at camp.

I meant to put Michalek up with Legwand and Hoffman down with Zib.  But where does Lazar fit?

I could see Hoffman traded but to where and for what or whom?

Lazar is a RHS so it's either RW or Centre. He likely could play LW, but you don't do that to a kid entering his first year in the NHL. You put him where he can succeed, so I don't think he plays at C, and we have a bunch of RW's now.

Funny how just 3 years ago there wasn't much in Ottawa or it's farm system for RW's but now...there appears to be the potential for too many.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I think you'll see a lot of line balancing in terms of experience next season. They may establish three even lines vice two power lines to help take pressure off Turris.

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Hoffman-Legwand-Stone
Michalek-Zib-Chiasson
Greening-Smith-Neil

Wish we had one more good LW to put on that second line - someone who can score goals. Not sure I like Hoffman there but IMO Hoffman > Condra for a top-six role.

NEELY wrote:Lazar will be on the top 2 lines before the first game ends.  Kid is legit and 100% ready.

I'd have to agree. Can Lazar Beam play on the LW? Can Chiasson?

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
9MM-Legwand-Stone
Lazar-Zib-Chiasson
Greening-Smith-Neil

or

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
9MM-Legwand-Stone
Chiasson-Zib-Lazar
Greening-Smith-Neil

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The thing that'll propel Lazar up the food chain is he 100% plays a MacLean style game. Forget that he's a winner and a competitor, he also does the little things that Mac loves.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:The thing that'll propel Lazar up the food chain is he 100% plays a MacLean style game.  Forget that he's a winner and a competitor, he also does the little things that Mac loves.

Awesome. I really think that those line projections give the Sens a good (maybe not great, but we'll see) 1st line, and two A/B 2nd lines, as well as a true 4th. If Smith and Greening can each pot 10+, that's a big win. Smith had 13 last year although Greening had a down year. We'll see. We all know he's capable of it.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

spader wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:The thing that'll propel Lazar up the food chain is he 100% plays a MacLean style game.  Forget that he's a winner and a competitor, he also does the little things that Mac loves.

Awesome. I really think that those line projections give the Sens a good (maybe not great, but we'll see) 1st line, and two A/B 2nd lines, as well as a true 4th. If Smith and Greening can each pot 10+, that's a big win. Smith had 13 last year although Greening had a down year. We'll see. We all know he's capable of it.

I guess now the greater concern is the defense and if they can re-bound.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

sandysensfan wrote:
spader wrote:

Spezza had a year off rehabbing, so did Cowen. It's natural to think he'll bounce back. Hopefully the defence rebounds behind him. I would imagine it will.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:
spader wrote:

Spezza had a year off rehabbing, so did Cowen.  It's natural to think he'll bounce back.  Hopefully the defence rebounds behind him.  I would imagine it will.

That in itself will make for a more competitive season.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I wonder if PW will get a regular shift. His possession numbers are good. I think this is a make or break year for him, and I personally think he's got it.

I think Ceci goes to the AHL to start the year. Well, let me qualify that. If there's no trade with Dmen, Ceci starts in the AHL.

Methot-EK
Cowen-PW
Phillips-Gryba
Boro

If Boro or Gryba get moved, it might be this:

Methot-EK
PW-Ceci
Cowen-Phillips
Gryba/Boro

It's also possible that Wideman makes the move this year. He's right-handed. Might be interesting.

We could have a right-side of EK/Ceci/Wideman. That's a lot of puck movement. If that was the case and we had Methot/Wiercioch/Cowen on the left, we'd have a pretty decent D. That leaves Phillips out and leaves the D very young, but it might be good to have him swapping in and out of the lineup.

Now, if Methot is traded, we'd have Cowen/PW/Phillips (theoretically) on the left side. I moved Cowen up because I think PW is ideal as a 2nd pairing guy.

Cowen-Karlsson
PW-Ceci/Phillips
Wideman-Phillips/Ceci
Gryba/Boro

If Gryba was on the bench as a 7th, that might work, as he could slot into Wideman's spot to create a shut-down pairing.

I swear, I could have made this post longer.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, I think Ceci starts in the AHL no matter what. Too many players, too little happening on the trade market, not gonna all work itself out that quick I don't think.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Yeah, I think Ceci starts in the AHL no matter what.  Too many players, too little happening on the trade market, not gonna all work itself out that quick I don't think.

If Methot gets moved, Ceci starts in the NHL, I think.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

spader wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Yeah, I think Ceci starts in the AHL no matter what.  Too many players, too little happening on the trade market, not gonna all work itself out that quick I don't think.

If Methot gets moved, Ceci starts in the NHL, I think.

They need to move someone, I assume they will. I thought they needed to move 2, but I forgot Boro will likely be the 7th D.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I think there is a decent chance Ceci starts the year in the AHL but it's not written in stone. Who knows how the rest of the summer plays out but as is... I would lay odds on Ceci starting in Bingo for sure. Guy will log 30 mins a night down there next to Claesson.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:I think there is a decent chance Ceci starts the year in the AHL but it's not written in stone.  Who knows how the rest of the summer plays out but as is... I would lay odds on Ceci starting in Bingo for sure.  Guy will log 30 mins a night down there next to Claesson.

I think he'd benefit from that. Then when there's an injury or a trade, he could come up.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

In a year of transition like this I think it might be a good move to keep the more mature players in Ottawa just in case things go off the track a little. Depending on a 20, 21 year old kid to be a key cog on a very inexperienced blueline even without him could back fire.

That said, if he earns a spot he earns a spot and should get to play. There's just no way to say how the lineup will look in Nashville come October.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:In a year of transition like this I think it might be a good move to keep the more mature players in Ottawa just in case things go off the track a little.  Depending on a 20, 21 year old kid to be a key cog on a very inexperienced blueline even without him could back fire.

That said, if he earns a spot he earns a spot and should get to play.  There's just no way to say how the lineup will look in Nashville come October.  

Agreed with the bolded parts. If he makes the team, keep him up. Generally speaking, though, he might benefit more from a year (or a few months) as a top-guy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 67]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum