GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

LAST GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Pittsburgh Penguins :: 7:30pm ET :: Sun. Apr. 13th, 2014

+6
spader
Ev
SensHulk
tim1_2
wprager
shabbs
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Damn straight...

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Spezza with 3 GWG in his last four games.  Maybe they should hypnotize him at the start of the year to think they've already been eliminated.

Gwgs are not important

spader

All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:Spezza with 3 GWG in his last four games.  Maybe they should hypnotize him at the start of the year to think they've already been eliminated.

Gwgs are not important

Someone is in a trolling mood.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

How so? Spezza gets a GWG because he was the last sen to score, for example, in the game before last...how is that amazing? It's not like it's a clutch goal or anything

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

3 MGWG

(Meaningless Game Winning Goals)

When you want to win a game that means nothing, he's your man.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:3 MGWG

(Meaningless Game Winning Goals)

When you want to win a game that means nothing, he's your man.

Pretty sure beating the Leafs was a big deal. Until Spezza scored the game winner.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:How so? Spezza gets a GWG because he was the last sen to score, for example, in the game before last...how is that amazing? It's not like it's a clutch goal or anything

you're thinking of hemsky.  Spezza actually did score the game winner when the game was tied 1-1 in the third period against the isles.  But say we create a scenario where you were correct and spezza did score as the last sen and it just happened to be the game winner because the opposition scored after....kinda proves that spezza's statpadding can (gasp!) be the difference maker in the end????? Ahhhhh! Vertigo

EDIT: Just realized you probably meant the NYR game last saturday. Even so....my point remains

Last edited by Michallica on Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The GWG stat is a funny one, as you don't know it will be the GWG until after the game is over... so, it's just a goal.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:The GWG stat is a funny one, as you don't know it will be the GWG until after the game is over... so, it's just a goal.

Yeah but it also proves that no goal is ever 'useless' even if it is spezza scoring it

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Lehner goes:

https://twitter.com/Syl_St_Laurent/status/455456177246466048

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Michallica wrote:
shabbs wrote:The GWG stat is a funny one, as you don't know it will be the GWG until after the game is over... so, it's just a goal.

Yeah but it also proves that no goal is ever 'useless' even if it is spezza scoring it
Well, you could argue that that if a team is down 10-1 with less than a 1 minute to go and they score, that goal is technically "useless". Wink

Reminds me of Heatbag, who would always seem to score goals when the game was no longer close - we'd either be up by 4 or down by 4 and he's pot one in.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:

Yes the goals are important, I meant it it not important that they are gwgs

NEELY

Mod
Mod

At the end of the day do people trust what Spezza is doing right now?  Is this going to be the Spezza for say 60 plus games next year?  Do people trust that Spezza is going to be healthy next year?  Not only next year but for 4, 5, 6 more seasons?  Do people really believe a Spezza lead team is going to turn the corner with him at the helm?

He's had a good last stretch but guess what?  Nothing that happened after they lost to the Islanders mattered.  When the games matter Spezza was either hurt or ineffective and the Sens lost.  Is that someone you can commit to long term as the leader of that young team?  IMO no, not even close and all he did down the stretch was increase his trade value.  

Best hope for the Sens is that St.Louis bombs (and it looks like they will) and they pay out the a** for him.  If they lose in the first round you can bet Miller won't be back and the Blues will have a 1st round pick (25th or 26th overall so not great) that could be had.  If St.Louis bombs you can bet they will be offering the world for Spezza.

Spezza and Greening for Berglund, Paajarvi, Rattie, and the 1st.

Best case scenario is Spezza for Schwartz but there is no way the Blues move him IMO.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:
Michallica wrote:

It's open to perception I guess. Personally I like GWG stat, shows me a guy scores and figures in the game decision. However, I do agree that GWG =/ clutch

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Michallica wrote:
Ev wrote:
Michallica wrote:

It's open to perception I guess.  Personally I like GWG stat, shows me a guy scores and figures in the game decision.  However, I do agree that GWG =/ clutch

GWG stat is flawed for sure. If you win 6-1 how important is that 2nd goal? Again Spezza passes the stat test but does he pass the eye test? IMO no and that's all Ev is saying here.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:At the end of the day do people trust what Spezza is doing right now?  Is this going to be the Spezza for say 60 plus games next year?  Do people trust that Spezza is going to be healthy next year?  Not only next year but for 4, 5, 6 more seasons?  Do people really believe a Spezza lead team is going to turn the corner with him at the helm?

He's had a good last stretch but guess what?  Nothing that happened after they lost to the Islanders mattered.  When the games matter Spezza was either hurt or ineffective and the Sens lost.  Is that someone you can commit to long term as the leader of that young team?  IMO no, not even close and all he did down the stretch was increase his trade value.  

Best hope for the Sens is that St.Louis bombs (and it looks like they will) and they pay out the a** for him.  If they lose in the first round you can bet Miller won't be back and the Blues will have a 1st round pick (25th or 26th overall so not great) that could be had.  If St.Louis bombs you can bet they will be offering the world for Spezza.

Spezza and Greening for Berglund, Paajarvi, Rattie, and the 1st.

Best case scenario is Spezza for Schwartz but there is no way the Blues move him IMO.

Better hope Hitchcock gets fired as well, tend to shift focus in style of play which makes spezza more attractive. Will Bmurr have the balls? I thought he would but I'm definitely worried about zibanejad, and i wonder whatever recently happened to him affects the spezza move....at least till next trade deadline.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
Michallica wrote:
Ev wrote:
Michallica wrote:

It's open to perception I guess.  Personally I like GWG stat, shows me a guy scores and figures in the game decision.  However, I do agree that GWG =/ clutch

GWG stat is flawed for sure.  If you win 6-1 how important is that 2nd goal?   Again Spezza passes the stat test but does he pass the eye test?  IMO no and that's all Ev is saying here.

How is the second goal not important then? It proves that the goal being scored isn't just stat padding....you can argue the 5th, and 6th goal is stat padding until the other team comes back to score 3 unanswered. Then is it stat padding? Like I said, open to perception, it's not the first thing I look at when examining a player's worth but it's a good stat nonetheless.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Full disclosure: I'm not advocating or saying spezza is 'clutch' in any way shape or form. He's not and he doesn't pass the 'eye' test either. A much better argument I think is did he figure into the GWG column much before we were pretty much eliminated? That answer is definitely NO

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum