GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL CBA Talk

+18
DirtyDave
Oglethorpe
DefenceWinsChampionships
tim1_2
rooneypoo
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
Amnesia021
SeawaySensFan
spader
dennycrane
sandysensfan
Riprock
NEELY
wprager
shabbs
Ev
Hoags
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 33 of 67]

481NHL CBA Talk - Page 33 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:43 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:The NHL won't lose any Canadian fans even if they had a 3 year lockout

That's the problem right there though. Yes, 99% of Canadian hockey fans would be mad, but they'd return. The issue lies in the other 24 teams. Take out perhaps some of the bigger markets in the States - all 4 or 5 of them - then see what it does in terms of attendance to the markets in the US where people have choices. NFL? NBA? Nascar? MLB? Or do you want to wait and see if the smallest of the leagues - the one where basically it's been a battle to sustain relevance since the last lockout (and before) - can survive? I'll tell you what I think: a lot of them won't be able to survive a long lockout. Even if it's 6 months I think there's be substantial losses from the owners and revenue will be WAY down.

Canadian markets are and always will be fine, US markets - which basically fuel the league - are NOT fine.

482NHL CBA Talk - Page 33 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:44 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Is this site supporting the NHL or NHLPA in any way shape or form?

I think we all want it resolved - period, but if pressed, I support the NHL. The NHLPA better realize who butters their bread and resolve this.

483NHL CBA Talk - Page 33 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:48 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

The Dynamo-Avangard season opener will be on youtube-HD:

http://t.co/xk9nmasx

How long would the lockout have to go before Pro Hockey Life starts stocking KHL league jerseys? And they'll probably be about half what we now pay for NHL logos.

484NHL CBA Talk - Page 33 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:54 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Didn't realize the game has already started.

485NHL CBA Talk - Page 33 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:50 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:The NHL won't lose any Canadian fans even if they had a 3 year lockout

Ignorant statement. Simply not true because they lost me.

Then why are you still here?

I can be a fan and not give them a cent. This is a hockey web site, not an NHL web site.

486NHL CBA Talk - Page 33 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:06 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I'll also say this, this isn't the 70's and 80's where teams are making money left, right, and center and the players are relatively under paid. There are a lot more companies who own stadiums and hockey teams now than there ever was before.

The players should be reminded that the owners are not billionaires because they own a hockey team, they own a hockey team because they are billionaires. There is very little skin off the back of these owners if they miss a season, the players however? Well we all saw how the caved last time and this time it wont be any different. The day of the players saying "the owners will cave" ended last time. They have proven they won't.

487NHL CBA Talk - Page 33 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:15 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:I'll also say this, this isn't the 70's and 80's where teams are making money left, right, and center and the players are relatively under paid. There are a lot more companies who own stadiums and hockey teams now than there ever was before.

The players should be reminded that the owners are not billionaires because they own a hockey team, they own a hockey team because they are billionaires. There is very little skin off the back of these owners if they miss a season, the players however? Well we all saw how the caved last time and this time it wont be any different. The day of the players saying "the owners will cave" ended last time. They have proven they won't.

The players will have to learn, sooner or later, that the caving is done with individual contracts and not the CBA itself.

488NHL CBA Talk - Page 33 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:18 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:I'll also say this, this isn't the 70's and 80's where teams are making money left, right, and center and the players are relatively under paid. There are a lot more companies who own stadiums and hockey teams now than there ever was before.

The players will have to learn, sooner or later, that the caving is done with individual contracts and not the CBA itself.

Absolutely. The owners are moronic when it comes to actual hockey decisions. The CBA is part of the business, in this case the owners are not billionaires because they don't know how to make money or run a business away from hockey.

The NHL vs the NHLPA is like Mike Tyson vs an infant.

489NHL CBA Talk - Page 33 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:59 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
Just as an FYI the agents are the biggest scum bags here because they are the ones advising their players.

Not a fan of anyone with "agent" in their name when it comes to anything business or sales. Real estate, insurance or sports.

I'm pretty sure that I could negotiate my own professional sports contract. Facepalm

490NHL CBA Talk - Page 33 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:05 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

The NHL could do A LOT to try to salvage the relationship with fans. Drop ticket prices significantly, sell jerseys for $45 bucks (like you can get online through bootleggers), offer free parking to games, etc.

Some NHL owners are probably going to save money with a lockout hehe. Like the guys that can barely pay the floor now not having to pay anything.

And as NEELY said, Melnyk can bring in more concerts, and the 67s will thrive. Bigger arena, more ticket sales. They just better not milk the ticket prices.

491NHL CBA Talk - Page 33 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:06 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Riprock wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Just as an FYI the agents are the biggest scum bags here because they are the ones advising their players.

Not a fan of anyone with "agent" in their name when it comes to anything business or sales. Real estate, insurance or sports.

I'm pretty sure that I could negotiate my own professional sports contract. Facepalm

Brodure did for 20 years.

492NHL CBA Talk - Page 33 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:09 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Is it enforced now that you must be represented by an "agent"? I use "agent" loosely because I know people have used family members in the past.

So do you now have to have a licensed agent representing you in the NHL?

493NHL CBA Talk - Page 33 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:10 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Riprock wrote:Is it enforced now that you must be represented by an "agent"? I use "agent" loosely because I know people have used family members in the past.

So do you now have to have a licensed agent representing you in the NHL?

Nope.

494NHL CBA Talk - Page 33 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:13 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Well at least that's one positive. Players should have a choice in the matter. I'd make my spouse my agent.

495NHL CBA Talk - Page 33 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:17 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Riprock wrote:Well at least that's one positive. Players should have a choice in the matter. I'd make my spouse my agent.

People, for the most part, have an borderline high school education need people to think for them. Simple as that.

496NHL CBA Talk - Page 33 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:20 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

As of today, still no plans for any meetings between the NHL and NHLPA.

11 days to lockout...

497NHL CBA Talk - Page 33 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:21 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I wouldn't use high school education as any indication as to someone's intelligence though. There are so many dumb HS grads, and there are a lot of people that are mature and wise well beyond their years and don't even need HS.

498NHL CBA Talk - Page 33 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:23 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Hmm, not sure what I would do if I were an NHL player faced with a lockout. On the one hand, you get a full year off to spend with family you barely spend time with. You could travel together, etc. On the other hand, sitting out from hockey for a full year will leave you out of shape and rusty.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 33 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum