GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

CHL Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the three leagues

+10
rooneypoo
spader
wprager
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
NEELY
PTFlea
tim1_2
Ev
Riprock
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

No deals on the side, just threats that he wouldn't report to any of the other teams before Windsor.

Last year Max Domi was drafted by Kingston but wouldn't report and got traded to London. Jeff Skinner also pulled something like this, Nathan Mackinnon did this last year when he told Baie-Comeau he wouldn't report, and the guy Andrew Abou-Assaly who the 67's got in the third round this year would probably only report to Ottawa or else go the NCAA route.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Interesting. I remember the Domi situation. I guess they have the power now and will try to control their careers as early as possible. So much money on the line now.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

My wife's bro is a good buddy with a scout for the Soo and he gave me the low down on Ho-Sang and the "situation" there. Too much to write down here... but there is a lot of negotiating ahead of these drafts and kids make it known where they want to go via their agents... and the McDavid kid getting exceptional status added to the mix/complication. Sounds like Ho-Sang would have gone first overall had it not been for McDavid. The Soo wanted him too and were considering a trade with Windsor as they knew he wanted to go to Windsor. London also wanted him but were long shots due to their draft position. The Soo went with McCann in the end even though there were negotiations with Windsor for a pick and trade, which your not really allowed to do but seems that it's done anyways.

It will be interesting to see how Ho-Sang works out. Crazy offensive skills, but has issues in his own end and has been tagged as a "one dimensional player".

Drama drama, everywhere drama...

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:No deals on the side, just threats that he wouldn't report to any of the other teams before Windsor.

Last year Max Domi was drafted by Kingston but wouldn't report and got traded to London. Jeff Skinner also pulled something like this, Nathan Mackinnon did this last year when he told Baie-Comeau he wouldn't report, and the guy Andrew Abou-Assaly who the 67's got in the third round this year would probably only report to Ottawa or else go the NCAA route.

Something like that.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:No deals on the side, just threats that he wouldn't report to any of the other teams before Windsor.

Something like that.

does this mean you know him or something?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Eerie Otters select Oskar Dansk 3rd overall in the CHL import draft. London took DNikita Zadorov 9th overall.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/2012/08/10/king_on_ohl_spitfire_sanctions_tip_of_the_iceberg/

Investigations have concluded that the Windsor Spitfires have been found guilty of unethical business practices, to put it simply. No specific details have been made public, but basically they were buying players, thus buying championships.

It's completely unethical and completely takes the sportsmanship and integrity out of one of the best leagues for young players.

What a joke.

Also think that other teams might be biting their nails right now too.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Riprock wrote:http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/2012/08/10/king_on_ohl_spitfire_sanctions_tip_of_the_iceberg/

Investigations have concluded that the Windsor Spitfires have been found guilty of unethical business practices, to put it simply. No specific details have been made public, but basically they were buying players, thus buying championships.

It's completely unethical and completely takes the sportsmanship and integrity out of one of the best leagues for young players.

What a joke.

Also think that other teams might be biting their nails right now too.

The Yankees of the OHL.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Except that one is a major professional league, and the other is arguably professional. While the CHL is deemed "pro" because once players play there, they are no longer eligible for NCAA, and they get paid a marginal living allowance.

Huge difference between a billion dollar organization and a junior hockey team. Outbidding other teams in NHL, NBA, NFL or MLB is pretty fair - in CHL, there is not supposed to be any extra compensation. Every player league wide is compensated by the CHL equally. Only differences are from NHL teams that own their rights (signing bonuses).

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Spitfires fans crying foul because they allege other teams like London do it too - only difference is London isn't being called out yet.

So, even still - arguing that it is acceptable because "all the top teams do it" is not a good excuse.

I think what they league should do (if they already don't) is enforce that any player drafted by a CHL team must fulfil obligations to play for that team if they ever want to play in the league. If a player holds a team ransom by using NCAA as an option, then the players option should be only the CHL team that drafted them or NCAA. If they ever choose to leave the NCAA for the CHL, they must report to that team. Only way out is for a team to trade their rights.

What people are speculating is that the Spitfires (and allegedly other teams) hold discussions with draft-eligible players and make agreements to draft that player, and the player will tell any other interested teams that they will go to the NCAA instead . Sounds like the same kind of deal is made for Europeans in the import draft, except they are paid to refuse to report to other teams.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Bruce Garrioch retweeted
Terry Bridge @ObserverTerry · 45m 45 minutes ago

BREAKING: The Sarnia Sting have been sold to derian hatcher and David legwand

BOOM!

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock lmao

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote: Bruce Garrioch retweeted
Terry Bridge @ObserverTerry  ·  45m 45 minutes ago

BREAKING: The Sarnia Sting have been sold to derian hatcher and David legwand

BOOM!

What does an OHL team go for these days?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

10-15 mil. My in-laws just purchased one (part of) not long ago.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum