GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+16
Hoags
22_4_ever
Cap'n Clutch
dennycrane
tim1_2
spader
rooneypoo
shabbs
LeCaptain
wprager
Ev
Flo The Action
NEELY
sandysensfan
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 66 of 67]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:Boychuk deal was for two 2nd rounders plus a conditional pick.

Hmm. That's a steep price. We have 2 2015 2nd rounders, but I'm not sure I'd want to give them up for Boychuk. Be easier to swallow if he had an extension of some kind already in place.

Much too steep for a guy like that.

He was asked if he would consider going back to the Bruins as a UFA and he said "I wouldn't close that door."  And Garth gave up 2 2nds for that?  (I believe they don't get the conditional pick if he's traded within the Conference?)

That's a steep price for sure. I get the idea behind the trade, but for a relatively one dimensional guy with no contract? That's too much in my eyes. They can't draft very well though, I guess trying to make the playoffs is more important.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Isles are loaded with prospects. Those trades were clear wins for them.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Meh. Boychuk was expensive. Leddy was cheap though.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Huh? Leeddy cost more than boychuk. Pokka was the best piece traded

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Don't know that much about pokka. He seems like a decent player, but I'd give a prospect like that for leddy without hesitation.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

2 2nds from what could be the best draft in a decade - or it sounds like at least 08 - is a scary 'win now' proposition IMO. And I'm not sure the isles are anywhere near winning into the top 8, let alone a cup.

That's the way I look at the boychuk trade. Leddy I see more as a 'we have a ton of these d prospects, lets turn one into an NHL player. I like it better because, as you say, it deals with a position of strength and turns it into an NHL player under control.

The two seconds is the same as a first in the 24-30 range - which is a lot for a ufa especially considering the upcoming draft.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:Don't know that much about pokka.  He seems like a decent player, but I'd give a prospect like that for leddy without hesitation.

I'm not following you. That's exactly what I said they didn't need the prospect or the picks. But looking at the two trades, leddy easily cost more given that actual players were returned. Picks are picks. Next years draft is good but its the sane as all drafts in the second and later.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

And no I wouldn't say two seconds is the same as a late first. Quality over quantity

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Don't know that much about pokka.  He seems like a decent player, but I'd give a prospect like that for leddy without hesitation.

I'm not following you. That's exactly what I said they didn't need the prospect or the picks. But looking at the two trades, leddy easily cost more given that actual players were returned. Picks are picks. Next years draft is good but its the sane as all drafts in the second and later.

I think this draft will have a ton of rock solid prospects in the 2nd round. I get what you're saying about prospects to picks, but I find 2 2nd rounders in a deep, deep draft to be really steep for a pending ufa. I could easily be wrong obviously, but that was my initial reaction. While at the same time I look at pokka as collateral damage in getting leddy, who's young and under contract.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
Ev wrote:

I think this draft will have a ton of rock solid prospects in the 2nd round. I get what you're saying about prospects to picks, but I find 2 2nd rounders in a deep, deep draft to be really steep for a pending ufa. I could easily be wrong obviously, but that was my initial reaction.  While at the same time  I look at pokka as collateral damage in getting leddy, who's young and under contract.

I don't know any of the prospects that went in the Leddy deal except a tiny bit about Nilsson. Brennan is a point-per-game Dman in the AHL though. Is he a 4A player, or is he about to break out? Looks like he was Leafs property for a year (and scored 72 points in 76 games for the Marlies).

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:MTL just traded Budaj to WIN for Tangradi (AHLer).

Clearing Budaj out to make space for Tokarski makes all kind of sense of me, but I have no idea why anyone would want Budaj on their roster. Hutchinson certainly has more upside.

I don't know how Winnipeg thinks that adding Budaj to Pavelec somehow helps their team.  Winnipeg needs another starter to backup Pavelec for when he crumbles.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Think they are giving Pavalec a chance to show his worth without the thought of someone else pushing him in the lineup. This also gives Hutchinson a bunch of games in the AHL, you want a potential #1 guy playing games not sitting on the bench.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

NHL regular season starts on Wednesday...

#DropThePuck

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Ev wrote:

Probably true but any assets you have going into the 2015 draft is a bonus and having draft picks where you can move up and really get the player you like is super important to any team. NYI giving up all these picks and players is a panic move because they don't have their 2015 1st. They need to make the playoffs.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I think the Islanders are just afraid to lose Eichel/McDavid to Buffalo so they loaded up.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

massive desperation = garth snow on his way out? I know wang sold part of the business and is set to sell even more to the same guy. maybe the other guy isn't a huge fan of garth? he's probably smelling the fire under his Donkey

NEELY

Mod
Mod

For sure this is a hail mary but Snow... saving face is what he wants to do, that's it.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:For sure this is a hail mary but Snow... saving face is what he wants to do, that's it.

I don't mind Garth Snow. He's done a good job trading down to add picks and they managed to pick some decent prospects which they're now turning into young NHL players, while hanging on to a few blue chippers. Plus he was innovative in buying free agency years before anyone else did even though he bet on the wrong player(s).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 66 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum