GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

So long Alfie... What's next?

+15
spader
sandysensfan
NEELY
Flo The Action
Ev
SensHulk
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
Hoags
LeCaptain
Oglethorpe
TheAvatar
tim1_2
wprager
SeawaySensFan
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 23  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 23]

166So long Alfie... What's next?  - Page 12 Empty Re: So long Alfie... What's next? Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:00 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Alfie left a lot of money on the table over the years, taking hometeam discounts to play here. I guess Murray/Melnyk kind of thought that would happen one more time, whereas I guess Alfie thought that he would finally get market value on a one year deal. It's not like he had to take less cash so we'd have more cap space. He was asked to take less cash, AGAIN, because our owner's finances are in the toilet.

We brought Clarkson in to town to romance him for a day in some hope of signing him. What did we do to sign Alfie? We offered him $4M, rejected his offer of $6M and then left it at that. Then apparently we asked him what he wanted in terms of salary. Well, you dumb female parental unit diddlers, he already told you...$6M!

167So long Alfie... What's next?  - Page 12 Empty Re: So long Alfie... What's next? Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:15 pm

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

Both were playing hardball with each other and with very little time before free agency, they shouldn't have been.

Anyways, I really hope alfie comes back to town for a farewell tour and to properly say goodbye to the fans. Do his interviews, get his story out, whatever he's gotta do. It would go a long way in mending the relationship and quite frankly, ottawa fans deserve a proper goodbye. Tweets won't do.

168So long Alfie... What's next?  - Page 12 Empty Re: So long Alfie... What's next? Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:19 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mendes-on-senators-best-alfredsson-moments/

Great article from Mendes.

169So long Alfie... What's next?  - Page 12 Empty Re: So long Alfie... What's next? Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:25 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mendes-on-senators-best-alfredsson-moments/

Leaves a bit of a lump in the throat, don't it?

170So long Alfie... What's next?  - Page 12 Empty Re: So long Alfie... What's next? Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:26 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I see The Prages is having a nice conversation with the Matrix on twitter

171So long Alfie... What's next?  - Page 12 Empty Re: So long Alfie... What's next? Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:28 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mendes-on-senators-best-alfredsson-moments/

It does indeed. The man is a really good person. It's more of a loss for Ottawa than it is for the Senators.

172So long Alfie... What's next?  - Page 12 Empty Re: So long Alfie... What's next? Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:41 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

LeKing wrote:I see The Prages is having a nice conversation with the Matrix on twitter

A bit surprised. My comment was the last one about not mentioning MacArthur and he replied to it and not any of the others. You think it's because I alluded to Gen. Douglas MacArthur? You know, with Andy being a Yank and all.

173So long Alfie... What's next?  - Page 12 Empty Re: So long Alfie... What's next? Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:42 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Meh, a bit scrambled. "Moment" 9 talked about two separate events.

174So long Alfie... What's next?  - Page 12 Empty Re: So long Alfie... What's next? Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:46 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:Alfie left a lot of money on the table over the years, taking hometeam discounts to play here.  I guess Murray/Melnyk kind of thought that would happen one more time, whereas I guess Alfie thought that he would finally get market value on a one year deal.  It's not like he had to take less cash so we'd have more cap space.  He was asked to take less cash, AGAIN, because our owner's finances are in the toilet.  

We brought Clarkson in to town to romance him for a day in some hope of signing him.  What did we do to sign Alfie?  We offered him $4M, rejected his offer of $6M and then left it at that.  Then apparently we asked him what he wanted in terms of salary.  Well, you dumb female parental unit diddlers, he already told you...$6M!

Do you really think $6M x 2 is market value for a 40 year old who is a 2nd line player (in the second year of the deal? probably not)?

Also, he brought a lot to the city, but the city also brought a lot to him. I know there's not much of a market for it, so it's impossible to evaluate what it's worth, but if you truly wanted it, it would take a hell of a lot more than a couple million over a dozen years to get a whole city to hero-worship you.

175So long Alfie... What's next?  - Page 12 Empty Re: So long Alfie... What's next? Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:48 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

It does indeed.  The man is a really good person.  It's more of a loss for Ottawa than it is for the Senators.

I think that's the perfect way to describe it.

176So long Alfie... What's next?  - Page 12 Empty Re: So long Alfie... What's next? Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:52 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Alfie left a lot of money on the table over the years, taking hometeam discounts to play here.  I guess Murray/Melnyk kind of thought that would happen one more time, whereas I guess Alfie thought that he would finally get market value on a one year deal.  It's not like he had to take less cash so we'd have more cap space.  He was asked to take less cash, AGAIN, because our owner's finances are in the toilet.  

We brought Clarkson in to town to romance him for a day in some hope of signing him.  What did we do to sign Alfie?  We offered him $4M, rejected his offer of $6M and then left it at that.  Then apparently we asked him what he wanted in terms of salary.  Well, you dumb female parental unit diddlers, he already told you...$6M!

Do you really think $6M x 2 is market value for a 40 year old who is a 2nd line player (in the second year of the deal? probably not)?

Also, he brought a lot to the city, but the city also brought a lot to him. I know there's not much of a market for it, so it's impossible to evaluate what it's worth, but if you truly wanted it, it would take a hell of a lot more than a couple million over a dozen years to get a whole city to hero-worship you.

Alfie offered $6M for one year. Murray said that number probably didn't work, and then did not come back with a counter offer.

Also, Alfie never asked the city to worship him. That just happened because we all realized how awesome he was. I think part of the ADVANTAGE to leaving, in his eyes, is probably that he'll be under less pressure in Detroit, instead of having the entire population of a city watching his every move. He's a pretty humble guy, so all the hero worship stuff likely bothered him more than he let on.

177So long Alfie... What's next?  - Page 12 Empty Re: So long Alfie... What's next? Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:54 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

A "pretty humble guy" who said "F! No!" to $4.5M versus $5.5M?

178So long Alfie... What's next?  - Page 12 Empty Re: So long Alfie... What's next? Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:58 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:A "pretty humble guy" who said "F! No!" to $4.5M versus $5.5M?

I think the lowball offer just made him think twice. Ottawa had the opportunity right there to counter with 5.5 and they were waiting for Alfie to come down to their number.

Melnyk was hoping sentiment and nostalgia would save him a few bucks and it backfired. Alfie could have been more patient but he ran out of patience, I guess.

179So long Alfie... What's next?  - Page 12 Empty Re: So long Alfie... What's next? Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:01 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:

I think the lowball offer just made him think twice. Ottawa had the opportunity right there to counter with 5.5 and they were waiting for Alfie to come down to their number.

Melnyk was hoping sentiment and nostalgia would save him a few bucks and it backfired. Alfie could have been more patient but he ran out of patience, I guess.

Yeah that's a fair assessment I'd say.

180So long Alfie... What's next?  - Page 12 Empty Re: So long Alfie... What's next? Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:03 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

A pretty humble guy who got sick of leaving money on the table and taking home team discounts. This was our last chance to make up, just a little bit, for his years of dedication to the team. He left MILLIONS on the table in free agency previously, and we asked him to it AGAIN. We nickle-and-dimed him, not the other way around.

181So long Alfie... What's next?  - Page 12 Empty Re: So long Alfie... What's next? Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:05 pm

DirtyDave

Rookie
Rookie

I heard this morning that he asked for 12 m for two years. Where'd you hear the 4.5 and 5.5 from. I'm really trying to figure out what went wrong here.

182So long Alfie... What's next?  - Page 12 Empty Re: So long Alfie... What's next? Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:08 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Alfie had 10 70+ point seasons and never made over $5M a year.

183So long Alfie... What's next?  - Page 12 Empty Re: So long Alfie... What's next? Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:09 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DirtyDave wrote:

I heard this morning that he asked for 12 m for two years. Where'd you hear the 4.5 and 5.5 from. I'm really trying to figure out what went wrong here.

Initially discussions were for a two year deal, but then Alfie dropped it to a one year deal, $6M. Trying to save us some dough, again.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 23]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum