GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL CBA Talk

+18
DirtyDave
Oglethorpe
DefenceWinsChampionships
tim1_2
rooneypoo
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
Amnesia021
SeawaySensFan
spader
dennycrane
sandysensfan
Riprock
NEELY
wprager
shabbs
Ev
Hoags
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 35 of 67]

511NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:07 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

shabbs wrote:
Riprock wrote:Just for fun...

If the average Canadian income is $46K, that's $3'833/month. On that salary, the typical mortgage approval is $211K.

For the average NHLer on a $2.4M salary, the monthly income is $200K, and they could get approved for an $11M home.

If you are an NHL player and for roughly half the year you are on the road, and you have a wife and 2-3 kids, you really do not need a mansion, so you could easily buy a $400-500K home, your typical 2,500 sq/ft, 4 bed, 3 bath type deal. You'd bank so much money, you could even live off the interest that $1M in a 4% interest account could accumulate.
Problem is, most hockey players aren't thinking like that. They're out there living it up, spending money on frivolous crap like blinged-out luxury cars, stoopid pricey shoes and other Dung and helping out family members and friends by giving them money, running up huge bar tabs etc... and getting involved in stupid business ventures... I'd say that a small percentage are making the wise choices and being smart with their money. But, maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully the athletes are getting better money advice these days.

Mr Ray Emery is a good example of a guy who pissed it all away and will probably be a very sad story when he hits the age of 40. I know for sure he has pissed away millions.

512NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:08 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
Riprock wrote:Just for fun...

If the average Canadian income is $46K, that's $3'833/month. On that salary, the typical mortgage approval is $211K.

For the average NHLer on a $2.4M salary, the monthly income is $200K, and they could get approved for an $11M home.

If you are an NHL player and for roughly half the year you are on the road, and you have a wife and 2-3 kids, you really do not need a mansion, so you could easily buy a $400-500K home, your typical 2,500 sq/ft, 4 bed, 3 bath type deal. You'd bank so much money, you could even live off the interest that $1M in a 4% interest account could accumulate.
Problem is, most hockey players aren't thinking like that. They're out there living it up, spending money on frivolous crap like blinged-out luxury cars, stoopid pricey shoes and other Dung and helping out family members and friends by giving them money, running up huge bar tabs etc... and getting involved in stupid business ventures... I'd say that a small percentage are making the wise choices and being smart with their money. But, maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully the athletes are getting better money advice these days.

I think Tie Domi had mortgage payments of over 15 grand per month.

513NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:09 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:Ron MacLean: No Lockout in 2012

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012/09/04/spf-nhl-nhlpa-cba-ron-maclean.html

What's the difference between his opinion and Don Cherry who insists there will be one?

Unless one side caves there will be a lockout, plain and simple. Neither one are economists... they know hockey, that's it.

514NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:11 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012/09/04/spf-nhl-nhlpa-cba-ron-maclean.html

What's the difference between his opinion and Don Cherry who insists there will be one?

Unless one side caves there will be a lockout, plain and simple. Neither one are economists... they know hockey, that's it.

That's why he says this at the end:

I want to thank Rod Fort, economics professor at University of Michigan, as always for his guiding hand in dissecting the game we're in. As Fort points out, Fehr has been in precisely this position many times at the MLBPA. Every time the PA stood its ground, there was never a lockout. The wildcard would be player solidarity. Fehr will keep them in check, and Bettman will make a deal.

515NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:14 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I guess Ron is saying that Fehr's reputation precedes him and that Bettman should know this. Make a deal now or risk a long lockout. Interesting. I don't see it happening. I see the players blinking first after a short lockout.

516NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:17 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

shabbs wrote:I guess Ron is saying that Fehr's reputation precedes him and that Bettman should know this. Make a deal now or risk a long lockout. Interesting. I don't see it happening. I see the players blinking first after a short lockout.

I disagreed with the entire thing. The NHL is based off of Canada, the MLB is not. Totally different countries, totally different business models, totally different situation. It's not the same at all and Bettman has proven along with the owners they are far more unified than the players every will be.

30 owners vs 1000 players. Which one will break first? The same one as last time.

517NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:19 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:

I want to thank Rod Fort, economics professor at University of Michigan, as always for his guiding hand in dissecting the game we're in. As Fort points out, Fehr has been in precisely this position many times at the MLBPA. Every time the PA stood its ground, there was never a lockout. The wildcard would be player solidarity. Fehr will keep them in check, and Bettman will make a deal.

PA stood their ground in the last lockout and lost millions from the year they were off, lost millions in the roll back, and lost millions from the damage it did to the game which they probably made back with a better on ice product.

This was an article by MacLean for the players saying they won't back down, nothing more. It's propaganda and you should realize that.

518NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:22 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:

PA stood their ground in the last lockout and lost millions from the year they were off, lost millions in the roll back, and lost millions from the damage it did to the game which they probably made back with a better on ice product.

This was an article by MacLean for the players saying they won't back down, nothing more. It's propaganda and you should realize that.

Why would he care about the players here? He used to be a ref and has always favoured the NHL.

anyways, it's just another take. No need to get all worked up about it. It doesn't make it propaganda if you don't agree with it. We're just showing all sides to the story and all the information we can get.

519NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:25 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Riprock wrote:The NHL could do A LOT to try to salvage the relationship with fans. Drop ticket prices significantly, sell jerseys for $45 bucks (like you can get online through bootleggers), offer free parking to games, etc.

Some NHL owners are probably going to save money with a lockout hehe. Like the guys that can barely pay the floor now not having to pay anything.

And as NEELY said, Melnyk can bring in more concerts, and the 67s will thrive. Bigger arena, more ticket sales. They just better not milk the ticket prices.

And the added benefit would be the kick-to-the-teeth of the players when HRR drops.

520NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:31 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:

Cherry's still thinking about the good ol' days when players had a reason to strike for better wages, and when they could make a similar living tending bar or waiting on tables. He's an old ex-player from before the golden age.

521NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:32 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:

Why would he care about the players here? He used to be a ref and has always favoured the NHL.

anyways, it's just another take. No need to get all worked up about it. It doesn't make it propaganda if you don't agree with it. We're just showing all sides to the story and all the information we can get.

Wasn't a whole lot of new info there. MLB feared Fehr, not the same issues as last time, etc, etc. MacLean hardly favours the NHL though, he rips into Bettman pretty good every chance he gets.

Either way, I think MacLean is way out to lunch on this one thinking that Bettman and the NHL will cave. In the same breath he uses Fehr's past as a reason the NHL will cave vs using the same line of thinking and saying the NHL will cave when they proved they won't in the past. That's why it's pro-player propaganda. It's a constradiction of itself.

522NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:33 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:

Cherry's still thinking about the good ol' days when players had a reason to strike for better wages, and when they could make a similar living tending bar or waiting on tables. He's an old ex-player from before the golden age.

Maybe but the point was neither him nor MacLean really have any idea what they are talking about.

523NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:47 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sad, but true

I always used to think that McLean was the brains in that outfit but I just read his article and I'm no-longer convinced. I don't really understand his point. But I must admit I liked the title. How many hits you think he would have gotten if the title was "Players won't cave; Bettman will be forced to make a deal" instead of "No lockout in 2012".

524NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:49 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:Sad, but true

I always used to think that McLean was the brains in that outfit but I just read his article and I'm no-longer convinced. I don't really understand his point. But I must admit I liked the title. How many hits you think he would have gotten if the title was "Players won't cave; Bettman will be forced to make a deal" instead of "No lockout in 2012".
:crossarms:

EXACTLY.

The entire article is awful.

525NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:57 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

Ron McLean thinks Bettman will back down and concede to Fehr.

Is this another player propoganda paid for by the NHLPA?

Bettman may come back with 50% split... but the players have to agree to that.

If they want more than the 50% -- then we know where the greed really lies.

They can sit out their 2 yrs with no salary -- except the rich superstars playing in Europe -- and rot in hell.

526NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:02 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ron Maclean or reporters in general don't set the title of their articles. Don't blame MacLean for that.

527NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:22 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:Ron Maclean or reporters in general don't set the title of their articles. Don't blame MacLean for that.

OK, phew, thanks for restoring my faith in the smaller one.

528NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:23 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

At the end of the day the revenues are going to be split 50/50. Simple as that. Whether it's tomorrow or a year from now that will be the end result and it's a joke people are wasting time and money worrying about it. That's why this is so stupid.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 35 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum