GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+19
TheAvatar
LeCaptain
Hobiesens
Cap'n Clutch
DefenceWinsChampionships
tim1_2
SensHulk
Ev
rooneypoo
wprager
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
Hoags
NEELY
sandysensfan
PTFlea
spader
22_4_ever
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 43 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 19 of 67]

spader

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:There's a difference between star and superstar. Neal is not a superstar.

Ottawas superstar is karlsson. There's a reason Dorion said he is the only big name on the team.

Matt moulson isn't a superstar. There's your comparison for Ryan

Ryan is a step up on Moulson. I'd say he's between Moulson and Neal in terms of value.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Bad, bad accident this afternoon at March and Carling. I'm at that intersection every day going to/from work. Looks like one car was turning left onto March and got T-boned by a larger car traveling north-west on March road. Someone must have ran a red light.

This intersection is just a stone's throw from where that minivan driver mowed down five bikers five years ago.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
Ev wrote:There's a difference between star and superstar. Neal is not a superstar.

Ottawas superstar is karlsson. There's a reason Dorion said he is the only big name on the team.

Matt moulson isn't a superstar. There's your comparison for Ryan

Ryan is a step up on Moulson. I'd say he's between Moulson and Neal in terms of value.
how is he not equal to neal in terms of value? he's not playing with a Malkin, and in anaheim he wasn't on the getzlaf line if i remember correctly. i'd say he's a star in his own right.
and as far as karlsson? man there is maybe 5 players in the league that are above him in terms of elite talent. ya he's a generational superstar. they're called elite generational players. Ryan is a a pretty big star in his own right.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

You're probably right about Ryan and Neal. My main point was that Ryan is a step above Moulson.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Neal and Ryan have similar career stats (Neal slightly ahead in both points and goals per game over the career), but he playing with arguably the best offensive center in the league for 3 years (I'd put him ahead of Crosby because of injuries) is a huge boost. Also Ryan playing injured last year and having that stomach ailment the year before affects those averages (still a fairly short career so one good or one poor year makes a big difference in stats).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The Hockey Writers giving Stone some love in their dark horse picks:

http://thehockeywriters.com/8-deep-sleepers-that-will-surprise-in-2014-15

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Wasn't it about a year ago Karlsson was tweeting pictures of him and his wife in Italy? Is it going to become a yearly thing with this guy?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Bad, bad accident this afternoon at March and Carling.  I'm at that intersection every day going to/from work.  Looks like one car was turning left onto March and got T-boned by a larger car traveling north-west on March road.  Someone must have ran a red light.

This intersection is just a stone's throw from where that minivan driver mowed down five bikers five years ago.

I take that route after I drop the kids off and head to the Queensway. Anything new on this?

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:Bad, bad accident this afternoon at March and Carling.  I'm at that intersection every day going to/from work.  Looks like one car was turning left onto March and got T-boned by a larger car traveling north-west on March road.  Someone must have ran a red light.

I take that route after I drop the kids off and head to the Queensway.  Anything new on this?

I'm on vacation the next two weeks and I didn't got anywhere on the weekend (other than driving my kid to WalMart -- and I take the 2nd line/Terry Fox route). So I haven't even seen the intersection since Friday. Haven't seen any updates. I think the two killed were the father/son because one report I read said the two pulled out of the car that were in critical were in their 40s.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well that report must have been rushed, because I just read another one that said the father/son pair were the ones rushed to hospital. Saw another angle and the mangled car (with the tarp over it -- I assume they did that because it was kinda gruesome inside) is just off to the side of the ramp turning right onto March from Carling -- that's the ramp I take very day on the way home. The ramp turns to a merge lane and the traffic from March can't be in that lane until they pass the intersection (it's one of those two lanes become three, with the third lane is the merge lane extending from the ramp).

I guess it's possible that the car coming from Carling tried to cross over from the merge lane immediately after the ramp. Just looks odd where it came to rest -- would have expected it to be pushed off to the right and forward, but it looks like it is back where the ramp is (the curved part).

I guess another possibility is the car was crossing on red from across March road and got plowed.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well strike all that.

Those at the scene, as well as Sun sources, claim one the vehicles drove through the intersection, hit the median and went airborne — flipping and landing hood-on-hood with a Toyota sitting at the intersection, waiting at a red light to turn from Carling Ave. onto March Rd. The vehicle that struck the Toyota then careened into the ditch next to Mitel.

The two deceased were in the Toyota.

Insp. John Medeiros wouldn’t confirm the preliminary details and said police won’t decide if charges are pending until they’ve reviewed the witness statements and the collision experts determine if speed was a factor.

Sources told the Sun the vehicle that flipped had been driving erratically prior to the collision.

I'm still struggling to understand what happened, but it sounds like the two killed were sitting at the red light waiting to turn onto March (turning left) when the other car landed on top of them.

Wow.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Sounds about right. How could speed NOT be involved? I'm no engineer but, I would think that you'd need a significant amount of speed in order to hit a median with enough force to get that kind of air time.

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:if people could stop calling Ryan a superstar that would be great

Start of last season he had 10+10 for 20 points in his first 19 games. We don't know exactly when the injury happened but later they said he'd been playing through it since some time in November. Very likely most if not all of the first 19 games were pre-injury. Recall, also, that he was on a new team, new coach and system, and wasn't yet settled in with his regular linemates (recall that they tried him with Spezza early on).

How much better could he be now that:
1. He is healthy
2. Will most likely play with Turris/MacArthur from the first scrimmage in camp.
3. Will likely get more ice time (as the Turris line is now clearly the top line).
4. Will likely get more PP ice time (with Spezza gone).

10 goals in 19 games translates to 43 over 82 games. That was *without* Spezza dishing him the puck (except for, what was it, three games?)

And he's clearly still sore about Burke's "can't spell intense" comments (he mentioned it again in a recent tweet). Last year, with the sports hernia, he could not really do as much as he wanted to prove his critics wrong. He's going to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Any news on a bobby rye contract?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hf guy says says looking at 6.5 x 5 for ryan and 5 x 6 for MacArthur

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:Hf guy says says looking at 6.5 x 5 for ryan and 5 x 6 for MacArthur

I'd be ok with both of those numbers. Mac's looks a little high, but it's definitely reasonable.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:Hf guy says says looking at 6.5 x 5 for ryan and 5 x 6 for MacArthur

Ryan at $6.5 mil would be fantastic. Kinda sets the bar for the team, too, since really no one should be getting more $$$ than Karlsson.

The MacArthur deal is a little more scary.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I could see why ryan would want less years so he could cash in on more later but I'm surprised he's get only 6.5.
MacArthur at 5 for 6? That's insane. On a long term he should get less like 4-4.5 per. He had a great season but he's a 20 goal guy on most seasons

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 19 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 43 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum