GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Predict Spezza's return

+14
Flo The Action
tim1_2
Cap'n Clutch
LeCaptain
DefenceWinsChampionships
Hoags
shabbs
dennycrane
SeawaySensFan
spader
sandysensfan
Ev
NEELY
PTFlea
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 12]

31Predict Spezza's return - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict Spezza's return Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:06 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I actually think it's done before we sign any UFA. Not only does it take care of your own, but it shows the NHL and the players who are free agents that we're cutting the fat, but keeping the steak, so come on down.

32Predict Spezza's return - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict Spezza's return Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:07 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:I actually think it's done before we sign any UFA.  Not only does it take care of your own, but it shows the NHL and the players who are free agents that we're cutting the fat, but keeping the steak, so come on down.

That's a solid point.

33Predict Spezza's return - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict Spezza's return Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:27 pm

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
No, no.  There's no need to drag it out at all.  If it's not done July 1, then at the latest July 3rd.  You want to put pen to paper immediately, there's no excuse for them not to have a number in mind and be able to agree on it relatively quickly.

Chances are each side has a different number in mind and they'd have to agree on it which may not happen overnight.  I'm guessing term is easy (the max 8).

Amazing that there hasn't been a single leak on the progress(or lack thereof).

34Predict Spezza's return - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict Spezza's return Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:57 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
Ev wrote:and now they're getting ripped by people like Yost for not trading him in-conference
 Facepalm

Send him out West ideally... but if there's a deal that's too good to turn down from the East... gotta consider it, and I'm sure Murray would.

To me, this is all mind games and tactics. As it stands, if an Eastern team calls, Murray is in a position to say, "I'm not willing to trade him in-conference, so your offer would have to be impressive to change my mind."

35Predict Spezza's return - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict Spezza's return Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:03 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:At least Sandy's coming around though, it's infuriating that people are ripping the team and Melnyk before he's even allowed to spend lol.  I mean...what do they want him to do right now?  Sign Spezza even though his coach and GM disagree?  What kind of fools do we have as fans?

Who said that? The only "foolish" thing I've heard is that Melnyk is a cheap Diddle and it cost us Alfie, for starters. And it did.

We'll see how cheap Melnyk is when it matters... if Ryan and MacArthur both walk then I will jump on that ship with you about the budget but until then IMO it's been solid managerial decisions thus far.  Alfie was more than money and everyone knows that.

Hemsky leaving, big deal.  Spezza getting traded is 100% the right move for so many reasons.  If Methot moves it's because he isn't worth 5 plus million after this year, if Anderson moves it's because Lehner is ready.  Ryan and MacArthur not being resigned would be a stake through the heart of the organization though.

Agreed. We don't know what went on behind closed doors. It seems likely to me that Alfie knew he wanted to play in Detroit when he said, "Probably not." We can't blame Melnyk if he didn't give Murray a number to stay under, and we don't know that he did that.

Honestly, I believe the reports that say that Murray made an offer, and the next call he got from Alfie's camp was the, "He's going to Detroit," call.

There's so much speculation and so many people are guessing and calling it fact that we don't have a clear picture. He's gone. Get over it. :crossarms: 

36Predict Spezza's return - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict Spezza's return Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:40 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Here's the issue. We've got roughly $39M in player salaries locked in next season. This does not include Spezza (trade), Gryba, Hoffman, Lehner (RFAs), and Hemsky, Michalek, Kassian (UFAs).

We have 9/12 forwards positions filled (Ryan, MacArthur, Turris, Zib, Stone, Neil, Smith, Condra, Greening)
We have 7/6 defensive positions filled (Karl, Phillips, Methot, Boro, Wiercioch, Ceci, Cowen)
Still have 1 forward, 1 dman, and 1 goalie position to fill.

The cap is expected to be around $70M which means we're roughly $31M under the cap, barely over the cap floor. Our RFA's will probably cost a total of $3-4M more than what they made last year (predominantly Lehner), and I imagine we will be taking $5-6M back in player salaries for Spezza. I still project us to be approximately $20M under the cap floor which is an absolute embarrassment to this fan base. I don't expect things to be good in Ottawa next season, and I also expect a lot of change this summer and likely change that will see us miss the playoffs for a 2nd straight season.

The organization has the ability to do a lot of right this off-season. We have the cap, the players, and the prospects required to make big personnel changes but it's just not going to happen. This will probably be Melnyk's last year of owning the Sens unless he suddenly finds some money to throw back into the franchise. Melnyk can rectify this all by going after elite players via UFA and trade but Ottawa just doesn't seem like a desirable market, and I have a feeling we're going into October with an un-signed Bobby Ryan and a very upset Erik Karlsson.

37Predict Spezza's return - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict Spezza's return Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:42 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

They're not going to be 20 million under the cap. More like 7-10.

Relax.

38Predict Spezza's return - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict Spezza's return Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:46 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Here's the issue. We've got roughly $39M in player salaries locked in next season. This does not include Spezza (trade), Gryba, Hoffman, Lehner (RFAs), and Hemsky, Michalek, Kassian (UFAs).

We have 9/12 forwards positions filled (Ryan, MacArthur, Turris, Zib, Stone, Neil, Smith, Condra, Greening)
We have 7/6 defensive positions filled (Karl, Phillips, Methot, Boro, Wiercioch, Ceci, Cowen)
Still have 1 forward, 1 dman, and 1 goalie position to fill.

The cap is expected to be around $70M which means we're roughly $31M under the cap, barely over the cap floor. Our RFA's will probably cost a total of $3-4M more than what they made last year (predominantly Lehner), and I imagine we will be taking $5-6M back in player salaries for Spezza. I still project us to be approximately $20M under the cap floor which is an absolute embarrassment to this fan base. I don't expect things to be good in Ottawa next season, and I also expect a lot of change this summer and likely change that will see us miss the playoffs for a 2nd straight season.

The organization has the ability to do a lot of right this off-season. We have the cap, the players, and the prospects required to make big personnel changes but it's just not going to happen. This will probably be Melnyk's last year of owning the Sens unless he suddenly finds some money to throw back into the franchise.  Melnyk can rectify this all by going after elite players via UFA and trade but Ottawa just doesn't seem like a desirable market, and I have a feeling we're going into October with an un-signed Bobby Ryan and a very upset Erik Karlsson.

But that's impossible. Literally impossible.

You list Ryan, Turris, MacArthur, Stone, Zibanejad, Neil, Condra, Greening, Smith as the forwards under contract - that's 9 forwards. You list Hoffman as an RFA in need of a contract, we'll see if Ottawa's the place. Even if it is, you're missing an entire 2nd line or a 2B line. In this NHL if you go into the season with a crap 3rd line, you needn't bother even showing up. But the good news is, there's no chance they let it twist in the wind like that. As you say, we're below the cap floor, there are spots to be filled even after the Spezza trade and there's a large infusion of TV revenue money.

I guess...they could re-sign Hoffman, put Lazar as the 3C and cheap out and put Condra there as the placeholder, but again, if we do that, then you have every right to get upset. As it stands now, there's basically no way they can even dream of doing that.

39Predict Spezza's return - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict Spezza's return Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:03 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:Nashville on Spezza's NTL according to Dreger.  So we know he won't be going to Nashville, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, and Winnipeg.  I would probably throw Buffalo in there too along with NYI.

I saw this tweet:

FLA, CBJ, NSH, NYI all apparently on Jason Spezza's no-trade list, per Dreger.

So if the Canadian rumors were correct, it would be:

FLA
CBJ
NSH
NYI
CGY
EDM
VAN
WPG

at least

I read that Tor and Mtl are also on the list.
Diddle I wish he would waive to EDM. We could get their 3rd overall.

40Predict Spezza's return - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict Spezza's return Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:24 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Mark Spector sees Anaheim as a good fit for a Spezza trade with the Sens...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/why-the-ducks-will-deal-for-spezza-not-kesler/

41Predict Spezza's return - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict Spezza's return Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:35 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

ANyone here has seen Ho-Sang play? Some question marks about character but skill looks great. Skates like the wind. Having a line like Zibanejad Lazar Ho-Sang would look a lot like Colorado's kid line.
I'm asking because there's a big chance we get our 10th overall pick back IMO.

42Predict Spezza's return - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict Spezza's return Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:41 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hi sang won't go in the first IMO. far better players at 10. One dimensional and poor character.

43Predict Spezza's return - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict Spezza's return Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:48 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

so what''s wrong with his character> Because if it's immaturity I dont give a Diddle.

44Predict Spezza's return - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict Spezza's return Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:30 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

He's a Richard. He's basically a spezza, only caring about dangles and how many points he puts up.

45Predict Spezza's return - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict Spezza's return Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:29 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I predict a bounty of riches.

Or, a mid round first, a third liner that can push for top six minutes and a some what interesting forward prospect.

If I keep my answer vague then I can claim victory in this Smile

- Unknown Author

46Predict Spezza's return - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict Spezza's return Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:32 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Id Dater is to be believed than it looks like O'Reilly is going to be traded and traded very soon before teams can actually talk to UFA's and RFA's.  Is there a deal to be made around O'Reilly and Spezza?  I think the Sens need to add a D man without question in any deal involving O'Reilly.

Spezza and Cowen

for

O'Reailly and McGinn?

47Predict Spezza's return - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict Spezza's return Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:49 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Id Dater is to be believed than it looks like O'Reilly is going to be traded and traded very soon before teams can actually talk to UFA's and RFA's.  Is there a deal to be made around O'Reilly and Spezza?  I think the Sens need to add a D man without question in any deal involving O'Reilly.

Spezza and Cowen

for

O'Reailly and McGinn?

Aren't there enough Cs in COL already? Might be a deal to be made with Cowen + something else? But that's a discussion for another thread since this one is to "Predict Spezza's return."

48Predict Spezza's return - Page 3 Empty Re: Predict Spezza's return Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:58 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Colorado had interest in Spezza before the deadline so it could be part of it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum