GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Toronto Maple Leafs @ Ottawa Senators - 7:00pm ET - Sat. Apr. 20th, 2013

+13
sandysensfan
TheAvatar
Cap'n Clutch
Oglethorpe
Number Twenty Nine
spader
Hoags
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
Ev
PTFlea
Hobiesens
wprager
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 8]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Guess where I'll be Saturday night!

GAME DAY: Toronto Maple Leafs @ Ottawa Senators - 7:00pm ET - Sat. Apr. 20th, 2013 P1020710

Hobiesens

Hobiesens
Sophomore
Sophomore

wprager wrote:Guess where I'll be Saturday night!

GAME DAY: Toronto Maple Leafs @ Ottawa Senators - 7:00pm ET - Sat. Apr. 20th, 2013 P1020710

Scalping tickets at Scotiabank Place? Sarcasm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Nah, these tickets can only be used by card-carryin', jersey-wearin', "Leafs Suck!" blarin' Sens fans.

Can't wait for Cowen to introduce himself to Kadri.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Anderson to start, naturally. I posted yesterday (from someone's tweet) that if Anderson plays the remaining games he will have played the same percentage of the season as Tom Barrasso did in the 1983-84 season, when he won the Vezina. Barrasso started 42 of 80 games (only 80 games in those days), or 52.5%. If he plays in the next 5 games Anderson will have a total of 25 games out of 48, which is 52.1%. Close enough?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

And 25 games also qualifies him for the Jennings (although it's safe to say that 25 games pro-rated to a 48-game season is really only 15 games. In case you're wondering, Bishop played only 13 games for the Sens, Lehner only 11 -- neither one of them is eligible.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Anderson to start, naturally. I posted yesterday (from someone's tweet) that if Anderson plays the remaining games he will have played the same percentage of the season as Tom Barrasso did in the 1983-84 season, when he won the Vezina. Barrasso started 42 of 80 games (only 80 games in those days), or 52.5%. If he plays in the next 5 games Anderson will have a total of 25 games out of 48, which is 52.1%. Close enough?

Meh....it's really getting hard to argue against Bobrovsky right now. Too bad, he would have been in the running in a huge way. I guess he might get a nomination if he plays the final 5 games and continues his ridiculous numbers, but...at this point it's all about finishing strong and prepping for the playoffs.

I would guess Bob, Niemi and then a fight for the third between Lundqvist, Rask, Crawford and maybe Anderson if he can finish strong.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Have to keep in mind who's playing in front of Anderson. Ottawa has 117 games played by rookie D-men, Columbus with 66.

Edit: I counted Benoit as a rookie, even though he is not, technically, due to his age.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

GAME DAY! GO SENS!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

How about a visitor's take on things -- here is the Leafs' Game Preview: http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/preview.htm?id=2012020663

MAPLE LEAFS (24-15-5) at SENATORS (24-14-6)

TV: CBC, NHLN-US

Last 10: Toronto 6-3-1; Ottawa 5-5-0

Season series: This is the fifth and final edition of the Battle of Ontario for the 2012-13 season. The Toronto Maple Leafs have won three of the first four, including the past two. They beat the Ottawa Senators at Scotiabank Place, 4-0, on March 30.

Big story: The Maple Leafs will know by puck drop if they will have a chance to clinch their first berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs since 2004 on Saturday night. It hinges on what the Winnipeg Jets do against the New York Islanders. If the Jets lose in regulation to the New York Islanders (3 p.m. ET), the Leafs will be able to clinch a playoff berth with a win over the Senators.

Ottawa can't clinch with a win, but it can move closer to securing a spot in the playoffs. It's also possible the Senators get Norris Trophy-winning defenseman Erik Karlsson back in the lineup soon. He had a full practice Friday.

Team Scope:

Maple Leafs: The Leafs have lost two in a row this week after a 9-1-4 stretch that dates back to March 16. They've been ugly losses, too.

The Washington Capitals beat Toronto, 5-1, on Tuesday. The New York Islanders topped the Leafs, 5-3, on Thursday.

"We're going to fix this," forward Joffrey Lupul said. "We're going to watch a lot of video [Friday] and we'll get back to basics and fix it."

Part of the Leafs' problem is Nazem Kadri, their second-leading scorer, has two assists in the past eight games. Mikhail Grabovski has three points in the past 12 games.

Senators: Earlier this month the skeptics were out, wondering if the Senators had run out of gas, if their remarkable run despite not having Jason Spezza (back) and Karlsson (Achilles) was coming to a premature end.

Not so fast.

Ottawa has won four in a row and has allowed only four goals in the process. The Senators even tamed the red-hot Capitals on Thursday with a 3-1 win.

Washington had won eight in a row coming into that game. Alex Ovechkin was held off the scoresheet.

And now comes the news that Karlsson's return could be on the horizon. He had a full practice on Friday and by the looks of it seemed like himself.

"He looks like Erik Karlsson," coach Paul MacLean said. "It's good for the team. His ability was evident."

Karlsson hasn't played since Feb. 13.

Who's hot: Despite the loss to the Islanders, Phil Kessel had assists on all three Toronto goals and has six goals and six assists over the past seven games. … Ottawa center Kyle Turris scored twice against the Capitals. Milan Michalek has points in all three games he's played since returning from injury.

Injury report: Toronto defenseman Carl Gunnarsson has missed the past three games with a lower-body injury. … Ottawa has been playing without both Spezza and Karlsson as well as Mike Hoffman (collarbone).

A good summary, very level-headed assessment, overall. However I see absolutely no mention of Cowen. Hopefully he'll do something to remind them. I'd love to see him lay on open-ice hit on Kadri, and then play that clip from the draft on the jumbotron: "Is that the kid you want? Well we're taking him."

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Interesting that the Leafs can clinch a spot before the puck even drops (Jets host the Islanders at 3PM), but the Sens can't, even though with a regulation win they could be ahead of the Leafs by 1 point *with* a game in hand. What a weird league.
EDIT: Well I bungled that up. The Leafs will only know whether they have a chance to clinch. A regulation loss by the Jets would mean that a win by the Leafs puts them in. Let's hope the Leafs don't clinch on SBP ice

With that said, here are the games of interest:

12:30 PM Pittsburgh @ Boston
Forget about catching them, but I'm always interested in seeing how many injuries those two can inflict on each other. Plus that whole city on lockdown thing.

1:00 PM Florida @ New Jersey
Believe it or not, the Devils are still not mathematically out of it. They have 5 games remaining and sit 8 games out. But their black-magic number is 2 -- if they lose in regulation, or Rangers win, or both of them lose in OT/SO then the Devils are out. Also of interest is whether Brodeur remains stuck at 666 wins.

3:00 PM New York Islanders @ Winnipeg
If the Jets lose in regulation then the Leafs have a chance to clinch. Islanders have been really hot of late and sit just 1 back of Ottawa. By puck drop they could be in 6th, dropping Ottawa to 7th.

7:00 PM Washington @ Montreal
We just stopped the Caps' winning streak; Montreal stopped their losing streak. Time for both teams to start another? Price had a nice rebound game, will it last? Washington cannot afford to lose with the Jets hot on their heels.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://blogues.lapresse.ca/stlaurent/2013/04/20/baiser-empoisonne/

Roughly translated. Last time he was at SBP Kadri scored a hattrick. Cherry then had Kadri with Orr and McLaren visit them in the booth after the game, and gave him a kiss on the ceheek (https://youtu.be/hbkH1r9XZJg, 14 second mark). Since that kiss Kadri has zero goals in 8 games.

He also mentions how the Sens have never beaten the Leafs when it counted. Well, tonight a win could deny them clinching a playoff berth for the first time since dinosaurs ruled the planet.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

"It's not panic, it's reality": http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=421229

That was the message Leafs coach Randy Carlyle delivered to his team in the wake of some of their worst hockey this season; a nine-period slide which has seen them drop two of three in tilted fashion, winning once on very good fortune, outshot by a distressing and revealing 107-64 margin.

Interesting quotes from McLaren, sounds like he is comparing Carlyle's style with Wilson's.

"When you can focus on only the negative and harp on it and criticize and beat guys down that just tightens up the mood more often than not," Fraser noted. "There's no reason why we should be happy with our performance the last few games, but there's zero reason why we should be attacking one another and critical. There's a point where you just have to take a step back, realize what you did poorly, but also on the flip side realize what we did so well to have that success [before]."

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What the hell kind of quote is this?

“We know how big this game is,” Kadri said. “We have to come out and take it to them.

“That doesn’t mean going out there looking to kill people and trying to cut off the heads of anyone you see. We just have to stick to our system.”

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Toronto/2013/04/19/20756611.html?cid=rsssportsslam!%20hockey

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:What the hell kind of quote is this?

“We know how big this game is,” Kadri said. “We have to come out and take it to them.

“That doesn’t mean going out there looking to kill people and trying to cut off the heads of anyone you see. We just have to stick to our system.”

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Toronto/2013/04/19/20756611.html?cid=rsssportsslam!%20hockey

Boy, this kid is a loser. I don't care how many points he puts up, he's a big fat loser.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I have to feed the baby, but go look up the story from the hockey news where Cody Eakins has to call Kadri's father to make him stop Cussing the dog. It's sad as heck that he needed that kind of thing to stop screwing around.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum