GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Toronto Maple Leafs :: 7:00pm ET :: Sat. Feb. 1st, 2014

+10
Vandelay
PTFlea
Oglethorpe
Flo The Action
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
Ev
wprager
shabbs
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 11]

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:So no further action for Kadri then...

Business as usual in the Big Smoke.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:You can always do something to make yourself noticed and establish some sort momentum or game plan.  That hit changed everything and Spezza as the captain as to either make a play (which he's paid to do) or do something out of the ordinary and say "I'm here guys, lets go".  Yah, he's too slow for 5 on 5 hockey and on the road teams feast on his line because you are almost guaranteed an odd man rush with him on the ice but he still has to show he gives a damn.

Spezza is the captain and people forget about that because he has been embarrassingly bad 5 on 5 all year, he needs to step up in one form or another.  I don't want to say he doesn't care because I don't think that's the case but he refuses to do anything that he's not comfortable doing... that could be standing in front of the net, throwing a punch, back checking, something.  Fact is he only works hard at what he's good at and that's shooting the puck, working the 1/2 wall, or trying to make a play when he has the puck.  That's all well and good but that's about 25% of the game being played and there's 75% more than he just refuses to play.  

I won't get into the Phillips things because I think everyone knows he has lost a step but fact is his role is minor compared to Spezza.  Until they move on from Spezza this team will just keep spinning it's tires and Spezza's bad habits will trickle down to everyone else who will get sh*t on for doing the exact same thing.  Spezza isn't a cancer but he's ailment that needs to be removed from the Sens organization.  

If they move forward next year with Spezza as the captain they may as well just tell everyone they are ok with mediocrity.
or missing the playoffs. hell maybe they do want the 1st overall next year.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:So no further action for Kadri then...

Business as usual in the Big Smoke.
 Nod 

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Sooo my thoughts on this debacle.....

We got jobbed with that non-call on kadri. Sens getting called for all the chintzy penalties and how that kadri hit was not a penalty in the refs eyes (or they missed it) is unacceptable. We had zero PPs at that point in the game as well and that call is not even marginal, it's called all the bloody time. Minimum 2-min boarding call.

What also infuriated me was Mr. Anderson and his comments. STFU and make a damn save. The game was 2-2 and this asswipe of a goalie buries his team mates while ignoring that he could have possibly made some saves. Just don't come out and say Dung even if you didn't have a chance on the goals.

And finally....what is it with the ottawa senators franchise and intestinal fortitude? Why can't these guys ever play 'mad' and with a chip on their shoulder? We lost the cup finals in large part to the ducks getting pissed off with alfie shooting the puck at neidermeyer. That game 4 was tied 2-2 at the end of the 2nd period when that play happened. Why this franchise has never come to play for their team mates is beyond me at this point. Same Dung in 2003 game 7......couldn't win it for a dying roger neilson yet the devils came back and won the game for a crying joe niewendyk who got injured in the game.

/rant

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Michallica wrote:Sooo my thoughts on this debacle.....

We got jobbed with that non-call on kadri.  Sens getting called for all the chintzy penalties and how that kadri hit was not a penalty in the refs eyes (or they missed it) is unacceptable.  We had zero PPs at that point in the game as well and that call is not even marginal, it's called all the bloody time.  Minimum 2-min boarding call.

What also infuriated me was Mr. Anderson and his comments.  STFU and make a damn save.  The game was 2-2 and this asswipe of a goalie buries his team mates while ignoring that he could have possibly made some saves.  Just don't come out and say Dung even if you didn't have a chance on the goals.

And finally....what is it with the ottawa senators franchise and intestinal fortitude?  Why can't these guys ever play 'mad' and with a chip on their shoulder?  We lost the cup finals in large part to the ducks getting pissed off with alfie shooting the puck at neidermeyer.  That game 4 was tied 2-2 at the end of the 2nd period when that play happened.  Why this franchise has never come to play for their team mates is beyond me at this point.  Same Dung in 2003 game 7......couldn't win it for a dying roger neilson yet the devils came back and won the game for a crying joe niewendyk who got injured in the game.  

/rant

Look who is leading the charge right now. Neil gets it, he's been here for over 10 years and look what he did on Saturday night. Right now this team is like a guy with a pacemaker, it's heart is fine as long as everything is going according to plan but one little thing goes wrong and it could be a disaster. Time to get a new heart though and that's getting rid of Spezza. You need guys that give a damn and show it, Spezza might care but not enough to be considered the leader. Saturday night, HNIC, Leafs/Sens, both playing to get into the playoffs, that was Spezza's chance to make a statement... he made one and it's couldn't have been worse.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I'm more worried about how they folded and gave up after the Kadri hit. Anderson's comments don't help but he may be trying to direct team focus to their own internal problems rather than blame the refs for the loss. Anderson hasn't been all that good but he has been hung out to dry many times as well so there's probably some frustration in there.

It's been a long time since they beat the Leafs on HNIC so I expected a loss. I don't think it's a leadership because when Alfie was here we'd Dung the bed against them as well.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:I'm more worried about how they folded and gave up after the Kadri hit.  Anderson's comments don't help but he may be trying to direct team focus to their own internal problems rather than blame the refs for the loss.  Anderson hasn't been all that good but he has been hung out to dry many times as well so there's probably some frustration in there.

It's been a long time since they beat the Leafs on HNIC so I expected a loss.  I don't think it's a leadership because when Alfie was here we'd Dung the bed against them as well.

It's not a leadership thing because Neil showed what leadership and an understanding of the situation can do for a team. It's the captain and to a lesser extent a mentally fragile #1 goaltender. Spezza 5 on 5 is killing the Sens.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
It's not a leadership thing because Neil showed what leadership and an understanding of the situation can do for a team.  It's the captain and to a lesser extent a mentally fragile #1 goaltender.  Spezza 5 on 5 is killing the Sens.

Team isn't going to turn a corner until both Anderson and Spezza are gone. Sometimes it seems like a lost season because it doesn't matter what they do when they have such anchors dragging the team down. Part of me hopes they miss the playoffs big time so Murray is forced to trade the dead weight on this team, would certainly be more hopeful for next season although I feel dirty for even thinking this.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Anderson is a small problem that could turn into a larger one for sure and IMO he's a guy that will get moved in the off season to the Panthers when Thomas retires and they are left with no one. Easy resign for them as well and gives them stability.

Spezza, yah until they move on from him be it a trade or simply letting his contract run out the Sens will just flutter around where they are, in a good year they might finish 2nd or 3rd in the division but will lose out to the teams where everyone has bought in. Does anyone really view him as the captain? Does anyone really believe any success the Sens have had this season isn't because of Turris and Karlsson? They need to move on from Spezza, it hasn't worked for 10 years with him at his peak so it's not going to work in the next 5-10 years going forward.

Murray doesn't have the balls to do it.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Anderson is a small problem that could turn into a larger one for sure and IMO he's a guy that will get moved in the off season to the Panthers when Thomas retires and they are left with no one.  Easy resign for them as well and gives them stability.

Spezza, yah until they move on from him be it a trade or simply letting his contract run out the Sens will just flutter around where they are, in a good year they might finish 2nd or 3rd in the division but will lose out to the teams where everyone has bought in.  Does anyone really view him as the captain?  Does anyone really believe any success the Sens have had this season isn't because of Turris and Karlsson?  They need to move on from Spezza, it hasn't worked for 10 years with him at his peak so it's not going to work in the next 5-10 years going forward.  

Murray doesn't have the balls to do it.

Murray had the balls to move the most beloved player in Sens history, "Mighty" Mike "Fishlander" Fisher. You're being silly now.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Fisher could be moved because he doesn't have the pure talent Spezza does nor the ability to be a #1 center. Tough move to make from a marketing stand point but easy to make from an on ice and performance stand point.

Spezza is a different animal and yah, I don't think Murray has the balls. He's the guy that had to convince Spezza to stay when he asked to be shipped out of town.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Fisher was still a useful player at the time and hadn't declined much at the time and he also didn't have an NTC so that was easier.  Plus he had to be traded to dump salary, wasn't really Murray's choice. I believe Murray has secveral interested team

Spezza's is replaceable from within now, team is better without him (worst case just as good) so it's much easier to swallow and he's nowhere near as liked as Fisher was.

The difficulty is moving such a big cap hit contract and his NMC, plus we don't know if it's still money in/money out due to budget so Murray may have to accept someone's cap dump in return.

Can't see it happening until he's in his last year at the deadline as a rental, maybe this offseason who knows?

Last edited by Hoags on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I am just stating my opinion on the matter, it isn't fact but again I don't think Murray has the balls to make the move that's needed. He's still looking for a winger for Spezza when there is no winger that will help with that.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Anderson's not wrong there though, Leafs always seemed to have a guy coming into the slot wide open for a quickie.

He was wrong in airing it out in public.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:Anderson's not wrong there though, Leafs always seemed to have a guy coming into the slot wide open for a quickie.

He was wrong in airing it out in public.

Exactly.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah Anderson should save those kind of comments for the dressing room for sure.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:I'm more worried about how they folded and gave up after the Kadri hit.  Anderson's comments don't help but he may be trying to direct team focus to their own internal problems rather than blame the refs for the loss.  Anderson hasn't been all that good but he has been hung out to dry many times as well so there's probably some frustration in there.

It's been a long time since they beat the Leafs on HNIC so I expected a loss.  I don't think it's a leadership because when Alfie was here we'd Dung the bed against them as well.

Exactly and this was the point of my rant.  Was spezza to blame in game 7 vs the devils?  It's been happening throughout the years and I just don't know what it is.  Right now maybe it's spezza but I just don't see enough of our guys playing for each other....ever in the history of the sens.  Hell that 2007 cup final team didn't show up FOR alfie after he shot the puck at neids, but the ducks showed up for that Donkey clown.  

I guess bottom line is we lack real heart in our leadership core and hate to say it, it isn't just one guy at this point. Coaching, management...they all tie in

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:
Michallica wrote:
And finally....what is it with the ottawa senators franchise and intestinal fortitude?  Why can't these guys ever play 'mad' and with a chip on their shoulder?  We lost the cup finals in large part to the ducks getting pissed off with alfie shooting the puck at neidermeyer.  That game 4 was tied 2-2 at the end of the 2nd period when that play happened.  Why this franchise has never come to play for their team mates is beyond me at this point.  Same Dung in 2003 game 7......couldn't win it for a dying roger neilson yet the devils came back and won the game for a crying joe niewendyk who got injured in the game.  

/rant

Look who is leading the charge right now.  Neil gets it, he's been here for over 10 years and look what he did on Saturday night.  Right now this team is like a guy with a pacemaker, it's heart is fine as long as everything is going according to plan but one little thing goes wrong and it could be a disaster.  Time to get a new heart though and that's getting rid of Spezza.  You need guys that give a damn and show it, Spezza might care but not enough to be considered the leader.  Saturday night, HNIC, Leafs/Sens, both playing to get into the playoffs, that was Spezza's chance to make a statement... he made one and it's couldn't have been worse.

NEELY, piss off with the Spezza thing, OK? The two things Michallica mentioned happened when Alfie was Captain.

Saturday night, Spezza may have been -3 but Turris and MacArthur were -2 and Ryan was -3. Yeah, Turris' line was "better". Karlsson wasn't having a great game, either.

Greening led the team with 4 shots on goal playing on "playmaker" Spezza's line. Nor arguing that Spezza had a good game, but the thing is everyone was pretty bad. Neil wasn't good, just lucky. That first goal should never go in if the goalie is not picking his nose on the play and is actually paying attention. Nice assist on the second one but that was a bad pinch (?) by #51 and a clear 2-on-1, it's not like Neil had to battle through some tough checking. Nice pass, though. Third goal, well, that was a rugby scrum more than anything else.

As nice as it was for Neil to get a three point night, the team lost and what the team needed from him was some kind of pushback after the Kadri hit on Ceci. We don't need Neil to be a scorer, just as we don't need Spezza to be a fighter.

And what was PMac's strategy with Kassian? He could certainly have played more than 1:30. Why dress him if you're not going to use him?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum