GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+19
TheAvatar
LeCaptain
Hobiesens
Cap'n Clutch
DefenceWinsChampionships
tim1_2
SensHulk
Ev
rooneypoo
wprager
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
Hoags
NEELY
sandysensfan
PTFlea
spader
22_4_ever
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 50 of 67]

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:to me it shows that they won't be a budget team soon.

Next year's (15-16) cap payroll is at

$45,356,667

Add $6-7 for Ryan

Add $4-5 for Methot

Add $3-3.5 for Zibanejad

Add $2-2.5 for Chiasson

Add $2-2.5 for Stone

Add $800K for Lazar

That's a payroll of at least 60 million. Out of ~70.

Is it possible that *gasp* the whole BUDGET!!! thing has been blown out of proportion? But all-knowing Yost tells me otherwise!

NEELY

Mod
Mod

#budget

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#BlameTheBudget

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:

$45,356,667

Add $6-7 for Ryan

Add $4-5 for Methot

Add $3-3.5 for Zibanejad

Add $2-2.5 for Chiasson

Add $2-2.5 for Stone

Add $800K for Lazar

Is it possible that *gasp* the whole BUDGET!!! thing has been blown out of proportion? But all-knowing Yost tells me otherwise!

It has been, because if they went out and spent on stupid free agents, then where is the money for re-signing your key players?

Reward your key players once they earn it on their cheap deals. Just like they did with Mac.

They are bang on when they say they will spend when it is right. But that doesn't mean you go spend on somebody just for the sake of spending.

IMO next year will be the perfect time to trade some depth and pounce on another Ryan type.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

$45,356,667

Add $6-7 for Ryan

Add $4-5 for Methot

Add $3-3.5 for Zibanejad

Add $2-2.5 for Chiasson

Add $2-2.5 for Stone

Add $800K for Lazar

It has been, because if they went out and spent on stupid free agents, then where is the money for re-signing your key players?

Reward your key players once they earn it on their cheap deals. Just like they did with Mac.

They are bang on when they say they will spend when it is right. But that doesn't mean you go spend on somebody just for the sake of spending.

IMO next year will be the perfect time to trade some depth and pounce on another Ryan type.

This is the exact set of points/arguments I hammered Yost on for like 5 hours straight on Twitter, right around UFA day. Just waiting for the Ryan re-signing to rub it in his stupid know-it-all face.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
Ev wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

$45,356,667

Add $6-7 for Ryan

Add $4-5 for Methot

Add $3-3.5 for Zibanejad

Add $2-2.5 for Chiasson

Add $2-2.5 for Stone

Add $800K for Lazar

This is the exact set of points/arguments I hammered Yost on for like 5 hours straight on Twitter, right around UFA day. Just waiting for the Ryan re-signing to rub it in his stupid know-it-all face.

The problem with social media. Any idiot can have a voice and/or a following.

Travis Yost thinks he's better than everyone else because of his stats and his muscles. That's about it.

I'd like to see him face-to-face with Bryan Murray. IMO he wouldn't have the balls to talk hockey with him.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

The Citizen is reporting that Andy's new deal does NOT have a no-trade clause of any kind.

BM just keeps winning.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Im not sure how i feel about this. I think I was into keeping Anderson for another 2 years but this is 4 more years from now. You all talk about tradable assets when really is pavelec tradable? If andy takes a dive in nets we'll be stuck with him. But all n all I'm happy with having a solid back up and it's not like we're right against the cap.
I'm hoping they didn't give him a NTC.

I'll also bet Anderson doesn't finish this next contract here.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:Im not sure how i feel about this. I think I was into keeping Anderson for another 2 years but this is 4 more years from now. You all talk about tradable assets when really is pavelec tradable? If andy takes a dive in nets we'll be stuck with him. But all n all I'm happy with having a solid back up and it's not like we're right against the cap.

The lack of any kind of NTC says for sure that he won't, not unless Lehner Dung the bed. Officially nothing to dislike about this deal now.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:I see nothing wrong with this deal. That fact that Yost thinks it dumb only confirms further for me that it's totally fine.
Truth.

Oh, does he? Then that settles it.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:Im not sure how i feel about this. I think I was into keeping Anderson for another 2 years but this is 4 more years from now. You all talk about tradable assets when really is pavelec tradable? If andy takes a dive in nets we'll be stuck with him. But all n all I'm happy with having a solid back up and it's not like we're right against the cap.

Over his 4 years here (including last year) Anderson has a .920 SV%.

Bishop .924 = $5.95
Bobrovski .923 = $5.625
Bernier .923 = $2.9
Elliott .922 = $2.5
Scrivens .922 = $2.3
Halak .921 = $4.5
Schneider .921 = $4M
Lehtonen .919 = $5.9
Luongo .919 = $4.5

Oh, and let's not forget King Henrik, .920 = $8.5

Oh, by the way, Lehtonen is very much a comparable, same career SV%, often-injured, had a couple of really good years. Lehtonen is a little older and is making a ridiculous (in comparison to Anderson) $5.9M.

All in all, assuming Anderson regresses to the mean, he should not be very difficult to move, especially given how the salary tapers off.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:I see nothing wrong with this deal. That fact that Yost thinks it dumb only confirms further for me that it's totally fine.
Truth.

Oh, does he? Then that settles it.

The deal is fine and the fact that it is front-loaded helps trade Anderson if Lehner begins to take over. Win-win for everyone involed.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Truth.

Oh, does he?  Then that settles it.

The deal is fine and the fact that it is front-loaded helps trade Anderson if Lehner begins to take over. Win-win for everyone involed.

But the BUDGET! Anderson! BUDGET! MacArthur! BUDGET!!! And Borowieki! Aaaaaaa!

*Yost's stupid head implodes*

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:I don't mind this at all, for a bunch of reasons.

First, Lehner has not done anything to demonstrate that he's ready to take the reins. I know he's the golden boy of the org, and that he's expected to take over the next sooner or later, but he hasn't really forced our hand into putting him in that spot. If and when he does, we'll be left with a very good goalie in Anderson as our backup or as a tradable asset. Win/win, if you ask me.

Second, we have a great tandem locked up for the next three years for about the same price most teams pay for a starter ($6.5 mil). Good value, and good insurance.

Third, it undercuts the narrative about budgets and no one wanting to play here.

I see nothing wrong with this deal. That fact that Yost thinks it dumb only confirms further for me that it's totally fine.
PMac never allowed Lehner the opportunity to take the reins, when Anderson was hurt Lehner was on a roll and didn't get a chance to continue.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

$45,356,667

Add $6-7 for Ryan

Add $4-5 for Methot

Add $3-3.5 for Zibanejad

Add $2-2.5 for Chiasson

Add $2-2.5 for Stone

Add $800K for Lazar

Likely a 55-56M floor and a cap of 74-75M for 2015-16 as per James Mirtle and some others.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:I don't mind this at all, for a bunch of reasons.

First, Lehner has not done anything to demonstrate that he's ready to take the reins. I know he's the golden boy of the org, and that he's expected to take over the next sooner or later, but he hasn't really forced our hand into putting him in that spot. If and when he does, we'll be left with a very good goalie in Anderson as our backup or as a tradable asset. Win/win, if you ask me.

Second, we have a great tandem locked up for the next three years for about the same price most teams pay for a starter ($6.5 mil). Good value, and good insurance.

Third, it undercuts the narrative about budgets and no one wanting to play here.

I see nothing wrong with this deal. That fact that Yost thinks it dumb only confirms further for me that it's totally fine.
PMac never allowed Lehner the opportunity to take the reins, when Anderson was hurt Lehner was on a roll and didn't get a chance to continue.  

You don't need your coach to 'give opportunities to take the reins'. You plays so damn well you force the coach's hand. I know you're thinking of that one week in November when he won the 1st star of the week, and that's fair to a point... but it's not like he came back and stood on his head in the next opportunities.

Lehner's gotta step up and earn it. He's shown flashes here and there, but he hasn't exactly outplayed Andy for weeks at a time, at any time -- not yet.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Truth.

Oh, does he?  Then that settles it.

But the BUDGET! Anderson! BUDGET! MacArthur! BUDGET!!! And Borowieki! Aaaaaaa!

*Yost's stupid head implodes*
You're right, there is no budget.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:

$45,356,667

Add $6-7 for Ryan

Add $4-5 for Methot

Add $3-3.5 for Zibanejad

Add $2-2.5 for Chiasson

Add $2-2.5 for Stone

Add $800K for Lazar

Likely a 55-56M floor and a cap of 74-75M for 2015-16 as per James Mirtle and some others.

Not sure if this was your point but...

I don't see any problems with a young team (we're like the 5th youngest team in the NHL right now) not spending to the cap ceiling. If you draft em and develop em and believe in em, you gotta play em when they're ready. If 70%~ of your roster is occupied with players under 27, it stands to reason that you're not spending to the cap to ice that team. That cap space is needed in the medium/long term to make sure you can keep those players, too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 50 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum