GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Week BEFORE July 1: Go!

+14
Flo The Action
TheAvatar
DefenceWinsChampionships
SeawaySensFan
spader
Hoags
SensHulk
rooneypoo
sandysensfan
shabbs
wprager
Ev
DirtyDave
PTFlea
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

46The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:06 am

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:PS, if Freidman is accurate and Fillipula is available, hopefully the Sens are after him hard. He's look good on our 2nd line IMO.
I'm not sure that's a good idea. we'd have t give up too much to get him. i'draather stay the course and land a UFA if we need to. obviously he'd be great but with having a decent prospect pool i'm not keen on messing with it.

47The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:07 am

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:Havlat is a big part of their offense, can't see the Wild trading him.

Would cost a LOT more than Lee as well.
No way is Minny dealing Havlat. they're lacking offense, not trying to deal it away.

48The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:12 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:PS, if Freidman is accurate and Fillipula is available, hopefully the Sens are after him hard. He's look good on our 2nd line IMO.
I'm not sure that's a good idea. we'd have t give up too much to get him. i'draather stay the course and land a UFA if we need to. obviously he'd be great but with having a decent prospect pool i'm not keen on messing with it.

That's ALWAYS the argument. Fact is, nothing is free. Besides, most deals end up being fair. Most recent example: Filatov. I recall, not so long ago, that it would have taken "too much" to get him too.

49The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:43 am

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

What about Scotty Upshall...

any interest?

50The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:45 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

22_4_ever wrote:What about Scotty Upshall...

any interest?

I think it's a top-6 centre or bust for this team, when it comes to this year's UFA crop. Either we feel like we need to fill that hole, or we do it internally. I'd say we're set on the wings, tho'.

51The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:47 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't think we can do much anymore. Some guys are getting a lot of loot, Connolly will probably ask for 4+ million on a 3 year term, and I doubt we're in on that. 3.5 X 2 would be a price that would be worth investigating, but no more IMO.

Arnott will likely sign with a contender. So that leaves precious little.

52The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:11 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:I don't think we can do much anymore. Some guys are getting a lot of loot, Connolly will probably ask for 4+ million on a 3 year term, and I doubt we're in on that. 3.5 X 2 would be a price that would be worth investigating, but no more IMO.

Arnott will likely sign with a contender. So that leaves precious little.

I don't disagree, but I do see it as an obvious hole that we may well want to fix via UFA. Trade is an option, too.

If Filppula is really available, perhaps we dangle Kuba and Wiercioch+, or something along those lines. Gives DET the help they need on the back end, somewhat, and of course some sugar to even the deal out. We've got the kind of prospect depth now that it makes sense to make a move of this kind, especially for a younger player.

53The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:29 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
I don't disagree, but I do see it as an obvious hole that we may well want to fix via UFA. Trade is an option, too.

If Filppula is really available, perhaps we dangle Kuba and Wiercioch+, or something along those lines. Gives DET the help they need on the back end, somewhat, and of course some sugar to even the deal out. We've got the kind of prospect depth now that it makes sense to make a move of this kind, especially for a younger player.

I'd love to get Filppula in Ottawa - not just because of his untapped offensive potential, but because of the relationship he surely has with MacLean. His numbers haven't hit where they should be IMO, but he's due for a breakout. If we could roust him out of Detroit for Wiercioch + Kuba + mid-level prospect, I'd be very pleased.

Although, I wonder if Leino isn't VERY similar and much cheaper in terms of assets.

54The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:32 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

I'd love to get Filppula in Ottawa - not just because of his untapped offensive potential, but because of the relationship he surely has with MacLean. His numbers haven't hit where they should be IMO, but he's due for a breakout. If we could roust him out of Detroit for Wiercioch + Kuba + mid-level prospect, I'd be very pleased.

Although, I wonder if Leino isn't VERY similar and much cheaper in terms of assets.

The difference is, Leino is not a centre, which is really what this team needs.

55The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:34 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:The difference is, Leino is not a centre, which is really what this team needs.

He plays all 3 forward positions I believe.

56The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:52 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

I could live with that trade. for some reason I've always felt Wiercioch would be traded someday. could dawg be the mid-level prospect? i'd be fine with that.

57The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:07 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:The difference is, Leino is not a centre, which is really what this team needs.

He plays all 3 forward positions I believe.

He took over 900 faceoffs last season at a 51 percent level.

58The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:28 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:Has Havlat every played with Spezza? I'm drawing a blank here.

I don't recall much of it. He used to be Fisher's right hand man back in the day IIRC.

Havlat has actually played with Spezza. They had instant chemistry....was a good combination.

59The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:59 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:My preferred top-six would be:

Filatov - Spezza - Michalek
Butler - Zibanejad - Alfredsson

Not to be all doomy and gloomy, but there are waaaaay too many question marks in this top six. This has "potential disaster" written all over it. Filatov could be a bust, Michalek is injury prone, and is likely better on the second line, Butler is a big question mark, Zibby is a HUGE question mark, and Alfie is old, and also injury prone. So five of those six guys are question marks. Great. I know it could be another really tough year, but we still need to sign at least one top six forward. I also know there aren't too many good options on the FA market, so it might mean overpaying for somebody...but I think it'd be worth it. We need a little insurance up front.

60The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:14 am

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Spezza too is injury prone. In the last six seasons, he has played 70 or more twice.

61The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:18 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:

Not to be all doomy and gloomy, but there are waaaaay too many question marks in this top six. This has "potential disaster" written all over it. Filatov could be a bust, Michalek is injury prone, and is likely better on the second line, Butler is a big question mark, Zibby is a HUGE question mark, and Alfie is old, and also injury prone. So five of those six guys are question marks. Great. I know it could be another really tough year, but we still need to sign at least one top six forward. I also know there aren't too many good options on the FA market, so it might mean overpaying for somebody...but I think it'd be worth it. We need a little insurance up front.

Problem with signing FA is it locks out any of the prospects for several years. You're not going to sign a FA for a few million dollars/season only to sit him on the bench because someone really impresses at training camp.

62The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:25 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Problem with signing FA is it locks out any of the prospects for several years. You're not going to sign a FA for a few million dollars/season only to sit him on the bench because someone really impresses at training camp.
we're not contending this year. let's roll the dices and see who can make it in the NHL when we have injuries. worst comes to worst we get a nice pick next year.

63The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! - Page 4 Empty Re: The Week BEFORE July 1: Go! Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:36 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:

I think Murray feels the same - I do. I feel great about the direction of the team - and wouldn't really care one way or the other, but getting another guy who can come in here and play a top 6 role would be a really strong move IMO. That's one of the reasons I've wanted Leino or Fleichmann for a while now, this team didn't score last year and we're adding Nikita Filatov as our answer to that? Dunno...I would get too used to the puck going in for the Sens this year as of right now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum