GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL CBA Talk

+18
DirtyDave
Oglethorpe
DefenceWinsChampionships
tim1_2
rooneypoo
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
Amnesia021
SeawaySensFan
spader
dennycrane
sandysensfan
Riprock
NEELY
wprager
shabbs
Ev
Hoags
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 34 of 67]

496NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:20 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

As of today, still no plans for any meetings between the NHL and NHLPA.

11 days to lockout...

497NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:21 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

I wouldn't use high school education as any indication as to someone's intelligence though. There are so many dumb HS grads, and there are a lot of people that are mature and wise well beyond their years and don't even need HS.

498NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:23 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Hmm, not sure what I would do if I were an NHL player faced with a lockout. On the one hand, you get a full year off to spend with family you barely spend time with. You could travel together, etc. On the other hand, sitting out from hockey for a full year will leave you out of shape and rusty.

499NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:25 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Riprock wrote:I wouldn't use high school education as any indication as to someone's intelligence though. There are so many dumb HS grads, and there are a lot of people that are mature and wise well beyond their years and don't even need HS.

Point being is education for the most part is directly related to people's understanding of certain subjects, jobs, etc. Does being a high school grad and a high school grad only make you dumb? No, it does mean you are uneducated though. You could be the smartest person in the world but may not know how to read if no one ever taught you.

Anyways, point being is these guys play hockey and not much else. They are guided by people who are in it for themselves and want to make money off the backs of the players. Look no further than Dany Heatley as a guy who has never thought for himself and the one time he did he killed his friend.

There are a lot more Heatley's out there than not in terms of professional athletes, and hell, Heatley went to university for a year.

500NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:26 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Riprock wrote:Hmm, not sure what I would do if I were an NHL player faced with a lockout. On the one hand, you get a full year off to spend with family you barely spend time with. You could travel together, etc. On the other hand, sitting out from hockey for a full year will leave you out of shape and rusty.

They also lose millions of dollars eh... average NHL career is about 4 years. That's 25% of your life time earning.

The players are being misguided here in a big way.

501NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:30 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I think you are being sarcastic in that last post.... right? Cause you said earlier most people could survive on one years average NHL salary.

502NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:39 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Riprock wrote:I think you are being sarcastic in that last post.... right? Cause you said earlier most people could survive on one years average NHL salary.

Most people could but a professional athletes life style might not allow it. Guaranteed their mortgage payments are a lot more than mine.

Point was though that 25% of the average players career will be over if the lockout goes on for the entire year, maybe more because all that will happen is the fringe NHLers that are in the 25-30 year old range may be looking elsewhere for employment because all the younger guys will have another year of development under their belts as well.

Anyway you look at it the only people who are directly involved in these CBA talks that will be hurt are the players. That's it. The billionaires will still be billionaires, the fans will still be fans, and everyone else will go on with their lives. The players however run the risk of the league failing because of poor economics, teams folding for the same reasons, younger players developing a year more and taking their jobs, and another year of millions lost to the players.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. The owners are obviously insane when it comes to spending money on their respective franchises but the players are the only ones that stand to lose if this goes on for any extended period of time.

Will I miss hockey? Absolutely but at least I can amuse myself without the NHL. There is OHL in Ottawa, there is CJHL, have some friends with kids who play AAA, I can sit and watch those games all day, no issue. I enjoy both NCAA and NFL football and that covers you for about 5 of the 7 days of the week as well. Most Canadians will do the same and a lot will come screaming back when hockey resumes. In the US? Revenues will drop right away, no question and they may never recover.

I said it before and I'll say it again, 50% of 5 billion in revenues is a lot more than 57% of 2.5 billion. Players obviously see the here and now because they are uneducated and in a lot of cases down right dumb.

503NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:52 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Just for fun...

If the average Canadian income is $46K, that's $3'833/month. On that salary, the typical mortgage approval is $211K.

For the average NHLer on a $2.4M salary, the monthly income is $200K, and they could get approved for an $11M home.

If you are an NHL player and for roughly half the year you are on the road, and you have a wife and 2-3 kids, you really do not need a mansion, so you could easily buy a $400-500K home, your typical 2,500 sq/ft, 4 bed, 3 bath type deal. You'd bank so much money, you could even live off the interest that $1M in a 4% interest account could accumulate.

504NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

My friends' brother was pretty much going to be a career AHLer, spending time with Syracuse and other teams, and he made most of his money in Europe. Now he's a millionnaire because he invested his money in real estate and land and owns a luxury housing building company.

505NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:56 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock wrote:My friends' brother was pretty much going to be a career AHLer, spending time with Syracuse and other teams, and he made most of his money in Europe. Now he's a millionnaire because he invested his money in real estate and land and owns a luxury housing building company.

Len Barrie? For real?

506NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:56 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Riprock wrote:Just for fun...

If the average Canadian income is $46K, that's $3'833/month. On that salary, the typical mortgage approval is $211K.

For the average NHLer on a $2.4M salary, the monthly income is $200K, and they could get approved for an $11M home.

If you are an NHL player and for roughly half the year you are on the road, and you have a wife and 2-3 kids, you really do not need a mansion, so you could easily buy a $400-500K home, your typical 2,500 sq/ft, 4 bed, 3 bath type deal. You'd bank so much money, you could even live off the interest that $1M in a 4% interest account could accumulate.

Tax brackets are way higher, property taxes are way higher, cost of living tends to be way higher, and unless they buy their vehicles outright (which is the worst investment a person can make economically speaking) then the bills will be tough to pay if they don't have a constant stream on income.

Not to mention they have to pay their agents, they have to pay certain taxes for playing in certain places, and other overhead crap people would never think of.

An NHLer doesn't even take home 1/2 their pay cheque after all their deductions.

507NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:59 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Riprock wrote:My friends' brother was pretty much going to be a career AHLer, spending time with Syracuse and other teams, and he made most of his money in Europe. Now he's a millionnaire because he invested his money in real estate and land and owns a luxury housing building company.

Len Barrie? For real?

No.

508NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:01 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Len Barrie? For real?

No.

Does he ever talk about the whole Tampa Bay thing? I can only imagine the stories he must have.

Munch

509NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:05 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Problem is, most hockey players aren't thinking like that. They're out there living it up, spending money on frivolous crap like blinged-out luxury cars, stoopid pricey shoes and other Dung and helping out family members and friends by giving them money, running up huge bar tabs etc... and getting involved in stupid business ventures... I'd say that a small percentage are making the wise choices and being smart with their money. But, maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully the athletes are getting better money advice these days.

510NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:06 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ron MacLean: No Lockout in 2012

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012/09/04/spf-nhl-nhlpa-cba-ron-maclean.html

511NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:07 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

shabbs wrote:

Problem is, most hockey players aren't thinking like that. They're out there living it up, spending money on frivolous crap like blinged-out luxury cars, stoopid pricey shoes and other Dung and helping out family members and friends by giving them money, running up huge bar tabs etc... and getting involved in stupid business ventures... I'd say that a small percentage are making the wise choices and being smart with their money. But, maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully the athletes are getting better money advice these days.

Mr Ray Emery is a good example of a guy who pissed it all away and will probably be a very sad story when he hits the age of 40. I know for sure he has pissed away millions.

512NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:08 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:

I think Tie Domi had mortgage payments of over 15 grand per month.

513NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:09 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:Ron MacLean: No Lockout in 2012

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012/09/04/spf-nhl-nhlpa-cba-ron-maclean.html

What's the difference between his opinion and Don Cherry who insists there will be one?

Unless one side caves there will be a lockout, plain and simple. Neither one are economists... they know hockey, that's it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 34 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum